New Australian Distrubutors - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
    So your saying I should put up with paying twice as much, not three times as much, and be grateful for this because of "service". When "service" is generally involves ignoring you until you practically wave cash under their nose. Hmm real attractive.

While this might not be the case of some hobby stores, the ones that actually have decent service, and friendly staff, generally don't have what I want. Sure if I really want I could probably have got them to order it in (previous town, before moving to the black hole of decent hobby shops), but why bother when it takes longer than getting it from OS, costs twice as much, and it's a PART. You can hardly give service on a PART. Fair enough it was a nitro car, and say you needed help tuning, that's when service is nice. But when you know exactly what you need, what's the point?

Kieren
    When you go to a restaurant and get bad service, what do you do? Go to a different one. I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at.

Don't forget, this move has the potential to create GROWTH in the Australian local hobby industries, and we all know growth leads to competitiveness, higher volumes and an urge for business owners to do better... This all means cheaper prices and better service.

As for the Aussie Dollar, nobody seems to be able to grasp the fact that it's ''strong'' on the back of a diminishing USD. Nobody seems to understand the fact that nearly every resource in the entire world is priced and traded in USD, so if the purchasing power USD is falling, everything goes up, regardless of what that figure representing the Aussie Dollar is sitting at.

As an example, this is why petrol hasn't become cheaper even with an Aussie Dollar at $1.10. You probably noticed it was more expensive at times. It's because oil is priced in USD, and due to Quantitative Easing and such by the Fed, the USD has taken a severe dive. Therefore oil goes sky high against the USD, and therefore you don't see a change in the price of your fuel.

Cheers
    - RETIRED -

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Anfo your argument for shopping locally is groundless until the importers changer their business model. Everything is stupidly overpriced and it is hardly ever in stock. Even if it is at times you have more of a chance getting one from US before the Aussie shop. Most of them (hobby shops) are just plain useless and don't even get me started on their useless websites that either don't have stock level or it is always incorrect. There are a few (very few) good Aussie hobby shops but they are also at the mercy of the utterly incompetent and greedy local distributors. I know a few hobby shop owners that are buying in as much as they can from overseas. They can get it cheaper and quicker. Aussie hobby shops and Aussie distributors have a long way to go till they start to win Aussie customers over.
    BASH-BREAK-FIX-REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

I dont see many shops putting much back into the industry
    In Brisbane OZ RC sponsor a lot of events including on road, off road, drifting and rock crawling and i think a number of drivers as well. Trackside RC also sponsor a number of events as well a number of drivers. TO say there is no LHS input back into sport is rather short sighted to say the least.

The importers and distributors have been ripping us off long enough and there needs to be more competition within their industry. Another thing to consider is market size, and lets face it, Australia is a really small market. Small market equals less buying power of the distributor, thus higher prices. Until there is a relaxing of the protectionist parallel import laws, there will be no change at all for this and many other hobby segments.

And on the topic of size, Tower hobbies is bigger that most Australian distributors combine, and that's just on warehouse floorspace, when you have overseas retailers who are bigger than the entire industry in Australia its no wonder that our prices are so high.

At the end of the day, i want value for money, I am not going to pay $50-60 for a set of pre-mounts on road tires that i will wear out in less than one race meeting, which is a pretty standard price, i will buy the exact same tires from Honkers for $20 a set, and just bring in 10 sets at a time, rather than go tire shopping once a week at the LHS.

And matching prices of OS can be done, Spectrum DX3c is $10 dearer in Aus than overseas, Losi short course cars are not much dearer here than OS also, and there are a bunch of other things too like HobbyKings Aus warehouse prices. It can be done, it just means distributors need to stop taking baths in easy money and have to work, develop and grow their market rather than taking the easy ride they have had for many years and exploiting it.

And as a consumer, your only remedy for this issue is to take your hard earned and spend it overseas.
    Last edited by RogerDaShrubber; 05-09-2011 at 07:56 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by anf0 View Post
    When you go to a restaurant and get bad service, what do you do? Go to a different one. I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at.
    When your town has 2 that are just as hopeless as each other, your not exactly spoilt for choice...

Kieren
    What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis? Screwed...

Please for the love of god edit the subject of this post before my head explodes, or maybe I'm just Un-Autralian? (and a Distrubuter, to boot!)

(to make it easy, it should be: "New Australian Distributors")
    [SC18, Mamba Micro Pro, 5400KV, 3S] [Tamiya Super Cow Lunchbox, Sidewinder V2, 4600KV, 2S] [Mugen MBX6 ECO, RX8, 1900KV, 4S]
    Founding member, chief mechanic and engineer of Scratch's Lunchbox Racing Team

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
    Anfo your argument for shopping locally is groundless until the importers changer their business model. Everything is stupidly overpriced and it is hardly ever in stock. Even if it is at times you have more of a chance getting one from US before the Aussie shop. Most of them (hobby shops) are just plain useless and don't even get me started on their useless websites that either don't have stock level or it is always incorrect. There are a few (very few) good Aussie hobby shops but they are also at the mercy of the utterly incompetent and greedy local distributors. I know a few hobby shop owners that are buying in as much as they can from overseas. They can get it cheaper and quicker. Aussie hobby shops and Aussie distributors have a long way to go till they start to win Aussie customers over.

I have no clue what you're trying to say. If you expect change overnight then you're an idiot. If not, what exactly is your point?

Cheers
    - RETIRED -

R/C Apprentice
    No one really cares as hobbies are a very small part in today’s living.All the retail shops are suffering due to the market and now having to go online to catch a slice in trade.
    People get smart and shop online and if they are doing that for a hobby and can buy it 50% cheaper overseas then they will.

If the buyer is smart in saving money shopping online then the hobby shops need to follow that trend too in offering it online at a decent cut price or they will get left out and shut up shop.
    And would i care ..nope

I have no clue what you're trying to say. If you expect change overnight then you're an idiot. If not, what exactly is your point?

Cheers
    Who ever is prepared to pay almost four and a half times for a same part here just to get a friendly smile then they are an idiot. A certain Savage part I was recently after was quoted $22.00 for it + $9.90 for shipping from a well known Aussie hobby shop. Same part on Tower is $4.99 with $8 shipping or from US Ebay $5 and $6 shipping. To top it off they don't even have it in stock and judging by the last order I placed with them it will take them a better part of a month to get it in so why should I bother with them. I'll have it from the States in half the time and at the third of the price. If you want more examples just ask.

So you expect us to shop locally and pay two, three and sometimes four times the price for our parts in hope that two or three years down the track parts will get a little cheaper here??? I think everybody on here knows who the idiot is. Person that is suggesting something that stupid. That's who.

I say F--- the locally hobby shops and distributors if they can't keep the prices fair and keep parts in stock. To be honest the only thing I remember buying in the past few months from a local hobby shop has been Tamiya spray paint. It's not even so much the prices. I know when I want a part it is usually because I worn the old one out or broke it and the car is out of action. So that means I want the new part pretty quick and usually prepared to pay a little more. Nine times out of ten they don't have it in stock and they expect me to just sit there and wait. Not going to happen and I doubt many others are prepared to wait either.

I work in a hobby shop part time and believe it or not I don't even buy parts from the owner even though he gives them to me at cost price. Even the cost price is usually more than the price from US + shipping. So if I bought from him only the distributor would be pocketing the money. Screw them. Also after dealing over the phone with a few of the Aussie distributors I can't see any change coming any time soon.

Personally I think it is more the distributors than the actual hobby shops but also there is quite a number of hobby shops that are very greedy and put huge markups on their stock.

People who speak like you Anfo are usually the biggest hypocrites. They always wear clothing that is made overseas, own a foreign brand of car and there is probably a lot more. The clothing I am wearing right now (tackies, t-shirt and undies) are all made in Aus as well as my car (yes I just checked all the tags). I am supporting the local economy where it matters. With products that are made on our shores. You buy a Gucci wallet in a store and think you have done something for our economy????? Like F--- you did........

R/C Apprentice
    Absolutely spot on BIG-block.

This is a hobby and hobbies are meant to be fun. I don't enjoy walking into a hobby shop knowing I'll have to pay 2-3x the price I can get the same thing for overseas.
    GV Cage Brushless with Xerun 150A ESC and steel cage
    E-Maxx with Tacon 2150kv motor and Turnigy 150A ESC
    Traxxas Revo 3.3 | Stampede 4x4 VXL | Rustler XL-5 | Mini E-Revo with MMP running 4s

First of all... How did you know I shop at Gucci? That's a little scary. I support local business as much as I can... I eat out 3 or 4 times a week (not talking about fast food, but cafes and restaurants), I use a broker that provides an Australian office and employs Australians (in which I probably pay them 10 times the amount in a year that you spend on RC, thanks), I do wear some Australian made and branded clothes, mainly those from local clothing brands who are friends of friends trying to get started up. What Australian car do you drive? When they make a half decent one, I'll buy it.

What does this have to do with our RC debate anyways...

I never said go out there NOW and start purchasing, albeit you'll soon have no choice. However, in the long run prices will come down and you will be better off. Why are you so against it? If it's going to benefit you eventually and you can have a much better 'Australian' hobby experience, why are you mad? Also, what the hell are you going to do to stop this from happening? Keep talking on AUSRC so the 20 members interested in this thread can see? Please... Get over yourself.

By the way you say you're supporting the economy ''where it matters''... Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there tariffs in place on the textile industry to make Australian products more competitive? Hmmmmmmm.

Not that it makes a difference, you don't sound like you'd know your way around an elementary economics exam anyway.

Cheers
    - RETIRED -

To tell you the truth, I'm going to continue debating with you but I just want you to know I'm not getting a whole lot of motivation.

You clearly don't care about the local industry or 'Australian economy' anyway judging by your posts. You're worried about the short term effects on your back pocket. I don't blame you for it... Lmao but open your mind a little.

Cheers
    - RETIRED -

Oh wow you sound so knowledgeable and full of s---.

I think your reply says it all lmao. Well done buddy.

Cheers
    - RETIRED -

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
    That's how anf0 is, everyone knows that
    Hobao Hyper 8SC
    Axial SCX10
    LRP S10 Drifter
    Spektrum DX3C

Quote Originally Posted by RatsacK View Post
    That's how anf0 is, everyone knows that
    Do I always leave everyone speechless? Lol.

I'm sure he'll get over it. It's just a friendly debate after all

Cheers
    - RETIRED -

To tell you the truth, I'm going to continue debating with you but I just want you to know I'm not getting a whole lot of motivation.

You clearly don't care about the local industry or 'Australian economy' anyway judging by your posts. You're worried about the short term effects on your back pocket. I don't blame you for it... Lmao but open your mind a little.

Cheers
    This is A-Grade TROLL BAIT.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block
    OH NO, you ate the troll bait!!!!!!!!! /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by anf0
    Troll is now satisfied and can return to under the bridge.

Cheers
    I'll admit, it wasn't my best reply. The dog was about to chew my leg off so I had to go and walk him. I got half way through reading your post and had to go. No idea why I even posted that. I don't like ending on that kind of note.

Anyway I think it is of utmost importance that we support Aussie businesses but we can't be expected to pay such a huge premium for a simple service. After all what do they do? Click a couple of keys on a computer and box of parts turn up at their door a few weeks later. Same thing I do. Hardly worth charging an outrageous premium on that. Fair enough the convenience of walking up and buying what you want is worth something and I am happy to pay that but I am not happy to get ripped off blind in the process. That's not just RC we are talking about. Goes for everything.

I have had countless arguments with the owner of the hobby shop that I work in casually. I keep on trying to tell him to move products for less but at a higher volume. He was so against it because it meant more work. "Why bother sending out 50 orders a day when you can send out 40 and make the same profit?" was his argument. My argument is that he will have more overall customers. I think and most will agree that is the better way to go about it. More people you have in the hobby, the more people will follow. He just doesn't seem to get it but I think he is coming around slowly.

When they make a half decent one, I'll buy it.
    Well when a shop offers me products at reasonable prices I will buy from them. Same argument on my side and it's a pretty ****ty argument since you are flying the "Buy in Australia" banner.

To be honest I drive a Hybrid Camry at the moment. Why? Not because it is my favorite car (far from it although it beats walking any day) but because it keeps me in the job and about 5,000 other Aussies directly employed by Toyota and about 50,000 Aussies that are indirectly employed by them (suppliers, transport industry, etc.) I had a choice from many other Toyota's but chose to drive one that is made here.

How did I know you shop at Gucci? You are a spag-head, aren't you? LOL. Nah, just kidding. Simple profiling. You are always on here talking up how much you are going to make playing the stock market, this and that.... Came across people like you quite a few times in my time. Very few lived up to their words but the ones that did were usually the quieter ones. They went on about their business and not spent their time bragging. Still, I wish you all the luck in the world. Honestly.

Well I think this thread has run it's course. If I was a mod I'd lock it
    HPI Savage X: LRP .28, Hitec servos, Ofna thr mod, Fstln shock towers, Proline Big Joes, 3 Speed Tranny, 19T clutch / 52T metal spur, HD Dogs, steering bearings, HPI Tuned pipe, roll bars, RPM center plate
    HPI FirestormE: Novak Havoc Spec Brushless System 10.5T/4200kV, Futaba R603FF

Wow, so tell me again what all that had to do with the new aussie distributor?
    Align T-Rex 500 FBL (3GX), Align T-Rex 600 FBL (Beast X), Align T-Rex 450S Flybarred, Hangar 9 P40B Warhawk OS AX55, Hangar 9 Sundowner OS AX55

Haha I'm just a guy with a dream doing everything to make it happen. I'm not loaded or wealthy by any means... (Yet) but I did just start a fund with a partner and we have some good clients ready to be signed up, we're doing OK for a couple of teenage uni students lol. Thanks for the well wishes. I don't mean to come across the way you've implied, I absolutely love what I do and I'm very passionate.

Well I guess we have different taste in cars. I'm still a P-Plater so my choice is limited, but yes I drive a Jap car (Euro)... Just not into any Australian made or designed cars. Looks like we contribute to different sectors lol. You can get all (most) of the hobby grade things we're discussing within Australian borders though, which is the debate. At the end of the day I strongly feel you'll be better off. Might not be for a year or 2 as the transition is underway but I'm very confident longer term.

Cheers
    - RETIRED -

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast