New Australian Distrubutors - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Kyosho too. I tried buying some Kyosho gear of them and they said they can't although now it seems as it can be sent over. Who knows, it could be one of those things that just doesn't last. As someone said earlier it would be a stupid move on behalf of Traxxas and other US based manufacturers given the state of US economy.
    BASH-BREAK-FIX-REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Apprentice
    Exactly. Mavic, a French company, are big on this in the bike world. You go to one of the big UK online stores and sometimes you can't ship to aus for a while. There's always some store that will happily ship it and if not plenty of eBay sellers will.

Storm in a teacup. Distros and manufacturers are fighting a losing battle in a global market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GV Cage Brushless with Xerun 150A ESC and steel cage
    E-Maxx with Tacon 2150kv motor and Turnigy 150A ESC
    Traxxas Revo 3.3 | Stampede 4x4 VXL | Rustler XL-5 | Mini E-Revo with MMP running 4s

Just buy from Hong Kong instead. Problem Solved.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

It is a very real possibility of this happening, there are a number of online shops i buy runners from and brands like Asics, Nike and couple more i can't think of they are not allowed to ship to Aus, so you have find other ways of getting them here, as someone said there are companys which you can go through which will send it to an address in the states, repackage and forward on all for a pretty reasonable fee AND if still works out being a heap cheaper than buying locally.

Example, I got a pari fo runner shipped to AUS usign this particular company and they were about $130 including shipping with 4 other pair of shoes so we shared shipping, in the shops the same pair was $250...

SO i guess what i am saying is dont dismiss this and say it won't happen etc etc as it already IS happening for other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
    Just buy from Hong Kong instead. Problem Solved.
    problem is, i was in hong kong recently and there is very little traxxas cars/parts available in lhs' over there... and i went to every 1 of them. they're all around the mongkok area near the ladies market (night market) and the local street prices are not that crash hot either. strange as i thought traxxas in south east asia gets shipped direct from taiwan instead of doing a round trip via usa... unless some1's making some big $$'s somewhere... as most taiwanese cars and parts are not that expensive in hk (taiwan street prices plus 10%-15% tops).

the only way is buying online via rcmart or similar sites... but i'm not sure where they get their traxxas parts from...

R/C Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Baja View Post
    easy fix, rent a PO box in the US, have DDM/tower/amain or whatever send to your US po box with free shipping, pay the postage for it to come over here.... problem solved
    Spot on Mr Baja! My wife had US Mailing address setup for ages. If this will happen, we can all chip in for the yearly subscription to one of those and order via it, as you can have all mail to be redirected to multiple addresses in Australia. Problem solved. As many have pointed out, I am refusing to support local shops/distributers unless they sort out their prices!!!

I don't know if it's a new thing or not, but the most recent discount code email that came through yesterday/today from Tower states that the Discounts are not applicable to HPI items in Australia/New Zealand.
    As I said, I don't know if this is new as i've never really paid attention to the T's&C's on the discount codes before.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyButhid View Post
    I don't know if it's a new thing or not, but the most recent discount code email that came through yesterday/today from Tower states that the Discounts are not applicable to HPI items in Australia/New Zealand.
    As I said, I don't know if this is new as i've never really paid attention to the T's&C's on the discount codes before.
    I looked back to the coupon mail from January and May and that clause was not there so it must be pretty recent...
    [SC18, Mamba Micro Pro, 5400KV, 3S] [Tamiya Super Cow Lunchbox, Sidewinder V2, 4600KV, 2S] [Mugen MBX6 ECO, RX8, 1900KV, 4S]
    Founding member, chief mechanic and engineer of Scratch's Lunchbox Racing Team

R/C God
    Last nite i try a dumbie. Order for hotbodies didt say. That so must be only hpi unless they going do it to that brand who knows
    Serpent 811Be 2.0
    Serpent 811T-E
    All power By SMC Lipos

Quote Originally Posted by NITROBUSA View Post
    He said aparently the distrubuters for hpi, traxxas and axial are new and have slaped a court order or sumthing against the us companys that there not to sell to aus customers?
    This I doubt. However, the manufacturer may be putting pressure on US retailers not to sell to Australia. As others have said, there will always be ways around it though. Once I complained to a US retailer about their refusal to ship brand X guitar strings to Australia, only to be told "just shoot us an email and we'll sort out something for you". As long as the manufacturer/wholesaler doesn't find out, they really don't care.

I'm not sure on US laws, but in Australia it would be illegal behaviour for a wholesaler to withdraw supply from a retailer because they sell to other markets or at prices far below RRP. It is quite valid for the wholesaler to refuse to deal with a retailer because they dislike them though, so it can be difficult to prove the first case.

I boycotted brand X guitar strings anyway - there were plenty of other excellent makes around that don't engage in market protection. I'd suggest that if you're choosing between brands, go for the one that doesn't exhibit anti-competitive practices. If you have the choice, boycott the others. Parts support in this hobby is often hard to get locally anyway (and let's face it, this was the way of things long before the Internet gave us so many other choices), so we need to know that we can get our bits from overseas if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Banj0 View Post
    I'm not sure on US laws, but in Australia it would be illegal behaviour for a wholesaler to withdraw supply from a retailer because they sell to other markets or at prices far below RRP. It is quite valid for the wholesaler to refuse to deal with a retailer because they dislike them though, so it can be difficult to prove the first case.
    Dont know about this, think about xbox and playstation basiclly Sony and Microsoft determine the price that xbox and playstation sell for within a couple of dollars so bascially all retailer are very similar in price depending on the deal they have worked out with their supplier.

Same with DVD/Blu-ray which have region protection built in to the product. Market segmentation and regional protection has been around as long as first international mail delivery so it's not going anywhere any time soon.
    [SC18, Mamba Micro Pro, 5400KV, 3S] [Tamiya Super Cow Lunchbox, Sidewinder V2, 4600KV, 2S] [Mugen MBX6 ECO, RX8, 1900KV, 4S]

Suspect the margin is pretty low on those items anyway, so not a whole lot of room for retailers to discount. The info I had was advised to a friend by ACCC. Specifically it was around pricing, and distributors/manufacturers refusing to deal with a retailer because they price stock too low (protecting margins). The wholesaler/manufacturer cannot refuse to deal with the retailer because the retailer does not meet price requirements, but they can refuse to deal based on other reasons (eg...simply "we don't like you, so we won't supply you"). So, the rules are next to useless unless the supplier has been silly enough to put on the record that they won't supply the retailer because the retailer isn't selling at the right price.

Edit: I should say that this is domestic regulation. My original thought though was that in Australia at least, I don't think it would be possible to slap a lawsuit on retailers for selling items to the US - they have the freedom to sell to whomever they wish at whatever price they choose (excepting loss leading). My feeling is that surely the US offers similar protections to US retailers? I guess there's plenty of evidence pointing to anti-competitive practices like this over there. Not in the public interest for the US though surely.

This bit talks about pricing in Aus... http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/816373

I just visited the tower website and there is a section regarding international shipping and the countries that they do NOT ship to and we were not on that list?So what do you make of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
    I know it is the case in the hobby shop that I work in casually. The owner is bringing all the Traxxas parts in line with Tower prices + 10%.
    I wonder how much profit that would actually leave for a local store, given rent + staff + other overheads, etc.

I would definitely support a local store over ordering on the net if the price difference was 10-15%. I find it very hard to justify though when there is 50-200% difference though. It's a lot of money :/

What local stores sometimes don't get is that their only point of differentiation they have over a pure online store is personal service. Being able to walk in to a shop and shoot the **** with someone at the counter, get real unbiased product advice and post-sales support will make people forget they're paying an extra 50-200% and reach for their wallet again and again.

It's when you walk in to a retail store, get a bad or rude reception and are treated like an idiot that you start looking around for alternatives, and it only needs to happen once! Even though it's hard work, local retailers should be treating every customer who comes through the door like their long lost high school buddy, at the very least that's a good start at the very best you get a loyal satisfied customer who walks out wondering why you are treating them so well.

I'm no retail guru but I can say that the stores/suppliers I keep going back to regardless of price are the ones who treat me like I described above, and I know in the back of my mind it's probably an act but I don't care. If they are willing to go to that extra effort to make me feel comfortable with spending that extra money, they deserve it.

I agree with the above comments.

I used to work retail when I was younger, supermarkets in fact.

We were trained, expected, and wanted to give great customer service, we had to know the products, the store, and be able to answer any question the customers asked. And if we didn't know we were trained, expected and wanted to go and find out then go and find the customer to advise them.

I walk around most supermarkets/retail outlets these days and I'm gobsmacked at how "meh" everyone seems to be. Don't get me wrong, there's good and exceptional people around but they aren't the norm like when I was doing that job.

We went through a period of getting groceries home delivered. I works well but we decided to start shopping ourselves again.

As for hobby stores. I pay the extra because of the service, the fact most times I can have it that day rather than a week out, and the fact I can pick things up, prod them, poke them, ask questions about them...

Things I won't buy from the LHS includes batteries (eg $150 for a 3cell lipo versus $120 for three including 3day shipping) and cables etc (like parallel charging leads for $1.15 or battery adapters for $2)

Cheers
    :-)
    Russ

Things I won't buy from the LHS includes batteries (eg $150 for a 3cell lipo versus $120 for three including 3day shipping) and cables etc (like parallel charging leads for $1.15 or battery adapters for $2)
    Or things like screws and bolts, pack of 10 LHS 10 bucks, anywhere else 1 buck. Someone tell me that any LHS is not screwing people on these items. As for the distributors or Axiel products in Aust, they are a total joke, total imports for the Wraith, 20, total imports on a new HPI drifter soon to be released, 20. So i was told by a LSH in Brisbane. No wonder we are screwed for prices, the distributor has no buying power.
    Last edited by RogerDaShrubber; 02-09-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rjgowrie View Post
    I agree with the above comments.

I used to work retail when I was younger, supermarkets in fact.

We were trained, expected, and wanted to give great customer service, we had to know the products, the store, and be able to answer any question the customers asked. And if we didn't know we were trained, expected and wanted to go and find out then go and find the customer to advise them.

I walk around most supermarkets/retail outlets these days and I'm gobsmacked at how "meh" everyone seems to be. Don't get me wrong, there's good and exceptional people around but they aren't the norm like when I was doing that job.

We went through a period of getting groceries home delivered. I works well but we decided to start shopping ourselves again.
    Like you I was trained in retail, which was a long time ago, back then, employers wore the cost of that training, and we were expected to do our research as well, not that we had a lot of places to look, the internet didnt exist and computers were things that only large corporations and govt departments had.

After a couple of months, we were expected to be able the majority of customer questions and be able to transact most sales without help, and we were proud when we completed a sale on our own, esspecially if it was a large one, like a house load of electrical. Today it seems the young ones working the floor dont have the same drive to succeed and sales jobs are considered lack lustre, so no need to put any effort in.

The other point that comes to mind with sales people these days, most seemed to be trained in the art of people categorizing (looking at the outward appearance to ascertain the monetary wealth of a person), I find this to be a highly overated skill that not many are actually any good at. A typical example would be, me when I go shopping, I go out dressed down, so as not to appear affluent, I find the shop assistants overlook me regularly because of this and let me alone to look at what I want, until I approach them for assistance in making a purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Baja...Because Size Matters!

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

Quote Originally Posted by mickieboy View Post
    Last nite i try a dumbie. Order for hotbodies didt say. That so must be only hpi unless they going do it to that brand who knows
    I'm speechless.
    Cheers - Jeff.
    Baja 5BSS, buggys/truggys nitro rules! A couple of b/less drifters and nitro/bless helis and planes.
    Spektrum/JR and Futaba radios + empty wallet lol...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast