Australian RC Forums banner

New to on-road

6K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  stevoo 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I was just wondeing where most of you guys buy your upgrades online for FG Onroads? Likes pipes etc... Looking to get a few hop-ups

#2 ·
only one authorised seller in oz. colin at chequered flag racing

chequeredflagracing.com.au

ive been using colin for 2 years and cant fault his service, he knows everything about FG and certainly everything about fg on road, been racing them for years.

#4 ·
would come down to budget, FG on road pipe is half decent but there are much better if your willing to spend.

#8 ·
I spoke to Colin at CFR and he thinks its about 18months old so probably an Evo 8 or 9. However it is the all alloy version (no carbon but four wheel hydraulic Magura brakes) and not one that he has brought in. So someone must have purchased it from overseas.

#9 ·
what was colin's suggestion on a pipe?

#11 ·
Can you put up a pic of the car so we can ID it? Top and Bottom.

If you are going to race it about $400 is an appropriate budget for an pipe. Look at the FG steel side power (it is the stocker, what I use, and still the most popular, going on numbers, pipe on the fg's) or maybe a Samba 6 steel or Meilkie Hurracane. I have been told the Samba and Meilkie are cheap buying overseas ATM but I have had no experience with the euro shops.

If yours is just a FG competition or you are not club racing or you want to reduce the cost look at the budget Samba general purpose pipe $165 that CFR sell and you will probably not notice much difference.

Or you could go second hand but then I would only go for the current crop of pipes that I have mentioned above anyway.

#13 ·
Definatly a Competition line FG, maybe 06 or 07 as it has the current Magura brakes (they appeared 05/06) but has an older fuel tank set up and air cleaner than an 08 model. That tyre set up are from when the different GRP fronts were around which was 06/07.

If that pipe is currently on the car and working, I would personally leave it at that.

Are you planing on club racing?

#14 ·
Definatly a Competition line FG, maybe 06 or 07 as it has the current Magura brakes (they appeared 05/06) but has an older fuel tank set up and air cleaner than an 08 model. That tyre set up are from when the different GRP fronts were around which was 06/07.

If that pipe is currently on the car and working, I would personally leave it at that.

Are you planing on club racing?[/Q
Yeah i am planning on it at this stage

#15 ·
thats one awesome looking bit of kit

#17 ·
great bit of advice stevoo

#18 ·
So i gave the beast its first run today. Havent adjusted any ABS settings, brake/throttle curves or brake mixing and it seems to be ok in terms of power. but wil cold tyres and it sliding all over my street it was hard to get a real feel of it.
What sort of ride height should be aiming for? I will be running lime green barrell springs on the rear with 4000 oil and blue barrell springs on the front with 10000 oil on the front.

#19 ·
The tires need to have heat put into them to work. I would say they only have about 30 % of their possible grip levels when cold. Old tires loose their ability to warm up and go soft and grip - they dry out. If those tires are as old as I think, they might be a bin job even though they look alright still. You will never get any grip out of them no matter how hot you get them.

Dont bother with the ABS, The brakes should be adjusted as a starting point 70% front, 30% rear. For springs and oils it is track dependent, but as you are running on the street keep the rear softer than the front. The set up you have is quite hard as it is. On the nice smooth track we race on my ride height is 8mm front 8.5mm rear but you will probably need to increase that.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.