Australian RC Forums banner

Bennyd's new toy

15K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  BeatsMe 
#1 ·
Well boys, it's finally happened

After much negotiating, I have finally purchased myself an MCD RRV4 Competition

Will be mainly used at the SALS track at Monarto for the current Winter series and beyond.

Headed out to PSR on Saturday with the wife to make my purchase.

List picked out and purchased is as follows;
RRV4 Competition buggy running,
Zenoah G290RC
VRC silenced pipe
3 x Hitec 5755 servos (once they're back in stock)
and a Spektrum receiver to bind to my DX3S (already owned)

Other ancillaries I grabbed were;
VP 5000mah battery
Outerwears for the pullstart and filter
Hitec heavy duty switch
Elcon conical springs (for the drive cups to try and stop the dogbone popping problem)
Fullforce fuel fitting kit
ADA Billet intake manifold
FG linkage kit
And a Dubro filter for the breather pipe out the back.

Still waiting on an Elcon clutch and a Jofer servo tray for it, once PSR has them back in stock they'll be going onto it as well.

Reckon I've just about covered all the little fixes required out of the box, apart from the steering stoppers, but I'll get onto that soon enough.

Here's the obligatory gratuitous box shot

Plenty more pics to come as I get it out and start putting it together

Must thank Mike, Simsy, Dave and Skip (who just happened to be at PSR) for their help with my purchase. Thanks also to, of course, my wife.

Looking forward to this one guys , feel free to add any tips or comments.

Cheers
Ben

Edit: Forgot to add, I also paid my SALS membership while I was there, so it's all official now

See less See more
#3 ·
great stuff, enjoy that new car smell :D

awesome bit of kit, cant beleive how well they handle straight out of the box.

#5 ·
lookin good mate, but personally i woulda saved abit more and bought the FG leopard 4wd, woop the rrv4's ass from newcastle to perth

#7 ·
Thanks guys, here's a couple of unpacking pics from tonight (just to prove they're not empty boxes :p)

And a naked one :O

Still waiting on servos, an Elcon clutch and the Jofer servo tray before I can really start putting it together. Can still do the case mod and paint the shell though :)

Can't wait to start racing it, we can only hope skip, that would be awesome.

I'm living in Flagstaff Hill for the moment L_D, until the wife and I buy a place somewhere. Everywhere is a bit of a trek to Monarto though lol

Oh, and Mr.Baja, if you want an FG Leopard go ahead, save your money and buy one mate, this is what I wanted, so it's what I got.

#9 ·
hey benny, im not trying to be a d!ck or anything, but from what ive seen at the track and results in the 4wd class, the leopard is just insane compared to the fg, not saying that you shouldnt of bought it, was just sharing my 2.25c, if i offended you i am sorry

#10 ·
Well boys, it's finally happened

After much negotiating, I have finally purchased myself an MCD RRV4 Competition

Will be mainly used at the SALS track at Monarto for the current Winter series and beyond.

Headed out to PSR on Saturday with the wife to make my purchase.

List picked out and purchased is as follows;
RRV4 Competition buggy running,
Zenoah G290RC
VRC silenced pipe
3 x Hitec 5755 servos (once they're back in stock)
and a Spektrum receiver to bind to my DX3S (already owned)

Other ancillaries I grabbed were;
VP 5000mah battery
Outerwears for the pullstart and filter
Hitec heavy duty switch
Elcon conical springs (for the drive cups to try and stop the dogbone popping problem)
Fullforce fuel fitting kit
ADA Billet intake manifold
FG linkage kit
And a Dubro filter for the breather pipe out the back.

Still waiting on an Elcon clutch and a Jofer servo tray for it, once PSR has them back in stock they'll be going onto it as well.

Reckon I've just about covered all the little fixes required out of the box, apart from the steering stoppers, but I'll get onto that soon enough.

Here's the obligatory gratuitous box shot

Plenty more pics to come as I get it out and start putting it together

Must thank Mike, Simsy, Dave and Skip (who just happened to be at PSR) for their help with my purchase. Thanks also to, of course, my wife.

Looking forward to this one guys , feel free to add any tips or comments.

Cheers
Ben

Edit: Forgot to add, I also paid my SALS membership while I was there, so it's all official now
Nice work there mate, throw in a big thankyou to the missus to gain some brownie points for the upgrades, smooth.....very smooth.

#11 ·
mmmm very nice indeed. Can i ask roughly what it all set ya back. I do like the look of them but I think the missus wouldn't agree I NEED one lmao

#12 ·
Colour scheme is decided Ambro, you'll just have to wait ;) Racing should be awesome though.

It's cool Mr.Baja just lettin you know how I feel. Plenty if V4s here in SA if I need any help with it too :)

Thanks BBT, bits I'm waiting on already have approval from SWMBO, but it never hurts to earn some more points does it :D

Matt, for exact pricing check PSR's website or give Mike a call. I got discount as I'm a SALS member, but all told, round about the $3000 mark. Can't put a price on large scale fun though :thumb:

#17 ·
love the look of that pipe, love the raw fabricated look!

#20 ·
:lol: love the glass of burbon on the side

#24 ·
nice, the more you have the more artistic it ends up :lol:

#26 ·
Alright guys, thanks to skip, I have my Elcon clutch. Jofer servo tray is ordered and on it's way.

Strip down begins tomorrow night, after I pick up my servos and carby.

Can't wait!

Paint work is in progress also, just wait til you see it ;)

#28 ·
Well guys, I have my work area set-up in the garage ready to strip this thing to it's undies :eek:

Here's a couple of little stands I made this afternoon too, $5 footstool from Bunnings with a bit of non-slip matting on top :thumb:

And here's the Baja trying one out

First job is the case mod to the G290RC case, then I might start on my paintjob.

Looking forward to seeing what makes these things tick, and making sure it's all sweet for it's maiden run at the SALS test and tune day this Sunday.

Cheers guys
Ben

#29 ·
great stuff, nice clean area to begin with, enjoy it :D

#30 ·
One word of advise mate, don't drive the thing to it's limits every lap if you plan to race it or it won't do the distance. In saying that though, save it for the finals and they won't catch you.

Make sure that the throttle linkage is well lubbed up a well As it can stick to the servo horn every now and then.

Check every grub screw is nice and tight in all the shafts as they tend to screw off after a race meet.

It's a damn good car and enjoy it.:thumb:

#31 ·
Thanks steph, I'll take that advice on board :thumb:

I have an FG linkage kit here to use in place of the MCD linkages. Prevents the binding and also gives you a bit more progressive braking.

I have the buggy in pieces at the moment, going over it checking for loose bits and pieces, and plan to after each meet also.

I have done the case mod though

Followed the measurements given in the manual, but jeez it looks deep :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.