Australian RC Forums banner

Axial Wraith!

17K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  RogerDaShrubber 
#1 ·
When can we expect to get our hands on this truck here in Aus? Some sources say July,others are tipping later in the year! Does anyone have the inside scoop on the release date here? I want mine yesterday!

#2 ·
Have a look on crawlcanada.com, the wraith build there looks awsome they call it excessive force. The videos are sweet to. There a couple of others in the 2.2 thread aswell. Im keen to get one, tower is your best bet they might have them already and probably cheaper to.

#3 ·
We keep getting told the same thing, stock availablity both here and in the US is non-existant.

From past experience I think we will see the Wraith about September/October, right at the beginning of the Xmas shopping season.

#5 ·
I would like to believe that to be true, the Aust Distributor has other ideas about the expected delivery time frame.

#7 ·
I hope the guy who is looking at having these in 3 weeks hasnt done a deal to bring some in without going through the Aust Distributor, the last mob do do something like this caused the Aust Dist to drop the brand all together, which meant no parts support at all for that model or brand.

#10 ·
Geoff, fill your pocket with cold water to stop the cash burning a hole in your pocket....you can save it, I know you can. As soon as one arrives, I will send you a message, that is of course after I open it up to check it is all there in the box (he he).

Have you had a look at the "G Made" ? it looks pretty cool

#11 ·
Towie-What can I say,you are ALL heart! I have had a look at the G Made and it's a nice bit of gear but with a Losi Night Crawler, 2 x Ax10 Scorpions,an SCX10 Honcho and a Toyota CR-01 on the shelf the G Made will stick out like dogs b***s! At least with the Wraith I can tell Kim it's just a new body on an old crawler and MIGHT get away with it!

#12 ·
Get away with it...lol, Kim will spot that one a mile off, you got more chance of painting her Ute Pink and getting away with it.

The G-Made looks smaller, you could say size is relevant and that they increase in price as they get larger.

#16 ·
I think the 3500KV would be a little too fast for a crawler, the 21.5 should be fine, the thing that may dampen the idea maybe, there is no drag brake on the Sidewinder.

Geoff, Does Kim's ute still have the coffee machine in the glovebox?

#17 ·
Fair call on the VXL-don't think the lack of drag brake is an issue as it will only be a trail basher.
As far as the coffee machine in the glovebox of Kim's ute is concerned,it is now in the small toolbox on the back of the ute next to the Roundup weed spray-the coffee tastes like crap but it doesn't spill anymore!

#29 ·
Picked mine up yesterday-They seem to be as scarce as rocking horse s!!t.After I pulled it to pieces,it is ready for the following upgrades:
Sidewinder SCT esc & 21.5T brushless motor.
Spektrum receiver.
Axial alloy 90mm piggyback shocks to lower the ride height.
DS1015 XP Digital servo.
Vanquish steering rods on order.

#31 ·
Good call-I only pulled it to bits just to find my way around it as i do with all my new vehicles-the only thing fitted are the new shocks-took it for a test run and they have made a big difference-no bounce or roll.I will wait until the stock motor dies(that won't take long!)until I fit the brushless system-I've got a Castle BEC somewhere.
Thanks for the reminder-Geoff.

#33 ·
ITs kind of strange really that these are so rare, Axial is on a real winner here and yet they do not have the production capacity to be able to supply the market. These were meant to be here already in late July, July is all but over and i doubt that we will see them anytime soon unless you have had one on order for the last 6 months. I looked on tower hobbies in the US and they have August as a restock date, which is where i would buy the one i want, $350 US is a pretty good deal with exchange rates and all compared to $500 local.

#34 ·
Wraith Shortage.

I have seen a couple here on the Sunshine Coast-prices between $499-$525.They certainly are a piece of work out of the box.The only immediate upgrades needed are a stronger servo and replacing the steering links which are way too flexible.Lowering the suspension a bit and replacing the stock springs to overcome the bounce and body roll is not a bad option either.I have no idea why they are so scarce but i heard that the Australian Distributor only received a small part of their initial shipment so I suppose I was lucky to get mine at mate's rates as there seems to be a shortage here and overseas.
When the stock motor dies I will replace it with a Sidewinder SCT esc and 21.5 Turn brushless motor.Have Vanquish products steering links,steering knuckles,C hubs and rear lockouts on order.The plastic lower links have already been replaced with Traxxas metal ones-a cheap alternative to the original ones.:rolleyes:

#38 ·
ok, so who bought one and what are your thoughts?

a review i saw said the steering links were crap and the high COG was a bit crappy for the rolling........

have you had to grab any hop ups or do any setting up to correct issues?

also how did you find the stock esc/motor?

I'm looking at the RTR but if some of these are issues I might consider the kit....... which unfortunately adds up once servos, motor/esc and rx is added in.

#39 ·
Done a little work on these and so far the things I have noticed are...

*Steering links suck...they need upgrading
*Shafts need upgrading, and sooner than later
*Shocks also not champions of their field
*Diff housing where the C Hubs attach seems to strip out easily(the screw hole) and would benefit with the use of a more open threaded screw rather than the stock one that is fitted
*Steering Knuckles upgraded to alloy is also a popular choice.

the RTR version seems to have soft screws in the build, and when removing them to change out links and shafts, like to round out in the hex, so a screw wouldn't be left unopened for long either.
Be careful with the upgrades....some parts dont play well with others...the STRC steering knuckles dont "Just Fit" straight out of the bag, and require a LOT of modification to make them work. I would avoid them until the company has worked this one out, and just use the stock knuckles for now, unless someone has a better option available.

IMO the kit version comes with most of the problem areas attended to and for the extra few buck, and having the choice of electrics and also battery, rx and esc position during the build will be an advantage

#40 · (Edited)
Have done a little bit of work on the Wraith also and agree with Towie-steering links are crap,Chubs and steering knuckles WILL break,servo needs upgrading,the standard shocks are too long and stiff-90MM shocks are a good option.Of all the upgrades,I like Vanquish Products the best-top dollar but top quality.The Axial aftermarket alloy parts are also very good and worth a look.The stock Wraith driveshafts can be strengthened by using a length of 6MM diameter metal rod cut to size and superglued inside the smaller section of the driveshaft.I have used this method and it works-MIP shafts are the best aftermarket option when the factory shafts finally fail.If you don't want to replace the stock screws on the RTR,use a drop of superglue to secure them in place.

#41 · (Edited)
Thanks Geoff and Pete,

I am still looking at one of these, possibly as a Chrissy present so finding all the extras that I could grab straight off will be handy as I'd like to build the kit and include them in the build. I contemplated the extra front end to allow 4ws but for a day to day basher it wouldn't be needed and would cost way to much to strengthen again.

at this stage,

Kit
4pks rx
Vanquish dig set up
Vanquish C Hubs
Vanquish Knuckles
Vanquish Steering Link
Vanquish 3/16 Drag Link
Vanquish Chassis Mount Servo Kit
Vanquish Panhard Kit

#42 ·
Hey luke
The wraith is a great toy. Mine is the kit version it was good to build and coustomise. Vanquish parts are sweet there is so a cheaper brand called topcad that look not to bad. Dont know if id bother with 4ws they have a good turning circle with uni's in. You can come round and have a look at mine if you want
Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.