Canberra offroad tracks/bashing spots
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Canberra offroad tracks/bashing spots

Anyone know of some off-road racing clubs/tracks and bashing spots in Canberra? What classes do they run?

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Canberra off-road and bashing

Hi...month late to reply on this, but I'd be interested to hear if you've found anything in particular. The Off-road club races at Narrabundah behind the velodrome and meets every fortnight. It's a track designed for 1/8 truggies and buggies, and these rule supreme. Am interested in short course myself, but they have no such classes, and the track is not short course friendly (great track though). Not that I'd have a lot of time to race anyway.

There is a BMX track in Melba, which seems to be fenced off though. Another in Kambah, and I'm not sure if it's accessible.

Other than that I've been using dirt carparks. Also had a go at a beach (riversand) at Lake Ginninderra (SC with sand paddles on), which was a heap of fun but required a bit of effort in cleaning the truck later!

EDIT...forgot to mention...the club runs buggy, truggy, and sportsman classes. Sportsman is pretty much an open class, and includes newer racers as I understand it.

There don't seem to be a lot of people from Canberra on these forums and the club which Banj0 mentioned has a website but it's not updated much and the forums there are pretty much dead, I had to contact them directly to get some specific answers about the racing they hold there.

From what I found out, what Banj0 says is correct, they run 1/8th Buggy, Truggy and Sportsmans, mostly nitro, the sportsmans class is also open to EP and is mostly designed for beginners as an intro to racing. I spoke to the secretary and even though he didn't say it directly he implied that EP would be a waste of time and that if you wanted to race off road in Canberra you should get nitro.

I know that doesn't answer your question but it's good background when I tell you that as far as I can tell there really isn't a bashing scene in the region.

However, I live on 5 acres semi-rural and have started to build my own track, at the moment it's just a basic figure-8/oval mowed in the grass but I hope to carve it out and create jumps when the weather warms up a bit so if you're looking for somewhere RC friendly to bash, let me know and you're welcome to come out and drive around in circles on my grass

We also found a good bashing spot in Fairbairn behind the old Sergeants mess, they have recently spread out a cubic shiatload of dirt in the area and it's nice broken earth ripe for the bashing with no houses nearby, I'm out there some Saturday's with my son and our Lunchboxes.
    [SC18, Mamba Micro Pro, 5400KV, 3S] [Tamiya Super Cow Lunchbox, Sidewinder V2, 4600KV, 2S] [Mugen MBX6 ECO, RX8, 1900KV, 4S]
    Founding member, chief mechanic and engineer of Scratch's Lunchbox Racing Team

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

I've been in touch with the Canberra Off Road Model Car Club, specifically asking about short course and 1/10. They said that if there's 4 or more cars of the same class, then they're happy to race that class. Last meet they nearly had enough monster trucks to form a monster class.

Otherwise they still welcome all comers. If you're not driving nitro buggies or truggies, then you're covered by sportsman class (everything). Just watch out for those nitro truggies!

Personally I'd love to have a go at short course, though I don't know anyone else with short course trucks. I think 2WD stock would be a great class, and very affordable to get into. The new short course buggy that Losi has come out with looks exciting too!

The club may be building a cut through for smaller electric vehicles when they next have a maintenance day. Will be interesting if they go through with that.

Having said that, I'm getting an RC8be in the near future, so I may be able to keep up with some of the big boys in sportsman (when I learn how to drive)! Would still like to have a go at SC though!

First race meet is free!

Yeah, pretty much no chance of short course of 1/10th running which is why I bought the 1/8th I have, it's been a while but I know how to drive it's just the big jumps which scare me a little, the last time I raced RC the jumps were little more than bumps in the track.

Banj0, let me know when you have your RC8 ready to go and we can go have our first race as a couple of noobs, safety in numbers and all that
    [SC18, Mamba Micro Pro, 5400KV, 3S] [Tamiya Super Cow Lunchbox, Sidewinder V2, 4600KV, 2S] [Mugen MBX6 ECO, RX8, 1900KV, 4S]

Will post an update when it's done :-)

Aiming to have a go at racing on the 24th July. Trying to encourage everyone I know with 1/10 electric to come along, though that's not many people. If any forum members in Canberra are interested in 1/10 electric racing, then come along and maybe there will be enough for a class. Hope to have my RC8be built by then, but if not I'm game to put my 2WD Slash into Sportsman's class, though it may be truggy fodder! :-o

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while. I've been looking at getting into racing with my 1/10 and my 1/8 buggies. Hope to see you's on the 24th

Welcome to the forums elsid.

24th sounds like a date! I have finished the build of my ECO except for the body (painting that this weekend if it warms up!) and took it for its maiden voyage last weekend, it goes like the clappers and I'm really looking forward to giving it a run on a proper track. I'll begin negotiations with the minister so I can make it on the 24th, see you there!

At this rate we'll need our own sub forum for Canberra

Normal race meet today is cancelled and moved to next weekend due to water on the track. That means there will be two meets in a row, both while my family is away :-D

Received the RC8be and started building her. Not too far along just yet. Can't wait to get her finished and down to Narrabundah for a run!

Hope those weren't too big!

Looking good! One thing I did not check was what tyres the Canberra guys are mostly running, did you?

Have only spoken to one racer, who was talking crime fighters and bow ties from Proline, and I-beams and crossbrace from AKA. At least that's what I remember, but I may well have become confused while looking at all the options!

I've not spoken to any of the really fast drivers, though I suspect that the tires they're using may be the sort that last only a few races! :-o. Not sure if my pockets are deep enough for that!

I'll probably be making do with the M3 holeshots that come with the factory team ed RC8be

I have just put subcultures and carvers on the 2wd Slash. Was supposed to go out yesterday and see how well it goes but Jr wanted to fly his kite instead. Ah well.

I just got my Hyper 7 Pro UK which i'm pretty keen to give it a go at Narrabundah. Just need to finish giving it a tune and it should be sweet to go.
    Last edited by elslid; 10-07-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Just thought I'd post a pic of my Eco so if I manage to make it to the race on the 24th you'll know which one to steer clear of

IMG_6822 by Chris Hore (Scratch2k), on Flickr

I can understand now how cars become shelf queens, it looks so pretty I don't want to scuff/dirty it up by taking it to a track!

Oh yeah, Russell the secretary for CORMCC posted an FAQ mostly for my benefit to answer a bunch of noob questions I had about racing, it can be found here:

http://cormcc.org/forum/2-general-cu...d-questions#70

The RC8be is done...barring the lid, which by sheer coincidence I painted blue tonight (upon instruction from the little guy, who didn't like my idea of black with silver stripes). Should be ready to run this weekend! Hope to make it to the CORMCC track the next two Sundays!

FAQ has grown, that's good -answered some questions I hadn't thought of yet!

Should hopefully be a couple of my workmates there on the 24th also. One if those has nitro, the other electric, albeit minis and a monster, so dunno if he'll race. Still, should be a noobfest!

Dodgy phone pic of the lidless but otherwise completed RC8be attached.

Could I bring my slash 4x4 along. Just practice, yeah?
    [1/16 TURNIGY RALLY EXTREME EDITION] [HPI SAVAGE XS- 4S MENTAL!] [TRAXXAS SLASH 4x4] [BLADE 120 SR]

I think the Sportsmans class is where they put everyone who doesn't fit in the other classes so yes, you could probably get a run in with the slash in that class.

Keep in mind thought that your little plastic 4x4 1/10 scale will be on the track with 1/8 scale nitro and electric truggies and buggies so at best you will get in the way as they blast past, at worse you'll be a smear on the track because Sportmans is full of first time/not great drivers who are unlikely to posses the skill to avoid a collision (me included!).

However, if you can convince two other mates to come along with their 1/10 scales the club has said that they will start a new class for you.

Add to that, I'll try to bring my Slash 2WD (if I can fit it). If there's enough 1/10 electric vehicles there then they may have a 1/10 electric class. Alternatively could end up with a mixed short course class as a mate's son has a Traxxas Slayer (that would make 3 short course trucks). If that happens I'll drive two classes. :-)

If we get another class up then it will be a good day for noobs. Don't forget, your first race meet is free!

I could only get down occasionally-I'm in Bowral.

Do you know of any other clubs closer to bowral for more regular racing?
    [1/16 TURNIGY RALLY EXTREME EDITION] [HPI SAVAGE XS- 4S MENTAL!] [TRAXXAS SLASH 4x4] [BLADE 120 SR]

Quote Originally Posted by Banj0 View Post
    Add to that, I'll try to bring my Slash 2WD (if I can fit it). If there's enough 1/10 electric vehicles there then they may have a 1/10 electric class. Alternatively could end up with a mixed short course class as a mate's son has a Traxxas Slayer (that would make 3 short course trucks). If that happens I'll drive two classes. :-)

If we get another class up then it will be a good day for noobs. Don't forget, your first race meet is free!
    My neighbours kids have 1/10 Thunder Tiger buggies but they only ever seem to be able to keep on of them running at a time, I'll see if they are interested in racing them and drag them along, that'll give you your full class of 1/10th.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast