Australian RC Forums banner

is Gyro required on co-axial heli??

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  beano 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a T-Smart copter, 450size, co-axial with a combination RX/Gyro gadget and ESC for the brushed motors.

My question is, does a co-axial heli need a gyro? I would have though as long as the heli is level, it will only fly striaght up and down, there are no servos to control, and no conventional tail rotor (the tail rotor only pushes the tail up or down to make the main rotors pull the heli back or forward), so is there anything for a gyro to actually do?

The box says it has a gyro, but really the only control that steadies the heli seems to be the knob on the TX that controls the speed difference between the two sets of rotors to stop the heli spinning around.

I'd like to replace the stock RX setup with a 2.4GHz one, and use brushed ESCs for the three motors, but am not sure if some sort of gyro is required.

Cheers

#2 · (Edited)
How many channels is the transmitter ?

If it is only 3 or 4 channels then it may not have a gyro channel that needs to be controlled

Usually in the smaller helis the ESC / Gyro / RX are contained in single unit (board) and cant be seperated

Cheers

#4 ·
Thanks guys, it's only 3ch, throttle, spin left/right, and forward/reverse by spinning the tail rotor pushing the tail up or down. On the box it says 3.5ch, but this may be because of the LED lights that you can switch on/off from the TX.

It's not heading hold (it's only a cheapy toy heli), and it doesn't have a conventional tail rotor to control spinning (as the speed of the counter rotating rotors control that) so I don't see a need for a gyro.

Can't crash/kill it, first model, so it's sentimental. Plus it's already cost me heaps in spare parts every time I crash it bad.

So it looks like I should be able to get away with fitting a 2.4GHz RX and fit 3 x brushed ESCs and get a good result. Providing my Turnigy TX can program one of the knobs to balance the rotor speed to keep the heli from spinning. Will check that out first I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.