is Gyro required on co-axial heli??
    R/C Newbie

is Gyro required on co-axial heli??

Hey guys, I have a T-Smart copter, 450size, co-axial with a combination RX/Gyro gadget and ESC for the brushed motors.

My question is, does a co-axial heli need a gyro? I would have though as long as the heli is level, it will only fly striaght up and down, there are no servos to control, and no conventional tail rotor (the tail rotor only pushes the tail up or down to make the main rotors pull the heli back or forward), so is there anything for a gyro to actually do?

The box says it has a gyro, but really the only control that steadies the heli seems to be the knob on the TX that controls the speed difference between the two sets of rotors to stop the heli spinning around.

I'd like to replace the stock RX setup with a 2.4GHz one, and use brushed ESCs for the three motors, but am not sure if some sort of gyro is required.

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

How many channels is the transmitter ?

If it is only 3 or 4 channels then it may not have a gyro channel that needs to be controlled

Usually in the smaller helis the ESC / Gyro / RX are contained in single unit (board) and cant be seperated

Cheers
    Last edited by crusey_aus; 04-05-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    Slash Platinum Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv
    TT Brushless Go-Kart / Castle Mamba Micro
    Losi 1/24 Rally
    Blade 400, 120SR, MSR

R/C God

I thought they didn't need a gyro, due to the counter rotating blades - which effectively do the same work as the tail rotor countering the natural rotation of the main blades. The gyro simply corrected the rate at which the two forces work against each other.

However, there are different gyros with different functions.

For example, you may have some type of integrated heading hold gyro - which means that when set correctly, the heli will hold it's original heading, with no TX input.

Been out of helis for a while though, so there is more than a good chance I am wrong.

You should be able to use a 2.4 gig radio setup, but I am unsure about altering esc's motors etc as I have no idea how that would impact on the particular heli you are talking about.

If in doubt - just crash the Heli beyond repair and upgrade!!!!
    A wallet stopping Baja SS | Raptor 50 Titan | Brushless Helis | RB powered Stage D drifter

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Newbie
    Thanks guys, it's only 3ch, throttle, spin left/right, and forward/reverse by spinning the tail rotor pushing the tail up or down. On the box it says 3.5ch, but this may be because of the LED lights that you can switch on/off from the TX.

It's not heading hold (it's only a cheapy toy heli), and it doesn't have a conventional tail rotor to control spinning (as the speed of the counter rotating rotors control that) so I don't see a need for a gyro.

Can't crash/kill it, first model, so it's sentimental. Plus it's already cost me heaps in spare parts every time I crash it bad.

So it looks like I should be able to get away with fitting a 2.4GHz RX and fit 3 x brushed ESCs and get a good result. Providing my Turnigy TX can program one of the knobs to balance the rotor speed to keep the heli from spinning. Will check that out first I guess.