Australian RC Forums banner

The Nerd's new rig

20K views 138 replies 11 participants last post by  CiLyX 
#1 ·
I'm still in the collecting stage, but slowly but suring I'm getting it together. Full specs are

SDS Customz Al Fighter Axles
Holmes Hobbies 454 Puller 16t specials, with slotted arms
Futaba 4pl
Mamba micro pro's (this may change)
Hitec 7950 (this may also change)
CC bec
Berg small 3rds, 4th gears, large 3rds, large 2nds, small 2nds and gear pins
10x15 bearings x 6
5x10 bearings x 8
6x11 bearings x 2
Vanquish zero ackerman knuckles
Axial knuckle bushes
18 awg silver wire
Proto CrawlerX bodiless chassis
Revo and Jato rod ends
All fasteners express aluminum bolts
Lunsford Ti links (I might experiment with making my owe ti or 7075 links also)
SCX10 shocks
Mini T springs
Axial hexs
VP V3 SLWs
Eritex Charlottes
Boss Claws
Rovers
Nova's foams all round

:cool:
Kieren

See less See more
#34 ·
Here's a couple pictures of the test run. Machines quite nicely with a bit off cutting oil. Also threading isn't so bad once you get it started. Use decent cutting oil here also. I used rocol cutting oil throughout it's brown, oily and smells like maple syrup :lol: I ended up turning the rod down from 3/16" to 3.6mm for easy tapping. Still has plenty of bite in the revo end though. Next to the Ti is standard M4 all-thread for reference.

Kieren

#37 ·
Small update. Mamba Micros ordered along with the replacement shock shafts to replace the dodgy one on the SCX10 shocks. Still not very happy about having to fork out $14 for something that shouldn't be my problem.

Kieren

#41 ·
My esc's turned up today. I paid the measly sum of $3 for first class shipping from amain, yet despite this it was THE fastest I have ever received a parcel from the US. Now to those that pay for priority and express, I think you're being had.

Kieren

#42 ·
You know you're hardcore when you haven't even used your ESCs but they are already under the knife. Straight from the packet the case was removed, the white wire desoldered, switch removed and soldiered so it is permanently on at the board and then heatshrunk. From my rather inaccurate scales it is around 5-10g lighter per ESC.

Also I got a picture of the bad shock shaft, this is what you DON'T want your shafts to look like straight out of the packet. Not the clearest picture, but enough to get the general idea.

Slowly getting there...
Kieren

#43 ·
Just purchased myself a Futaba BLS157 at $183 shipped it is the most I have spent on a servo thus far. Lets hope it's worth it.

Kieren

#73 ·
Looks like a killer servo and should work very well with those kind of specs. The only thing that gets me is why don't the manufacturers make the top part of the servo (mounting tabs) out of alloy like the center is. With the torque figures a servo like that can generate I think the mounting tabs would be the weakest point. I have a Turnigy HV servo (no, I am not comparing it to the one you have) and I really like how the mounting tabs are alloy too.

#51 ·
Yeah that's what happens when you couldn't be stuffed taking it apart and putting the centre in the tailstock and it comes out.

Only one word comes to mind...
How?
Sometimes I get strange ideas, lathing down my shocks was one of them haha.

Kieren

#53 · (Edited)
All I need to fix it is the plastic caps which is nothing really. Well it seems that the team drivers got SDS to redesign the axle a bit some they are even better, so that's why it's taking so long. Hopefully soon though.

Kieren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.