Australian RC Forums banner

The Nerd's new rig

20K views 138 replies 11 participants last post by  CiLyX 
#1 ·
I'm still in the collecting stage, but slowly but suring I'm getting it together. Full specs are

SDS Customz Al Fighter Axles
Holmes Hobbies 454 Puller 16t specials, with slotted arms
Futaba 4pl
Mamba micro pro's (this may change)
Hitec 7950 (this may also change)
CC bec
Berg small 3rds, 4th gears, large 3rds, large 2nds, small 2nds and gear pins
10x15 bearings x 6
5x10 bearings x 8
6x11 bearings x 2
Vanquish zero ackerman knuckles
Axial knuckle bushes
18 awg silver wire
Proto CrawlerX bodiless chassis
Revo and Jato rod ends
All fasteners express aluminum bolts
Lunsford Ti links (I might experiment with making my owe ti or 7075 links also)
SCX10 shocks
Mini T springs
Axial hexs
VP V3 SLWs
Eritex Charlottes
Boss Claws
Rovers
Nova's foams all round

:cool:
Kieren

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I got another 3 orders yesterday. All I'm waiting on now that I have actually ordered is bearings from Avid and the wheels from Eritex. This waiting business till I can buy the axles is killing me
Also on a side note mini t front springs are to short to use with the stock preload nut (rear's may be a better choice?), so I'm going to make some clamp on ones that fit down a bit lower on the shock to hopefully solve the problem. Sorry no pictures at the moment but I'll get some up ASAP.

Kieren

#4 ·
Got my bearings from avid today. I now have all the insides for the axles. Also the proto chassis has been cut, and is looking very nice, but I'm not sure if I can put up pictures sorry. There doesn't seem to be many crawler appreciators on here either :lol:

Kieren

#5 ·
It's finally official, I own a set of Al fighter axles :D One more thing off the list. Only little things now that you always forget out of the big orders.

Kieren

#7 ·

The foams are about 1 and a 1/4 rover foams and a 1.9 CI foam all stuffed in. Nothing fancy and I just put it in there really cause I don't have anything else at the moment. I will probably pick up some new CI foams down the track to try out, but we'll see how this go. Sorry I didn't get any weights as it seems the scales have gone walkabout :rolleyes: Oh and finally BCs don't make for easy mounting on these wheels, it took me about 10 tries before I perfected the method :lol:

Kieren

#8 ·
Doesn't seem like there is many crawler fans on here. You might be able to enjoy the machine work on the various parts when it's done anyway.

Kieren

#10 ·
I want cash up front for replacements before you even try using them :lol: Not sure the scales have gone missing, I'll put up some weights once I find them.

Kieren

#11 ·
I've just been doing so calculations for hubs, and it looks like I'll need around 1.600" hubs on the rear and 1.225" hubs on the front to get the width roughly where it was on my old rig (725 front, 600 rear AX10 axles). Knuckle weights anyone?:lol: I've thought about going with wideners but I can't for the life of me find anything for bigger than M4 axles. So it looks like i'll be talking to gerame again and see what he can make me!

Kieren

#16 ·
No joke, I think I'll have plenty of clearance haha. Atleast with these I can use micro sidewinders which are only $50 a piece instead of $100 for FXRs.

Kieren

#20 ·
Fair enough:thumb:

nice list you got on parts in your first post.
i was into rock crawling but havnt used the rock crawler for about 1-2 years theres just no more places around where i live to crawl now days so the only places are natural formed stuff. (like the you yangs) but theres no way ill be riding 2 hours to get there. lol

anyway keep us updated mate. sounds like your going to have a blast with it.

cheers.

p.s i have an axial ax10 rtr with a few slight upgrades and a home made thing or 2 :)
Thanks, hopefully it all works together nicely. I've never crawled on anything but natural formations so that bit doesn't bother me!

Will do the axle are still be machined, so they could still be another 2-3weeks before I get them depending on how slow the post wants to be. As soon as I get them things should pick up pace a bit hopefully.

Kieren

#19 ·
nice list you got on parts in your first post.
i was into rock crawling but havnt used the rock crawler for about 1-2 years theres just no more places around where i live to crawl now days so the only places are natural formed stuff. (like the you yangs) but theres no way ill be riding 2 hours to get there. lol

anyway keep us updated mate. sounds like your going to have a blast with it.

cheers.

p.s i have an axial ax10 rtr with a few slight upgrades and a home made thing or 2 :)

#23 ·
Well I'm still waiting on SDS Customz for the axles. CrawlerX is still working on the proto chassis. I need to buy the ESCs, blue hardware, VP knuckles, shock shafts and wide hubs. And now I'm waiting on the Ti and m4 die so I can build the links. Trust me mate things are still a little ways out. Main things is getting my hands on the axles so then I can start build things. Till then it's a waiting game unfortunately.

Kieren

#24 ·
For those who don't know what the axles look like, these are some pictures of the proto's from SDS himself.

Hopefully mine will be here soon...

Kieren

#27 ·
Wow, it's a wonder how it doesn't just twist its way into destruction with that much torque.
Sounds epic though, haha.

#26 ·

Made a few amendments to my original knuckle design, and came up with this. Major advantage of extra wide hubs is I can have a fairly similar amount of weight to my old design, except all below the axle centre. As pictured, according to inventor, is about 190g. So up to 380g all up.

Kieren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.