Australian RC Forums banner

hsp crawler thread

34K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  Twizzleittery 
#1 ·
hi all, my new hsp crawler got here today and went for the first crawl. so far the standerd esc's drag break was enough to hold it anywhere it would go so it wont be upgraded for a while (untill it stops working). the tires look grippy but aren't very crash hot:mad: and the foams are soft, very soft actually but hold the wheight of the rig. the suspention is pretty sh!tty and the torque twist is massive and the chassis sits too high. the tires rub on the lower link and the body so the body will need some trimming. it goes almost 80 degreas up before it rolls backwards. it has no steering angle (about 10-15 degreas). and the gearbox is essentaily a cheap knock-off of the ax10 gearbox. all in all it's about what you would expect from hsp. so, here's some pics (forgot the camera when i took it for a run)

#4 ·
$170 plus postage

Then why did you buy a HSP? Why not save up and buy a better quality one, theres plenty around. Losi-night crawler,mini crawler, Axial-AX10 range, XR10, SCX10 range, Venom Creeper. Why when theres so many good quality crawlers around did you get a HSP one?
i only had $180 and i wanted a rtr crawler and a fast charger so i also got an imax b6 for $10, thats why i got hsp. although most of the problems were fixed with some free mods. it also came with pre installed 2.4g radio. well here are the pics:

#5 · (Edited)
It's a good buy for $170. However, I wouldn't be sinking cash into it to try and get it to be competitive with Ax10's and the like.

It might be an idea to only upgrade parts that are transferable just in case you get a better crawler kit in the future.

Just something simple like adding weights to your wheels can make a world of difference and it will cost you less than a dollar. Thats the sort of mods I'd be doing.

Either way you will have a ton of fun with it.

#9 · (Edited)
Well any weights wil do the job.

However, you need to remember that increasing the rotating mass of the wheels will also place a greater load on the drivetrain, shafts, esc, motor, batteries... and so on.

So start small and work your way up because if you go too big too early there is no coming back from a broken crawler to a functioning one without spending money.

#13 ·
Yeah, hsp. Then when I told them about it they said I had to buy it, so I sent them a reply and I said "I will not pay for an item covered under the 12-month warranty" so they sent back "we are very sorry, they are very reliable but we will send you a new replacement" this was all after a week of confusion. I am never ever getting anything hsp related again, especially not from rchobbyestore.:mad:

#20 ·
Yeah, hsp. Then when I told them about it they said I had to buy it, so I sent them a reply and I said "I will not pay for an item covered under the 12-month warranty" so they sent back "we are very sorry, they are very reliable but we will send you a new replacement" this was all after a week of confusion. I am never ever getting anything hsp related again, especially not from rchobbyestore.:mad:
A 12 month warranty, that is fantastic, most RC related items are only covered for 60~90 days due to the nature of the sport(RC), and only for Manufacturing Faults.

#18 ·
About $600 will get you an Axial SCX10 with a few aluminium goodies, 55t hand-wound motor, and a Mamba Max ESC.

If you want to shop overseas you will pay even less.

Bottom line though is that you will not need to spend any more money on it. Nothing ever wears out on these puppies.

Friend has been using his AX10 on an almost daily basis for over four years - and it's still running strong with the same mamba Sidewinder and 55T Integy motor it came with.

#19 ·
About $600 will get you an Axial SCX10 with a few aluminium goodies, 55t hand-wound motor, and a Mamba Max ESC.

If you want to shop overseas you will pay even less.

Bottom line though is that you will not need to spend any more money on it. Nothing ever wears out on these puppies.

Friend has been using his AX10 on an almost daily basis for over four years - and it's still running strong with the same mamba Sidewinder and 55T Integy motor it came with.
yeah, n=but if i spend that much in one go or a short period of time my mum would flip out to the max!

#21 ·
i'm ordering an scx10 conversion chassis in the next few days and i will also sell my nitro car and get some 1.9's. i went to the hobby pit stop at browns plains and i saw the scx10 for the first time and i was going to buy one there and then but don't have anywhere near enough. then i asked them if they had an scx10 conversion chassis and they thought i was talking about slot car, when they realized i was talking about the crawler the AXIAL rep. said i would have to get all the individual part numbers, and at that piont i was thinking, he's the axial rep. and he doesn't have a clue about the scx10 conversion chassis? so i tried explaining to him what the conversion chassis was but he still had no idea so that's why i'm buying from America.

#23 ·
Well its probably because there isn't a conversion kit as such. You need to buy to the chassis seperately to the kit which has a part number and any other axial parts needed for the conversion. Here's an ax10 to scx10 conversion. But be aware that while your truck and the ax10 look similar, some things maybe different: http://axialracing.com/wordpress/2009/05/12/convert-your-ax10-to-an-scx10/

#24 ·
Well its probably because there isn't a conversion kit as such. You need to buy to the chassis seperately to the kit which has a part number and any other axial parts needed for the conversion. Here's an ax10 to scx10 conversion. But be aware that while your truck and the ax10 look similar, some things maybe different: http://axialracing.com/wordpress/2009/05/12/convert-your-ax10-to-an-scx10/
yeah, but i measured up the bits of my crawler and they are the same as the ax10 measurements i was given so it should work.

#28 ·
Mate his just offering his advice i think you went a little over board but if you want to try it go for it if YOUR happy with what YOU have been told do what you want we wont tell YOU what to do just offer YOU advice...

Cheers brad

#29 ·
well, now that we have that sorted my new esc got here today and went for a drive and drove over a plastic container with bad results! the front left steering hub poped out and the dog bone phreaded the rest of the hub so it is now in three peices with the wheel and steering knuckle on the ground:( so i will order some replacements. also some good news, i'm getting an scx10 honcho:peace: i just need another $95 and i've got it.

#31 ·
He may have a diffrent HSP crawler mate.... Not real strong if you couldnt get it over a container mate lol

Cheers brad

#35 ·
well it was actually a cheap fix, i just used some locktight and stuck it back together and swapped it with one of the back hubs. hopefully i won't have any trouble with an scx10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.