3rd time lucky... Should have purchased right the first time!
    R/C Newbie

Thumbs up 3rd time lucky... Should have purchased right the first time!

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this great forum. Been posting at Heliguy (UK) over the years, but I'm going to stay local from now on.

Please forgive the long post...just a bit of history to introduce myself

After nearly a year off I'm keen to get back into the hobby. Before I outlay the $$$ I want to make sure I get it right this time. I wish I could have spent the cash I've already outlayed on something decent - but that's hindsight for ya...

After mucking around with a friends $30 2ch coax (foam jobbie) I thought I'd lash out and bought a $99 Apache 9088 coax from Jaycar as my first rc heli. I wasn't that impressed with it in general (too big for inside, too unstable for outside). It died a sudden death from 35ft into a concrete driveway after I lost control and it kept going up.

After a lot of internet research I went out and spent $180 on a Walkera 4#3B double brushless. I should have listened to the guys at Hobbyrama who said they don't even touch walkera's. It was just too fidgety for a noob like me and the constant crashing into walls and tiled floor just killed it. I did try to keep up with my damage bill with several parts orders from HK. But now I think it's too far gone and it's been sitting with it's WK2401 TX for 12 months.

So as much as I would like to re-use this good cond.Walkera TX, short of buying another walker BNF model, I should bite the bullet and go for the E-Flight Blade mSR.

After a few hours of reading this & other RC forums it seems there's plenty of others in the same boat. Folks who are looking for a better experience than they had with their Walkeras. More flying time - less repairing / downtime.

I understand I should have stuck with a decent indoor coax while learning (Esky lama for example). But my understanding is the mSR can take a few knocks and has better gyro balance than the 4#3B for beginners like me to achieve the magic 'hover'.

So my thoughts are:

$230 for the RTF Blade mSR (v.basic TX by the looks??).

and if budget permits get this for the better TX / upgrade path option and just get the BNF version of the Msr:

$465 for the RTF Blade 400 & DX6-i TX (that would give me the good TX that I could then use learning with the mSR).

If you've read this far - congratulations & apologies for the 'War & Peace' I wouldn't mind your thoughts, good & bad, on the potential purchases. I think it's a great hobby and too good to give up after some bad buying decisions.

Cheers,

Matt
    Last edited by MattyD; 28-12-2010 at 05:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Blade 400 RTF wins hands down , and even then you'll need to upgrade the electronics , servos at least , maybe gyro, to get a machine that flys well enough to be satisfying ; and FUN..

Helis , like r/c cars , aren't much fun if you go the cheap path .. but you already know that ..........
    QLD's Gold Coast.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MA Spectra G's ;Stratus's ; Extreme, E Razor , N Razor, Fury 55 ;Furion 6; Electric , Nitro & Gasser Whiplash's; ,Aeolus 50 3D ; TSA 600N ; TSA 700N; BeastX FBL electronics... XPS 2.4 GhZ radio........ lots of ignored planks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

first up WELCOME Matt, 1st question have you had much flying time
    2nd have you got your bronze wings
    if no to these questions go get a good simulator you would be better off spending your $ on it than a heli yet , go for a spektrum dx7 not bad price second had from most clubs that way you can fly any heli or plane (almost) go to the flying club near you if you live in brissy there is a dedicated heli club they are a great bunch of fellas they will teach you to fly your helli FREE beleive me i know through experience the bigger they are the easer they are to fly i started on a blade elect now fly raptor 90 if your after a good second hand nitro helli or plane go have a look here

http://www.rctrader.com.au/ you can pick up a good raptor 50 for about $450 then all you need is a good radio remmember get a good radio it will stay with you for many years i had my first 7 channel radio for about 15 years it went into planes, hellis cars and boats befor wheel radios that is hope this is of some help
    pete
    Sponsored by Daniels Pitstop
    dps Toxic 26cc Zenoah

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Newbie
    Thanks for the feedback there gents. My flying time has really been limited to beginner level mucking around with coax's, with the majority of my serious dedicated heli time focusing on repairing the damage to my 4#3B walkera..... I've got large hands and working with micro-soldering on those tiny wires was just not fun

So certainly no Bronze Wings for me yet. I appreciate the advice on the decent remote. In fact I was looking for 2nd hand on ebay but buying from a club would be better.

A common theme I read is about practicing on the simulator first. The good ones are around $300 a piece - that may make it a little out of my price range but I appreciate the value they would offer.

The RCHobby deal on the blade 400 seems a lot cheaper than when I last looked about 18months ago. At least having the decent 6ch TX would allow me to try the simulator as well as get better with the MSR.

I'll look into the local RC Heli club scene also.

Thanks again.
    Walkera 4#3B Double Brushless
    Blade mSR

Phoenix Flight Sim can be found for around $130 delivered

If that is still out of your pricerange an aussie company preflightsim.com sells a cheaper one ($50) that has pretty good Eflite models

If you cant stretch to the Blade 400 at the moment the Nine Eagles Solo Pro RTF has very similar flight characteristics to the Blade msr for half the price

Cheers
    Slash Platinum Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv
    TT Brushless Go-Kart / Castle Mamba Micro
    Losi 1/24 Rally
    Blade 400, 120SR, MSR

R/C Apprentice
    Hi Matty, welcome aboard. A good sim is a must, it will pay for itself quickly in reduced crashes and will make your flying experiences much richer (mostly due to not crashing). I fly a Blade 400 and recently stepped up to a Trex 550 which I fly using the Blade's dx6i. There is much truth in the claim that bigger is easier, unfortunately bigger can also be more more expensive and it can be very hard to justify the additional expense without having the experience to fly it which is why many of us start with 450's. IMHO the Blade 400 RTF kit represents really good value, you get a good Tx and a good aircraft that can be upgraded easily and relatively cheaply as required or desired, plus the dx6i can used for up to 10 different models once the fleet begins to grow, and it will . I will reiterate though, get yourself a sim, they will also let you fly on rainy days.

cheers

Harry
    A bad day's flying beats a good day's work everytime!

R/C Newbie
    Nice one, some good ideas there. The cheapest I could find for Pheonix sim delivered was around $170 (c/w DX6i adapter & from official AU supplier) but will keep hunting to find something closer to $130 you mentioned.

Good idea saving some $$ on the Nine Eagles Solo Pro, but I can't help but think it's in the same class as the CB100 (Walkera) and my old 4#3B that I destroyed. I just loathe the thought of re-wiring another tail motor or replacing another tail boom after some nasty landings on the Walkeras.

Unless I'm only reading only what I want to hear, many folks say the MCR is less twitchy and takes the knocks better than the walkeras??

If I go down today and spend $230 at my LHS for the RTF mCR does that crappy looking Xbox like TX going to be any good to learn on?

Refer: http://rchobbies.com.au/store/produc...ducts_id=45020

It's either that or order the Blade 400 RTF to get the DX6i before I even try flying the MCR (and maybe the Pheonix sim to boot).

Thanks again for all your valuable input.

Matt
    Blade mSR

Difference will be like night and day between the RTF TX and a programmable one such as the DX6i

MSR's can sure take a beating

If you can afford it grab the RTF 400 and the BNF MSR

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter; 29-12-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: removed non sponsor links
    Slash Platinum Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv
    TT Brushless Go-Kart / Castle Mamba Micro
    Losi 1/24 Rally
    Blade 400, 120SR, MSR

It all depends on whether electric helis or nitro is going to be your passion. If nitro is what you want to build up to then go for a secondhand DX7, the extra channel will be needed for a governor. If electrics are the go then the DX6i will do just nicely.
    Cheers - Jeff.
    Baja 5BSS, buggys/truggys nitro rules! A couple of b/less drifters and nitro/bless helis and planes.
    Spektrum/JR and Futaba radios + empty wallet lol...

R/C Newbie
    It's a tough one. I've been calling around for Brisbane stock of the MSR's and 400's and it's looking like a lot of stuff sold out before xmas. I was trying to see if I could get a deal for all 3 for around $650. RCHobbies is looking at around $665 + delivery.

I could just spend about a third of the $$ and just get the RTF MSR kit from my lhs for $230 as an interim fix to see if I've still got the bug

I even fired up my 4#3B today and she's still got some serious tail motor / ESC issues. It's no wonder when I've had to perform dodgy soldering on both the ESC's. It's just not worth replacing several pricey parts when I can't tell which is causing the fault (and probably will just break it again trying to hover!). When you compare it to the circuit board on the MSR's it's obvious there's a whole lot less to break on them. Combined with the 'self stabilising' I think I will derive a lot more pleasure from this. I understand this may wear off soon and I might be chasing a more challenging bird, but at least it's an inexpensive practice tool before moving up to the 400.
    Last edited by MattyD; 30-12-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Blade mSR

R/C Newbie
    **Follow up:

I bought the MSR rtf combo from some friendly folks over at Arana Hills. I honestly cannot believe the difference since my 4#3b. I was hovering in 1-2 batteries - something I couldn't achieve in MONTHS with the Walkera !!

Needless to say I'm stoked and looking fwd to practicing some basic control principles / manoeuvres that always evaded me with my previous heli. It's a v.basic TX but surprisingly it has some nice smarts (eg tone indicator on trim buttons; reduced sensitivity settings to stop beginners sending into a wall).

I will hone my skills on this little guy and when someone in the country gets stock of B400's in 2011 (or a good second hand deal) I will consider upgrading and getting the Pheonix sim before the maiden flight.

Thanks again for some very useful tips and suggestions.

Matt
    Blade mSR

Great to hear you're having fun !!!
    QLD's Gold Coast.

MA Spectra G's ;Stratus's ; Extreme, E Razor , N Razor, Fury 55 ;Furion 6; Electric , Nitro & Gasser Whiplash's; ,Aeolus 50 3D ; TSA 600N ; TSA 700N; BeastX FBL electronics... XPS 2.4 GhZ radio........ lots of ignored planks