Rounded of hex bolt in engine cylinder head
    R/C Apprentice

Rounded of hex bolt in engine cylinder head

Hi

i have a .30 Nosram and one of the 4 hex bolts in the cylinder head has rounded itself off. I can get the other 3 out, but the 4th one has rounded off and just doesnt move

Any ideas or options? other than a new engine

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

A torx bit can usually get some purchase where a hex won't. Pick a size which is nice and tight and use some heat on the area too. If that fails then you have to drill the bolt head and use a very small ezy-out.
    Rok RC - large scale tuning parts.

R/C Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Campbell View Post
    Hi

i have a .30 Nosram and one of the 4 hex bolts in the cylinder head has rounded itself off. I can get the other 3 out, but the 4th one has rounded off and just doesnt move

Any ideas or options? other than a new engine
    I just bought a bulk lot of engines and needed to drill out about 20 of the bolts, quite easy, if it's a 3mm bolt just hold it flat and square in a vertical drill and use a nice sharp 1/8th (3.2mm) drill bit and carefully drill the head off, it will break loose and stay on the drill bit, then lift the head off and undo the 'stud'.
    BB

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Apprentice
    I had this happen on one of my OS engines, I just grabbed a cobalt drill bit and could use a cordless drill to take off the tops of the screws. These screws were sunken also.

I could then take the cooling heard off and unscrew the stub with some pliers.