Australian RC Forums banner

T-rex 600N tail gear failure

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Virt 
#1 ·
Hey guys, anyone heard of the T-Rex600 tail drive bevel gears (at the tail end) stripping/cracking?

Mine went on my 3rd hover flight and cost me a few $$$, found most of the teeth missing from one of the gears, just wondering if this has happened in the past or was I just really unlucky.

#2 ·
Yep , very common ,,

it'll pay you to check those gears , and the front ones as well , EVERY TIME the tail blades touch the ground. Even a very light touch can be enough ..

That's why most recommend belt drive tail for learners , its much more forgiving ...

#4 ·
Don't get sucked in by those who suggest a longer tail fin either !!

Best way to avoid gear damage , and incidentally the correct way to land a heli , is to apply a slight forward cyclic command just before the heli and the planet meet ; around 30-50mm above ground works well ..

#5 ·
Thanks for the info, I always try to land that way but you know these things don't always work out as planned :p
Looks like there's not alot of information regarding tail drive gears breaking in flight so I guess I'll just have to be careful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.