Australian RC Forums banner

Venom creeper build

16K views 82 replies 15 participants last post by  Stewbaru 
#1 ·
Gday guys

I took the plunge and my wife got me a venom creeper its what i wanted so i see a lot of people ask about them so i was going to do a build tread so people can see what its like and stuff this is my first crawler so i will be learning to.

Should start in the next few days and will have pics of everything so people can see how it goes :D

Cheers brad

#2 ·
Goog stuff, cant wait to see it mate. I almost got one, I have heard mixed opinions about them, I recently got the Mini crawler by Losi only cos its small and I mainly use it inside.

I do like the look of the venom though, so it will be interesting to see what it is really like!

Dont forget to take a sh#t load of photos to show us all!

#3 ·
Hey mate i love your mini i will take loads of photos and i have heard mixed things about them to so this should be good and i hope everyone gets a good read cheers

Brad

#4 ·
First impressions when i opened the box was dam those tyres are sick.....
Lots of parts and a hell of a lot of screws lol

Attachments

#5 ·
Cool looks like there are a few alloy parts there! Are the instructions easy to follow?

The only kit I have ever built was a E550 raptor heli. I think I am due to build another kit soon! think it will be another crawler!

#6 ·
Fair bit of alloy in there mate lol i got the red kit mainly cause my wife liked red and the instructions are very easy to follow i was trying to find the screw bags to do the first section and there are so many it took forever everything is labled pretty much to complete 1 section of the truck so it tell you wat you need u get them put the parts on the table and somehow lol nope with the easy to follow instructions it will be easy to put together not sure if i will start today or tomorrow but the first part of the build is the box so thats were i will start ill get loads of pics to guys

Cheers brad

#9 ·
Got the transmission done tonight had a few issues getting it all the line up but worked out very good one i removed the extra bearing out that wasnt ment to be there and started the arms from the box so i will put some pics up tommorrow night

Cheers brad

#10 · (Edited)
Some pics imade up of the transmission

I did have a problem with the out put shaft of the gear box where the bolt bolts the gear on the shaft 1 out of 4 did not have a tread tapped at all so i had to over come that but other than that went together ok........

Attachments

#11 ·
Here are a few pics of upper batt tray, lower body links and upper body links also the chassis sides are all on now body mounts hope you like...

No real dramas so far so its going really well....

Attachments

#12 ·
building kits is the most fun , I wish all hobby grade rc was still build your own ,

#14 ·
although . . . on the AX10, the lockers are not crash hot even though they are sintered metal, so you are better off buying them off the bat and doing a complete tear down and replacing them.

Which is almost a build :)

#15 ·
Ill keep that in mind but at the moment i would like to see how it goes out of the box first then work my way up thanks for the tip ill get some pics of the diffs and bits up soon

Cheers brad

#16 ·
I was more pointing out that on the ax10 a locker replace is a worthwhile upgrade from the box and almost means that you have to tear down the car completely so it's almost a build :)

Will be good to get some first person experience on the forum with the Venom.

I agree with you as well. I only changed the lockers on my ax10 on the first few runs. Best to see what it does and then think about how you want to improve it

#17 ·
Gday guys been hard at it and friday i finshed work at 2 so i had heaps of time to play i got the diffs bolted on and shocks made and well finished it minus electrics......

Had some difficulty with the shocks they run a internal spring as well at the external and on the pre adj there is a rubber o ring to go inside and getting that in proved to be a pain.....

The bead lock tyres were very easy to bolt up i did not add any wieghts in the wheels yet but i will be when i get my stuff from ckrc crawlers as they have stick on strips and i think venom are a rip off when it comes to there weights..... other than that they have the foam in them not sure if i was ment to cut a star pattern or any pattern in the foam as i have read people do....

Over all with the build i was very happy instructions are very good and easy to follow the articulation on this thing it very unreal i do love it ....

The color read to stands out a lot

I have in mind of doing a sparkle black body and electrical gear will be as follows
-Novak 55 t Crawler brushed motor
-Esc -- Not 100% sure yet
-Servo MG995 high speed and torque

Open to suggestions on some other running gear or if anyone is trying to get rid of some

Cheers enjoy the pics:D

Attachments

#19 ·
I was having a look at it last night to notice one of the shocckers are leaking oil so i might have twistded a o ring i hope so i will pull it apart today and have a look

I was looking on ckrc crawlers before and i am interested in getting the stage 2 suspention kit that is available that comes with a pair of soft springs and some harder gray ones also it moves the mounting of the suspention and removes the batt tray but then i figure

Where do i put the battery???

So still trying to do some research on peoples set ups to find out if anyone knows let me know cheers

Brad

#20 ·
You'll probably find that there is a battery mount for the front axle. Generally speaking, the standard battery mounts for the AX-10, Creeper, etc are too high and the third party people make mounts to take the battery elsewhere and lower the CoG.

Have a look around for a front battery mount, there should be one on CKRC, something like a servo/battery mount for the front axle

#21 ·
You'll probably find that there is a battery mount for the front axle. Generally speaking, the standard battery mounts for the AX-10, Creeper, etc are too high and the third party people make mounts to take the battery elsewhere and lower the CoG.

Have a look around for a front battery mount, there should be one on CKRC, something like a servo/battery mount for the front axle

Hey mate i found what i am looking for i spose you only really need lil lipos dont you....

I rang venom group aus today in sydney and they are sending a new shocker body out as the one that came with the creeper had a slight crack in itand was leaking under load....

Got the clear of the missus to start finding prices for my electrics and hopefully if they are cheap enough i can get it lol

So if anyone has some gear eg motor servo esc (for a crawler would like instent reverse) let me know

Cheers brad

#22 ·
Looking really cool BS, I am interested to hear how it goes once it is 100% complete. Like I said previously I was going to get one of these but wasnt sure. I really like the look of them. If they perform I might think about getting one and building it.

Keep up the good work

#23 ·
Thanks mate...

I went next door today at work and got some stick on mag wheel wights to put on the rims as i think what venom charge is a crazy price so i got them and im going to put them on tonight i hope.....

I am also keen now to get the losi speed controler as you may have seen in my speed controler thread pete has given it a good wrap and uses it in his honco with a 55 turn novak

Still not sure what motor i am tossing up between the novak the venom and the intregy one i know i do want 55 turn

Also still waiting for my shocker body to roll up

I am very impressed with this besides the shocker body...

Anyone got ideas on how much weight i should put on the front wheels and rear like a good starting point

Cheers Brad

#24 ·
I generally look at putting 2/3 of the weight to the front axles and 1/3 to the rear.

So if you are adding 300grams total, 100g in each front wheel and 50g in each rear wheel.
I would think between 300g and 600g would be about right.

#25 ·
On my ax10 I have 100g per front and 60g per rear. You'll see a lot of people doing a lot of different thing but a lot will depend on the setup. I favour about 50% more in the front thand the rear, but I also have the battery mounted over the front axle.

Personally I'd go something like tow or I suggested but then play around and tune the weight till it does what you want

#26 ·
Gday guys

Today i got my shock body from venom in sydney very happy only took 2 days to get here

Also i went with 120 in the front and 70 in the back i will start there and see how i go i got a few pics of the progress pretty cool that you can use simple things like mag wheel weights to improve the proformace of you creeper :D

Thanks for the advice pete and carnivean

Enjoy the pics guys

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.