Australian RC Forums banner

'Recce 12' - 3 years of work

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  QIKFIX 
#1 · (Edited)
Thread about my constantly evolving go-anywhere crawler/basher.

Pronounced "Wreck-key 12" - Based off the pro line "recon" body.

Started out as a WK 4x4 bought in Tokyo, Japan.

Subsequently used as the basis for my design and technology HSC major work whereby the aim was to create a security solution for remote surveillance. Basically a rc truck with a camera mounted to go up stairs e.t.c.

Converted to a crawler according to hpi's wk coversion instructable.

Year 1
  • gear ratio lowered
  • both diffs locked
  • custom designed solid aluminium chassis plates
  • stretched wheelbase
  • 4ch receiver
  • servo reverse swap(puts batts up front)
  • camera mounting bracket had pan/tilt servos/plates installed.
  • Aluminium shockers installed
  • tv receiver mounted to 4ch tx
(project scored 84/100 for the hsc)

Year 2
  • stock tire hub broke so 4x proline flat iron m3 compound tires mounted on proline revolver beadlocks
  • Camera mounting plates removed (only bashing now)
  • New esc (old ones fuse blew-still ok)
  • 3 racing Cooling fan added
Year 3
  • Proline Recon body
  • Aluminium strc seetring links installed
  • Custom body posts.
  • Custom lighting brakets being installed for the roof of the body.
  • 3x led spotlights (possibly a 4th)
This is the most reliable rc ive ever owned, whilst not really fast it goes anywhere.

Pics of the machine as is crawling through 15cm+ of mud coming ASAP.

See less See more
#2 ·
haha awesome! Love the mud!

#6 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

Im thinking up gearing it back to get more bashing speed but i dont think the diffs will tolerate it.

Ill be posting up some more pics tonight or tommorow of it even dirtier, i mean completely black in mud.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

Im thinking up gearing it back to get more bashing speed but i dont think the diffs will tolerate it.

Ill be posting up some more pics tonight or tommorow of it even dirtier, i mean completely black in mud.
Kewl :cool: Can't wait :thumb: :)

#10 ·
man.. that would have to be the uggglliieeessttt,dirrtiest crawler ive ever seen..but like you said it goes anywhere and has stood the test of time..good work man..
Yeah thanks, I was hoping it would just survive till the HSC markers reviewed it, they actually had a go at driving it over an obstacle course i set out for them! But it turns out it exceeded that deadline by 2 years!

Well spotted there scott, it is a bit top heavy as there is quite a bit of aluminium plate on the top, this is exacerbated by soft shocks as well as super sticky tires, but all that body roll looks awesome for the camera!

In addition all of the electronics are housed up as high as possible to enable it to endure rough/wet/muddy ground.

At present I've sunk it as deep as 20~25cm of water and had no problems.

I have accidentally driven it of a submerged sand bank in a chasm of water about 50cm deep and that obviously shorted it but 2 hours in front of a fireplace getting dry and it was good to go.

As for those pics i promised, heres a teaser for now, rest will be up tonight.

Note: the other pics make this shot look clean, also notice the tire compression on the front right tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.