Australian RC Forums banner

First Crawler?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Carnivean 
#1 ·
Recently I have been getting a lot of questions regarding what to buy for a crawler, a lot of it based on price. So I thought I would list the commonly available crawlers/scalers, things you have to get and things you need.
This is all pretty simple and should be used as a guide. I haven’t heavily chased prices, just a quick browse (I didn’t hunt EBay or OS for example) and really should be the upper limit of what you have to pay I would think. Obviously remove the price tag for things you already have :)
I am going to list a “Getting Started” price which it to get the thing moving, and then an “Upgrade Cost” to get it running with a big servo/radio/esc/esc/etc. For the Kit style setups will list an Advance started cost.

First going to assume that you have a charger capable of charging LiPo and NiMH batteries. All of the cars listed below will love something like a 1000mAh to 1500mAh 20c battery. 2s or 3s LiPo is fine depending on the motor. You will get plenty of run time from it and you should be able to get a couple to suit for about $30 each maximum.
Battery Cost: $60

Second is radio. Going to assume you have one, so you just need an Rx, which I will roughly put at $100 where the car doesn’t have 2.4ghz radio.
Rx: $100

Third is the ESC/Motor combo. I am going to list as a stripped out RTR ESC and something like an Integy Lathe Motor. Advanced setups are reasonably similar for brushed and brushless and range from about $150-$250
Basic Motor/ESC: $80
Advanced Motor/ESC: $150-$250

Finally is servo. Basic I am just going to quote the Hitec 645MG servo. Advanced I am going to list the Spektrum 6030.
Basic Servo: $60
Advanced Servo: $100

Losi Night Crawler - $350
Get Started - $410
Upgrade Cost - $250-350

Losi Comp Crawler - $400
Get Started - $700
Upgrade Cost - $250-350
Advanced Startup - $810-$910

Axial AX10/SCX10 Kit (ARTR) - $400
Get Started - $700
Upgrade Cost - $250-350
Advanced Startup - $810-$910

Axial AX10/SCX10 RTR- $460
Get Started - $520
Upgrade Cost - $350-450

Venom Creeper - $300
Get Started - $600
Upgrade Cost - $250-350
Advanced Startup - $710-$810

Remember these prices are if you have nothing you can scrounge from other cars etc, worst case scenario stuff.

The main reason the Losi Night Crawler comes out on top is because it comes with 2.4ghz radio and the Losi Rx can bind with Spektrum Tx’es. Even if you don’t have a Spektrum Tx, you can just keep running the Losi.

So if you are not sure if you want to crawl, but want to give it a go AND have nothing to put into a crawler, it’s tough to beat the Losi NC. It's definitely best bang for buck.
If you have some of your own gear, the Losi CC and the SCX10/AX10 kits are the way to go

See less See more
#4 ·
another top post , with all the info needed , top work mate :thumb:

#6 ·
Lol cheers. Just figured if I am sending the same message a number of times, should put it in a thread ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.