Australian RC Forums banner

speed controllers

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Carnivean 
#1 ·
What is the best start for a rock crawler speed controller not sure what motor im getting yet 55 or 60 turn but at the same time dont want to spend a fortune as i saving for something ;)

Cheers brad

#2 ·
Probably your best bet is going to be to grab something brushed and simple. I'd look at the Axial RTR for super cheap with a 45T. Then grab a 2s lipo cut-off/alarm, you'll be close enough to hear it most times

#3 ·
+1 on the easy brushed set up . if you are looking at upgrading the whole system later then a nice rtr esc would be the go , but make sure you get the lvc alarm if you choose lipo

#4 ·
Im using a Caste Sidewinder, its fantastic for the 35t brushed motor im running, loads of programming options.
I ran it on 2s with only the internal BEC and my radio telemetry was recording rx voltage dropping down to 2.5v steering on carpet.
Im now on 3s with a 3a external BEC, voltage is rock solid at 6v, and i have loads more wheelspeed and just as much low speed control.

These ESCs can be had pretty cheap on fleabay, and they have a lipo cutoff, and can run a brushless motor later if you so desire.

#5 ·
If you're looking for a cheap option to run a brushed motor.

Works with anything over a 15t 540 or 12t 550, and includes a lipo cut off.
MSC12L Forward/Reverse ESC, LiPo Cutoff

Product Specifications

Forward:Yes, proportional
Reverse:Yes, proportional
Time Delay Brake:Yes
Input Voltage:4-cell (4.8 volts) to 6-cell (7.2 volts) DC NimH/NiCd or 2S (7.4 volts) LiPo
Momentary Peak Current:1000A Forward and 350A Backwards
Length:1.575 in (40mm)
Width:1.575 in (40mm)
Height:1.063 in (27mm)
Weight:1.87 oz (53g)
BEC Voltage:5V DC, 1 amp max. at 7.2V
PWM Frequency:1kHz
Overload Protection:Thermal
Full On Resistance:0.0014 Ohms Forward and 0.0028 Ohms Backwards

#6 ·
Forgot about that one. That's the one out of the Losi Night Crawler and the one I mentioned is the one from the AX10 RTR/RTC. Both are pretty much the same and can be had pretty cheap on EBay.

I'd be thinking you should be able to get the for around $50 landed, a little more if they include the motor.

#11 ·
Forgot about that one. That's the one out of the Losi Night Crawler and the one I mentioned is the one from the AX10 RTR/RTC. Both are pretty much the same and can be had pretty cheap on EBay.

I'd be thinking you should be able to get the for around $50 landed, a little more if they include the motor.
It is also the same ESC that Losi fitted to the Strike, and only vaguely different to the one they used in the Desert Truck, pretty good value though, $50 plus post ex RTR, and available locally.

#7 ·
sorry to say this, but the standard ax10 esc is crap.

i bought one, and within 2 days i have hurled it.

i now use a RC4WD Outcry. It is absolutely awesome for crawling at at $60 aus i was very happy.

http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_inf...d=952&osCsid=6ef319b137e3424922ae4077d171386a

I highly recommend for anything up to competition. It comes standard with a bec and everything.. only downfall is physical size. but i fitted on a Ax10 chassis

But if you do want a standard ax10 one, i got one you can have for $40 inc postage in australia

#10 ·

i bought one, and within 2 days i have hurled it.

i now use a RC4WD Outcry. It is absolutely awesome for crawling at at $60 aus i was very happy.

http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_inf...d=952&osCsid=6ef319b137e3424922ae4077d171386a

I highly recommend for anything up to competition. It comes standard with a bec and everything.. only downfall is physical size. but i fitted on a Ax10 chassis

But if you do want a standard ax10 one, i got one you can have for $40 inc postage in australia
You're kidding right?....it is crap but you would still ask $40 for it?

#9 ·
Never said it was going to be great. You always get what you pay for, but it gets the job done.

Lot of people have great success with the CC ESCs as well.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the help guys still trying to find one lol thanks for the options thou Do they all have intance reverse?

#14 ·
The Losi ESC has a crawler mode built in, allows you to go from full speed FWD to Brake instantly, and if you let it go to neutral it is full brake, works really well for crawling, no roll without power.

I am currently running a Novak 55t on the Losi ESC in the Honcho, so far it has performed flawlessly, built in lipo cut off also adds a little peace of mind, knowing you can over-discharge the battery.

#15 ·
I'd suggest getting a limit you are allowed to spend and then come back to us. Get the minister involved now :)

#16 ·
i like the sound of the losi one if its at the right price i want to spend about 50 on a speedyand i am thinking of a venom 55 turn or the novak one to run with it are these speedies on ebay i type the model in but nothing came up

Cheers brad

#17 ·
I'd opt for a little more wheel speed and grab a 45T. You can always gear down a little and there will be plenty of torque still

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.