Australian RC Forums banner

Billys new toy

25K views 91 replies 22 participants last post by  stephoon 
#1 · (Edited)
Just picked up my new mcd v3.This is going to be my new car for the summer series at sols,yes I know we've just started winter but I already have the redcat and baja for those so this is going to be built up in the coming months.At the moment it is just a roller so here are pics of it today I will add pics and posts as I add the other bits,at the moment it is just on 8kg.:preggers:

#3 ·
Cheers mate I am impressed with the quality and the layout of it also you can also get adapters to run the hpi wheels which is good news.Only down side was there is absolutely no instuctions at all not even a list of part numbers for the spares.Other than that I"m pretty chuffed.:lock1:

#5 ·
Thanks duddy still have to get servos,motor,pipe and such it would be nice to put a rexxy shell and tyres on it but the mcd bodys are'nt cheap I think about 200 bucks shipped so this will just sit in the garage and get put together as I can.I cant forget about the mighty redcat its the fastest brick with wheels.

#7 ·
Thanks MM yes they are a quality piece of kit I"d love to get it going asap but funds are a bit tight at the moment hence it will be awhile till its ready.What engine and pipe are you running in yours I"m just after some pointers as to what I should go with.

#8 ·
I have a dead stock 4 bolt 26 zen with a DDM 7500 clutch spring and VRC side pipe (unsilenced).

To be honest I am happy with it but if I had to be picky it needs a little more punch down low, I am not too keen on the 8K springs from HPI (IMO they get sloppy real quick and the DDM ones are more consistent), I love the pipe it is a real top end pipe, the car just revs to the moon and back but just needs a little low down punch.

I'd maybe suggest the 29cc 4 bolt zen or a worked 26. I now have a 4 bolt 26 with some work to it and an ADA head kit so that will be in it shortly and I will see how I like it. A bit more low down punch will help me to go up a gear ratio and not lose any out of the corners when I want to get on the gas.

#13 ·
Cheers fellas in regards the pipe I will go with the vrc unit as for motors would love a 4 bolt but I have 2 complete 2 bolt bottom ends so I will go with a 29 or 30.5 just seems a waste to not use what I have lying around.Any one reccomend a good head kit,either zen or cy.

#15 ·
Billy it did go hard, I still have it and the 2 bolt Zenoah as well.

They both need a bit of TLC, I want to put the Zen in the 5T, not that the 26 CY has died yet. Still going strong and it's 12 months old

The Zen head kit will be cheaper that the Dark soul version, the alloy cooling head was $150 without the head itself...

#17 · (Edited)
Okay thats done well today I put on the gear carrier and one of the centre bearing holders.I could only do one as the grub screws on the drive cup on one end were absolutey not going to undo.I tried heat,wd40,thinners even put it in the oven,it would not give and end result 2 stripped out grub screws.Answer mcd use some bloody good loctite.At this point I admit defeat to the loctite and I had to dremel the drive cup off the centre shaft so I will be getting a new one soon.Heres some pics.

#20 ·
thanks mate its getting there.I decided I'm going to use the motor out of my baja and the electonics,so it will have a 5995 for throttle and brakes,2 5745s for steering and a 30.5 for the donk so really all I need is a pipe and a few spares.So now I am left with a baja rolling chassis so if anyone wants a complete roller let me know.Tomorrow I'm going to make up some new front and rear bumpers should be interesting how they turn out.

#21 ·
Billy, Congrats on you purchase of the MCD :thumb: How's the shell going ?? I don't think i saw it on here or did i miss it ??

I have been thinking of make a front bumper too, i've been looking for the right material... what have you used ?? I have been looking for a thick cutting board from places like kmart or kitchen shops, have not found a good strong one yet. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

#22 ·
Hey Billy you are going to love that MCD theres nothing like controling a MCD Drifting around the corners. As for motor sujestions I have run mine with a 30.5 but I found it just ran out of revs on the longer streights I am currently running a ESP 27.2 with a jetpro top end pipe I find this combo gives the punch on the botom end as its a 2mm stroker but only being a small piston it still revs its head off. Of course the ESP, ADA or O'niel decked heads are the only way to go no need to stack gaskets so they dont leak and the port timeing stays where its suposed to be.

#23 ·
Franco you did'nt miss the shell just have'nt deciced on paint yet,considering the price of these shells I have been thinking I might get someone to paint it properley.I have a few ideas rolling around in my head.

In re bumpers I picked up a pack of 3 chopping boards for $15 at kmart,I have the worx bumper on the redcat so judging by that you dont want it really thick the ones I got were thethinner of the ones they sell.

As for motors the straight at the sols track is'nt that long so I dont think it will run out of puff,I dont use my baja at all now so i thought why not use everything i can from that electrics,motor,I can always get the 30.5 ported and give it some more berries.

I will post pics and tell you how my bumpers turn out.

#24 ·
This thread should really go into the new MCD section.

Nice ride Billy.

Let me know if you want the thread moved.

#27 ·
Moved as requested BB.

Cheers,

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.