Australian RC Forums banner

Billys new toy

25K views 91 replies 22 participants last post by  stephoon 
#1 · (Edited)
Just picked up my new mcd v3.This is going to be my new car for the summer series at sols,yes I know we've just started winter but I already have the redcat and baja for those so this is going to be built up in the coming months.At the moment it is just a roller so here are pics of it today I will add pics and posts as I add the other bits,at the moment it is just on 8kg.:preggers:

#74 ·
Well finally took the car out to the track today for a little play and mate what a rip snorta :D.Goes turns and handles like a dream,I am mighty impressed!On a down note burnt out a 5755 throttle servo and it only did about 15 min so I have taken the one out of the redcat and its all well again.I think all the travel and epa was out on the brakes and that might be why it died,I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

#75 ·
You did seem to go very good with it today, I think i'll have to start wearing ear plugs with you and MM racing around the track... those unsilenced vrc pipes are so dam loud.

#76 ·
Well after my first race day with it I was chuffed with it.Damage for the day was
1 broken pullstart,2 front wheel nuts after losing the second one in the final we could'nt restart it so dnf for me.:bang:.Also broke a front shock lower plastic fork luckily I bought 4 new shocks off beatsme on the day so I had a couple of spares.I just gave my plastic card a bit of a workout ordering a bucketload of spares,new motor and some other odds and ends.:thumb:

#77 ·
Billy I was watching you in the final mate and you where getting better as time went on, I realized later that I shouldn't have shut the engine down when the wheel nut came off.. I forgot about the pull start...:bang: Sorry Pal

#78 ·
Well with the aussie dollar going great at the moment did a bit of shopping.New motor some spare arms,tunbuckles,2 ultimate alloy arms for the front,some hpi adapters and a DS lightened flywheel.I would have got alot of this locally but a( was out of stock b( even after paying for shipping I still came out WAY infront.Might as well get it while the going is good.:cool:

#79 ·
99c from what i heard this morning, makes me wish i was a fortnight more patient for my parts.

#81 ·
Hahahahahah you've got to be kidding. Right?

He knows sweet **** all. All he did was copy someone else and use me to do it for him.
Now he thinks he knows what to do.
I didn't tell him everything steph.

Can't believe you actually think it was him building your motors. Lmao.

#83 ·
So after sundays dismal running decided for the time being I'm going to an x-can that vrc pipe is even starting to give me the s***s.I gave it a good clean and discovered there was 1 screw holding the gear carrier in:bang:.Thats all fixed going to replace the melted fuel line and secure all the servos with FF servo mounts.And I'm going to replace all the fluid in the shocks its just to bouncy would like it to stick to the track,anyone got any ideas as to what weight I should put in was thinking around 60-80 silicone oil:thumb:?

#84 ·
Hey Billybob,

Thanks to Homie's suggestion we run 10wt rear 35wt front in our baja's not sure if the same set up would work in the 4x4

#85 ·
Hey BB I removed the thick oil and tried motul fork oil 20wt for a while (got some off homie at gympie) and found the weight to be great combined with bugger all preload on the shocks, ended up with similar silicon oil in them after last maintenance as the mineral oil weeper thru the seals. I am running the big bore shox though

#86 ·
Hey BB, I have read somewhere on the mcd forum that it's best to use up to 1000wt oil in the comp shocks like the ones you have. Like MM I also have the big bore shocks and i'm currently using 2000wt front and 1000wt rear, and as MM said above with bugger all preload. Don't forget that the older the oil is the thicker it gets due to the alloy deposits, i have found that after 3 months it starts to get too bouncy.

Might have to try that fork oil one day too, would be a hell of a lot cheaper that's for sure.

#87 ·
Before you change the oil, know what lap times your running then change it. Then check the lap times again and see if it made any difference. Only way to do it would be on the track.

Let me know when you come out and give me atleat a weeks notice, need to setup the other car for the next open day.

#89 ·
Well the curse of the black jelly bean has struck again.After running it today I have a major prob the rear is getting very little drive and the front is just wheel spinning.I pulled it apart and re thread locked all the grub scews thinking some might have been loose put it back together and no joy.I am thinking it might be the rear diff?Any opinions?

#91 ·
Billybob, So difficult to tell without looking. As per what Stephoon has said, if you lift the rear end off the ground and roll the car forward do the both rear wheels spin... and also if you lift the front end off the ground and roll it forward do the front wheels spin.

One other thing you could check, are any of the drive pins missing from the two centre drive shafts (dogbones).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.