Australian RC Forums banner

Carni's LCC

5K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  Carnivean 
#1 ·
Well this is paired to my AX-10, so we have a couple of cars when bush-walking, cruising the headlands etc.

I'll keep tabs here on this one as well. Now that the family has a little bit more spare time (damn summer and 2 kids playing cricket!!!) I should be moving more on this stuff!

Well after picking up the LCC last week, I need to get the bad boy running.
There are a number of issues with the car even from the factory so there is a tear-down I need to do before I can let rip with it. Almosty of of these issues have been corrected following the first batch of LCCs to hit the shelves. After looking around, I found I have an original first batch LCC, but everything below is probably a good check list to adhere to to make sure you dont wear anything out prematurely ;)

Check the front CVDs - DONE!
Yep checked the front drives and they have the problem. They are machined down further than normal. I dont know wether that was intentional and had a side effect or an actual fault. Either way there was a press release from Losi with a free pair. OMP, Australian distro, have sent a pair of v3 front CVDs!
Also check set screws in the drive line and CVDs. Loctite was not applied properly in some instances and may result in pins falling out.
Here is a picture of the CVDs with the Losi press release
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/axletag.jpg

Wrong number of shims
On the axle spools there is a discrepency with the number of shims. The diagram shows 1 each side where 2 were originally installed on early models. The extra shim has been blamed for the extra heat and some blown worm gears from extra friction. Best give it a check for the shims.
This will give you lower operating temps on the axle itself and on the motor.

The lower arms have a tendency to pop off their mounts

Disconnect the lower arms and place o-rings either side of the arm, this will prevent the arms flicking off the mount. The red o-rings in the pic below are a good example of the implementation:
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l169/mr_gt/RC Cars/Hulkstas Losi Crawler/100_6157.jpg

Worm gear issues
Once again with the early models, there were some that were not machined as well as they would have liked. Some people have reported some small shavings or burrs on the gears as well.
Strip it back and clean up all the old grease on them. You really want to use a very good marine grease with exceptional bonding/adherance qualities due to the nature of the worm gear setup. People have reported great success with Associated #1105 Green Slime, Rocksmith Engineering's Gear Jelly and BLC's Worm Food.

Break in your axles
Some people after cleaning/regreasing everything have been known to put their axles into a power drill and run on a medium speed for 15mins.

Most of this has been fixed with them now out of the box as mentioned above. It largely only affected the initial US release but as mine was one bought from OS, there was a chance it was affected. As it turned out it was affected by the CVD issue so I will be checking for the rest.
International shipments were reported to have the v2 or v3 CVDs out of the box, the shims fixed and the worm gears.

You have probably tied up a fair amount of cash in the car, so it doesn't hurt to be safe and double check even if they have been corrected.

I'll post some piccies as I go through those five steps I mentioned so you can see what it looks like wrong

See less See more
#27 ·
Well I was counting SPX as an LHS for us :)

They got told by the distro, SMP, that they are not basically supporting the LCC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.