Australian RC Forums banner

Carni's LCC

5K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  Carnivean 
#1 ·
Well this is paired to my AX-10, so we have a couple of cars when bush-walking, cruising the headlands etc.

I'll keep tabs here on this one as well. Now that the family has a little bit more spare time (damn summer and 2 kids playing cricket!!!) I should be moving more on this stuff!

Well after picking up the LCC last week, I need to get the bad boy running.
There are a number of issues with the car even from the factory so there is a tear-down I need to do before I can let rip with it. Almosty of of these issues have been corrected following the first batch of LCCs to hit the shelves. After looking around, I found I have an original first batch LCC, but everything below is probably a good check list to adhere to to make sure you dont wear anything out prematurely ;)

Check the front CVDs - DONE!
Yep checked the front drives and they have the problem. They are machined down further than normal. I dont know wether that was intentional and had a side effect or an actual fault. Either way there was a press release from Losi with a free pair. OMP, Australian distro, have sent a pair of v3 front CVDs!
Also check set screws in the drive line and CVDs. Loctite was not applied properly in some instances and may result in pins falling out.
Here is a picture of the CVDs with the Losi press release
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/axletag.jpg

Wrong number of shims
On the axle spools there is a discrepency with the number of shims. The diagram shows 1 each side where 2 were originally installed on early models. The extra shim has been blamed for the extra heat and some blown worm gears from extra friction. Best give it a check for the shims.
This will give you lower operating temps on the axle itself and on the motor.

The lower arms have a tendency to pop off their mounts

Disconnect the lower arms and place o-rings either side of the arm, this will prevent the arms flicking off the mount. The red o-rings in the pic below are a good example of the implementation:
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l169/mr_gt/RC Cars/Hulkstas Losi Crawler/100_6157.jpg

Worm gear issues
Once again with the early models, there were some that were not machined as well as they would have liked. Some people have reported some small shavings or burrs on the gears as well.
Strip it back and clean up all the old grease on them. You really want to use a very good marine grease with exceptional bonding/adherance qualities due to the nature of the worm gear setup. People have reported great success with Associated #1105 Green Slime, Rocksmith Engineering's Gear Jelly and BLC's Worm Food.

Break in your axles
Some people after cleaning/regreasing everything have been known to put their axles into a power drill and run on a medium speed for 15mins.

Most of this has been fixed with them now out of the box as mentioned above. It largely only affected the initial US release but as mine was one bought from OS, there was a chance it was affected. As it turned out it was affected by the CVD issue so I will be checking for the rest.
International shipments were reported to have the v2 or v3 CVDs out of the box, the shims fixed and the worm gears.

You have probably tied up a fair amount of cash in the car, so it doesn't hurt to be safe and double check even if they have been corrected.

I'll post some piccies as I go through those five steps I mentioned so you can see what it looks like wrong

See less See more
#2 ·
So for this build I am going to break it up into stages. First stage is obvously to get it running asap.

So this is what I need:
Steering servo - Spektrum 6030 a 20kg servo to steer with!
Dig servo - Losi MSX12 - about 4.3kg of torque

Technically that is all I need to get running but there is one other item that a lot of people recommend, the RCBros motor clamp.
So while I am there I will also get the low cg dig mount, servo mount and servo clamps to cut down on postage.

Will be ordering next week along with the remain E-Maxx gear :)

#3 ·
sounds good , looks like you've done your research on this one , i'm looking at the AX10 to go with the new SCX10 , I'm thinking use the AX10 as it is intended and the SCX10 as the recovery/tow vehicle. Look forward to seeing some pics of the Losi. :thumb:

#4 ·
OK this build is going to be done in stages.

Stage 1 is going to be be . . . get it running :)

So I have opted for the following which will be ordered this pay day:

Spektrum 6030 20kg servo
I am running a 12kg servo at the moment on the AX10, but wanted a bit more grunt. 20kg seems like a nice upgrade without getting into the $150+ servos!

Losi MSX12 dig servo
Read around a lot and people have had some issues with the 82MG and 225MG from HiTec. Now a lot of that may be because of adjustments, but the extra torque in the MSX12 and less reported failures. Plus it is tiny for 4.3kg

Gear Jelly
Read around, this stuff is great. I will likely be grabbing a couple of tubs as postage is about the same price as the jelly tub itself from the US.
If anyone wants in on this let me know and I can order a couple of extras
http://www.rocksmithengineering.com/Gearjelly.html

RCBros alloy gear
Will likely be getting the low CG dig mount, low CG steering mount, servo braces and motor brace from these guys.

Pinions 12T-15T
No brainer. Need to tune it, so haveing a few doesn't hurt at all!

Wont likely take the worms apart until the jelly and replacement from CVDs arrive, seems silly to take them apart multiple times so the photos may be a while coming!

#5 ·
Anyone interested in the gear jelly? Will be ordering a couple of pots myself this Thursday

#6 ·
I will Carn, im getting an scx10 kit soon so might as well build it with something good.
PM me with details!

Hows the LCC going btw?

#7 ·
Too easy, I'll wait til it all arrives.

LCC is good, I just feel it is a waste to tear the whole thing down and put it together . . . only to do it again when the bits and pieces arrive :)

#8 ·
any pics of the beast

#9 ·
I can take some that are just it as it is, nothing special though. Not painted, no electrics in it.
Ordered some bits and pieces, but i reckon struggling for next weekend :(

#11 ·
#12 ·
Well today I bought . . . pinions, dig servo, steering servo, ec3 connectors and a few other bits. Should be here tomorrow thanks to SPX ;)

#14 ·
On this one I have it has a front and rear dig in addition to the standard 4wd.

The servo slides something to lock the transmission output to the rear or front wheels when the car can lock front and rear.

On the after market ones for the ax10 you have 4wd, locked rear wheels and then 2wd with free rolling rear.

#15 ·
On this one I have it has a front and rear dig in addition to the standard 4wd.
all too complex for me :confused:, I get how it works but trying to control everything fluently would just be all too much and I'd get :bang:

#16 ·
Good thread Carnivian......you have covered everything specificaly.

Conroy....the dig setup is easy, once it is correct it's just a matter of pushing a switch. There is no complications it just slids the gear to lock up either front or rear. After using the dig a couple of times, you don't go back.It is a essential for when or if you comp it. You can by a after market dig for the Axial's.

Scott

#17 ·
Cheers Scott. Kinda handy in a way that I got a US model that is like number 1000 off the production line ;)

Conroy they all essential work the same way, wether they are part of the transmission or aftermarket.

You see where your rear drive shaft connects to the transmission?
Basically something sits in that spot and on the inside of it is a locking mechanism. All that is in there are usually a moving collar or plate with raised surfaces that connect to the drave shaft. Some have a third position that free-wheels on the rear.
Pretty much once they are on, they just work.

The toughest thing is setting the end-points on the micro servo corrently, otherwise you burn servos out

#18 ·
sounds similar to the reverse on the savage ??? i had that dialed straight away , may look into it when the ax10 arrives

#19 ·
Well my stuff arrived from SPX . . . should fit it this weekend

#20 ·
how did the fit out go ? when will you get to give it it's first test run ??? still keen for some pics .

#21 ·
Yeah will be putting some up in the next few days. Fitout I am going to do this week, was going to push and get it done on Saturday, but with the weather I thought I'd take my time.

#22 ·
Yeah will be putting some up in the next few days. Fitout I am going to do this week, was going to push and get it done on Saturday
hey mate how's the truck going ? My AX10 should arrive Friday :pray2:

when I get mine done will have go for a crawl

#23 ·
Cause I got one of the early ones I needed to get the front cvds replaced from the distros here. The sent me one which is no friggen good, have tried to email them a few times to get a second one without success.

Will probably just buy some but waiting n spx to get back to me on availability.

Could take it for a bash without a problem though or take the ax10 myself

#24 ·
sweet , can't wait to see it all done , I like to have things the way I want them before I use , so I also wait on the right parts before running anything. I'll pm you about a run some where soon ,

#25 ·
Well just got word that basically SMP don't really want to support the LCC so time to stop weighting for the lhs to get stuff in :(

#26 ·
my lhs is 1000kms away :), with shipping still blows all else out of the water , and no one ever has what i want in stock so it has to be shipped anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.