Australian RC Forums banner

Axial XR10

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Carnivean 
#1 ·
Well as posted in the main area it is announced, leaks were spot on difference is we have pics now:

Taken straight from Axial website which seems to be down at the moment:

XR10™ MOTOR-ON-AXLE COMPETITION ROCK CRAWLER
    • Complete “no-compromise” competition ready kit
    • All new front and rear specific strong durable composite plastic, lightweight axles.
      • Low profile axle housing design for maximum ground clearance.
      • Front steering axle with the ability to rotate (clock) the motor up/down.
      • Rear axle is 16mm narrower than the front axle to squeeze through tight gate layouts.
    • All New Behind the Axle (BTA) Steering
      • Enclosed steering slide with turnbuckles to adjust toe in and toe out.
      • 8° kingpin angle to decrease scrub radius and allows for tighter turns.
      • Durable composite plastic - strong double shear knuckle arms with replaceable aluminum drag link mount.
      • Splined adjustable c-hubs provide caster adjustments in 15° increments.
    • Oversized Universals
      • Oversized 12.5mm universals with 4mm and 2.5mm cross pins.
      • Made of hardened steel
      • No backlash like dogbone setups
      • 45° of steering out of the box
    • 37.9:1 gear ratio using the included 14T pinion. Gearbox allows for use of 12-19T pinions for gear ratios ranging from 44.2:1 through 27.9:1.
    • Dual motors allow you to easily adjust your front and rear gear ratios independently.
    • Compact and lightweight gearboxes keep the motor positioned closer to the axle housing and above the axle centerline for extra clearance.
    • Aluminum chassis plates with durable composite plastic skid plate.
    • Chassis provides multiple upper link adjustment holes for suspension tuning and adjusting anti-squat.
    • Adjustable upper shock mounts included for fine tuning ride height and can be catered to your own personal driving style.
    • Adjustable body mounts provide finite adjustments for different angles and heights.
    • Removable electronics tray for easy maintenance and installation
    • Enclosed receiver box with wire routing guides for cleaner electronic routing/configuration.
    • Multiple ESC mounting plates and configurations
    • Low profile battery mount places the weight of the battery at a lower position in the vehicle to help lower the center of gravity.
    • Oversized rod ends with large 7mm aluminum links and durable composite plastic sleeves (replaceable).
    • Light durable composite plastic upper links also aid in lowering the center of gravity.
    • Full ball bearings (oversized differential bearings)
    • Differentials: locked (spool)
    • Wheels: New Axial 2.2 Competition Beadlocks
      • Includes CNC orange anodized rings.
      • Compatible with Vanquish patented wheel weight systems (Licensed by Vanquish Products)
      • Minimal beadlock hardware for assembly ease
      • Narrow offset to increase steering response and strength
    • Suspension: 4-link, double triangulated
    • 72-103mm shocks: includes aluminum bodies and 10mm machined Delrin pistons.
    • Axial Hardline Body
      • Competition inspired body – design, layout, and size all catered for optimum performance.
      • Meets all U.S.R.C.C.A minimum requirements
      • Dove-tailed front and rear to minimize interference with tires.
      • Rounded roof line and cab forward design to improve roll-over recovery.
    XR10™ Measurements
    • Wheelbase: 317.5mm (12.5”) Max
    • Front Wheel to Wheel (outside) Width: 260mm (10.20”)
    • Rear Wheel to Wheel (outside) Width: 241mm (9.50”)
    • Height: 5.25”-6.75” (133mm-172mm)
    • Ground Clearance: 1.75”-3.40” (44.5mm-86.5mm)
    *Note: The height and ground clearance were measured with Pro-Line Chisels and memory foams with no weight added to the wheels.

Hardline Body Measurements
    • Length: 324mm (12.75”)
    • Width: 134mm (5.25”)
    • Height: 89mm (3.5”)
    Required
    • Radio: 2, 3, 4 Channel
    • Servos: 1 (Standard Size)
    • Speed Control: single or dual
    • Motors: Dual 540 sized motors
    • Battery : Compact LiPo, 2/3a, LiFe packs (Maximum size 30mmx25mmx90mm)
    • Tires: 2.2 tires and foams
    Option Parts: (available soon)
    • Full line of aluminum and carbon fiber hop-ups
    • Wheel Weights
    • Rear Cutting Brakes *Patent Pending

See less See more
#3 ·
Says 299, but to take advantage of everything you need a 4 channel tx. 2 motors if you go brushless could get expensive too.

#4 · (Edited)
OK so I have been reading and reading, think about the XR10.

It's likely going to be around $450 here, that seems to be the Axial price point locally. The wheels are a great addition, while they are likely plastic, the equivalent wheels from Vanquish in metal are about $50 US a pair. This will likely make the wheels with adjustable weights mass market plastic and pro for alloy. As a result the weights should come down in price.

As for the build price, I think by the time you get one of these running, you are looking at more than a grand :eek:
Realistically if you are going to buy something like this you want to do it properly.

Car - $280
1 Steering Servo - Hitec 7950TH $150 (30kg), 7955TG $120 (24kg)
1 ESC - Novak M2 $140
or
2 ESC - 2 Tekin FXR $180
2 motors - Brushed $100 (45T Pro Tekin)

I dare say there will be a servo needed for the cutting brakes on the rear, plus the 4 channel Tx
It's looking like $700 brushless or say $660 brushed before delivery from the states. It is not an introductory crawler, it's similar to the LCC in that it's an expensive setup.

LCC comes in around the $550-600 in the states, XR10 is looking $700+

#6 ·
Oh yeah for sure. Just the double motors and 1-2 ESCs means potentially doubling your running gear which gives it that little bump over something like the shaft driven Losi Comp Crawler.

If you convert the LCC to MOA I think it would be a fair pit more than the XR10. I guess that is what Axial were trying to capture. All the people who buy shaft crawlers who then bought 3rd party axles to convert to MOA now have a viable production chassis with manufacturer support for a lot less than what it would cost to DIY.

Reminds me of an E-Revo in this pic (personally I think the orange trim on the default body colours detrat from it, should have been without the orange):

#8 ·
Nah just that profile with the lights down . . . everything looks better in the dark :p

#10 ·
Oh I know that :)
Was just comment on the difference between when it is dark to when the lights go up and it has a horrible orange trim!

I dont mind orange on trim, but ffs those orange strips are woeful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.