Hello everyone, a true beginner here needing your advice.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello everyone, a true beginner here needing your advice.

Hello everyone. Glad to be here, though I am reaching out to you with a sort of weird question (perhaps)...
    I have just bought my first RC plane, but I think I may have stuffed up! LOL
    I bought a warbird electric scale model of a Farey barracuda, 370 engine with gearbox and Ni-mh battery 3 chanel.
    Did I make the wrong choice? can I still learn to fly it if so?
    Any tips from you experts and seasoned flyers for a beginner on how to learn to fly it and what I should do regarding controlling it and take offs and landings?
    I would really appreciate your help and time in perhaps helping me to learn.
    Bear in mind, I have never even picked up a radio control in my life, but always loved planes and will love to get to a level in RC flying so I can buy my first EDF jet (Fa- 14, my all time favourite aircraft)
    Look forward to your replies.
    Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Most people normally start off with a high wing trainer and is also good if you can get a hold of a simulator.

Not saying you can't learn on your one it would just be easier to learn on a high wing.
    Hope this helps

Have you got any photos to post up.....would love to see it.
    </IMG>
    A WISE GIRL KNOWS HER LIMITS. BUT A GREAT GIRL KNOWS SHE HAS NONE.

Thanks for tips Baja

Yeah, I know! LOL should have got one of those instead...but due to being perhaps a tad impulsive I am now awaiting delivery of this plane... and I have to say that I am quite excited and yet a tad terrified also. I would hate to smash into anyone's windows LOL
    As I hope to eventually move up to a EDF jet some day, I think this one may have to do for a while thus another plane purchase may no be on the cards soon.
    As for photos, I can surely do that when it arrives, mind you, it is really a very basic model and nothing like the real replica models but hey! gotta start somewhere and the price was great.
    I will post when plane arrives.
    Thanks for your advice
    Cheers

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

No problems mapsyd,
    Good luck with the flying and look forward to the photos...

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Widow View Post
    No problems mapsyd,
    Good luck with the flying and look forward to the photos...
    By the way Baja...can you tell me how much do you really have to move the sticks on the RC for planes to turn and climb....I have always thought that most planes are very "touchy" with these controls and respond very quickly, is this true? for example, when I take off, how much elevator should I apply without stalling???? and when turning, should I also apply elevator???
    I get confused...see? total newbie here...
    Cheers

OK so when you turn you need to apply a little up elevator as the wings will have less lift when the plane is banked.
    Stick movement depends on your EPA settings on your radio.
    Typically 5-10 mm of stick movement is enough to fly basic patterns but if you fly aerobatics you need more throw.

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Widow View Post
    OK so when you turn you need to apply a little up elevator as the wings will have less lift when the plane is banked.
    Stick movement depends on your EPA settings on your radio.
    Typically 5-10 mm of stick movement is enough to fly basic patterns but if you fly aerobatics you need more throw.
    That is what I thought, as it makes sense to elevate to compensate for lowering of airspeed... I will play with the plane on the ground first I think to work out how "touchy" the controls are...wish me luck on the first take off and first turn....hope all the trees and small fluffy animals on those trees are ready!!!!LOL

You will be fine.........But seriously if you can get a simulator to practice on first that is what I would recommend.

And yes I wish you luck.......Good Luck
    </IMG>

Good day mate and welcome aboard. I am also in your shoes at the moment. I want to learn to fly and had a lot of questions too. I joined a local flying club and lots of things were answered just by looking at what the guys there were doing. Also there is a lot of newbies like us there too and they get a lot of help and advice from the other members there.

I was going to buy a plane from one of our sponsors (Sid from ChargedRC.com.au) but in the end decided to go with another option recommended to me by the guys at the flying club. Here is my choice.

Its meant to be a good choice for a beginner according to all the guys at the club. I have just bought it and have an engine and the radio coming soon.
    The plane was only $110, the engine is about $150 and the radio will be about the $400 mark. I could have gone with a cheaper radio but I didn't want to limit my self in the future. I do want to progress to bigger and better planes down the track and might even have a go at helis if things go good. Also I might have a go at converting the boomerang to brushless in the near future but for now I will stay with a glow engine as that is what the guys at the club recommend and it is what most of them learned on. There was three new guys there flying the same kit too and they were doing well after just a couple of lessons. Hopefully I will do alright too.

The plane I was going to get was a foam cessna 182 EP trainer. The reason why the guys at the club turned me away from it was because it is very light and melbourne is a bloody windy place so I was told I'll be better off with something heavier and more stable. Flying time was also an issue and I can get more from a glow engine. Also the wing on the boomerang is held on with rubber bands (don't laugh. its a good thing) so its more forgiving in case of a stack and its easier to transport.
    Good luck mate and hope it all goes well for ya.
    BASH-BREAK-FIX-REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

the most important thing to do though is find a place much larger than you think you'll need to fly cause takeoff can be done in a short place but landing is a bit worse. also flying around you (you stand in the middle and the plane fly's around you) can help you with orientation and also fly high enough so that you are able to make a mistake and possibly regain control. another thing to do would be to go to your local flying field and use a buddy box system where a more experienced pilot has control but if he holds a lever or button the beginner has control and if they go out of control he releases the switch and he is back in control. if you need more info about buddy box just google it. hope this helps and happy flying
    My Youtube Channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R/C Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
    Good day mate and welcome aboard. I am also in your shoes at the moment. I want to learn to fly and had a lot of questions too. I joined a local flying club and lots of things were answered just by looking at what the guys there were doing. Also there is a lot of newbies like us there too and they get a lot of help and advice from the other members there.

I was going to buy a plane from one of our sponsors (Sid from ChargedRC.com.au) but in the end decided to go with another option recommended to me by the guys at the flying club. Here is my choice.

Its meant to be a good choice for a beginner according to all the guys at the club. I have just bought it and have an engine and the radio coming soon.
    The plane was only $110, the engine is about $150 and the radio will be about the $400 mark. I could have gone with a cheaper radio but I didn't want to limit my self in the future. I do want to progress to bigger and better planes down the track and might even have a go at helis if things go good. Also I might have a go at converting the boomerang to brushless in the near future but for now I will stay with a glow engine as that is what the guys at the club recommend and it is what most of them learned on. There was three new guys there flying the same kit too and they were doing well after just a couple of lessons. Hopefully I will do alright too.

The plane I was going to get was a foam cessna 182 EP trainer. The reason why the guys at the club turned me away from it was because it is very light and melbourne is a bloody windy place so I was told I'll be better off with something heavier and more stable. Flying time was also an issue and I can get more from a glow engine. Also the wing on the boomerang is held on with rubber bands (don't laugh. its a good thing) so its more forgiving in case of a stack and its easier to transport.
    Hey,

Ive got the exact same plane. I'm of the opinion that Nitro engines are old school and you can get similar performance with electric, without all the extra BS that comes from nitro. I've put a brushless system in my boomerang using parts of ebay. It is a hell of a lot better plane now. I plug it in and I know it's going to work, not screwing around with tuning, there's no oil to destroy all down one side. And it out performs the nitro engine too. If I were you, I wouldn't even bother with the nitro engine, it just adds something else to go wrong.

I feel the same way too mate but the old fellas at the club are adamant that starting with nitro is better. They say that sometimes you just want a learner to stay up in the air longer and batts wont allow too much run time.

I already have tons of lipos and a few car ESCs (will have to disable reverse or it might make things very interesting) and all I would have to get is asuitable out-runner. I might do this latter on or just get a better plane.

For now I will stick with the advice from the club members as they will be teaching me to fly. When I learn I will certainly be giving nitro the flick.

Great plane to start off with Big Block

Happy flying

Thank Baja Widow. Lets just hope it doesn't all end up in tears.

I'm sure if your at the club with experienced people they will help you out and you will have it down pact in no time.

Great advice and great plane there! well....my new plane is great and has been assembled and trimmed as well as I have learnt to.... now my question is this, how long do I charge the battery for??? it comes with no instructions and the supplier just told me to remove from wall charger when battery feels warm! it has been 3 hours + and it is still cool but charger is hot! the battery is a 650 mA and 9.6V...any ideas, anyone?
    Cheers and thank you all for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by lwsjss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post

Hey,

Ive got the exact same plane. I'm of the opinion that Nitro engines are old school and you can get similar performance with electric, without all the extra BS that comes from nitro. I've put a brushless system in my boomerang using parts of ebay. It is a hell of a lot better plane now. I plug it in and I know it's going to work, not screwing around with tuning, there's no oil to destroy all down one side. And it out performs the nitro engine too. If I were you, I wouldn't even bother with the nitro engine, it just adds something else to go wrong.

Depends on the output of your charger mate. Read the detail on the back of it and see what the output current is. If its something like 200mah then it will take a little over three hours to get it charged if your battery is 650mah. I recommend that you get a peak detection charger that will stop charging automatically once the batt is full. They are getting quite cheap these days.

Thanks big block

Thanks for that that advice, the charger says 250 mha, and I worked out last night that it took nearly 4 hours to charge!!! so how long you think I can fly the plane for 15? 20 minutes?....
    Today is the big day! the day that I get this one up in the air! he he he
    I will inform all on the massacre tonight.....LOL
    Here is a quick phone pic of the little guy....hope you like
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    you should take lots of pics...

for reference..

as to where everything goes..

so you know, after you crash it lol

Quote Originally Posted by mapsyd View Post
    Thanks for that that advice, the charger says 250 mha, and I worked out last night that it took nearly 4 hours to charge!!! so how long you think I can fly the plane for 15? 20 minutes?....
    Today is the big day! the day that I get this one up in the air! he he he
    I will inform all on the massacre tonight.....LOL
    Here is a quick phone pic of the little guy....hope you like
    I doubt you will get any more than 10 minutes mate. I might be wrong though.
    Nice faomy. Just make sure it isn't too windy out there as those things are feather light and wind will take it to the next suburb. If the worst happens and you do have a stack just get some foam safe CA glue from a hobby shop and glue it back together. I happens often with foam planes. Good luck with the first flight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast