Australian RC Forums banner

stevo1957's Trex 500 CF heli

8K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  stevo1957 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am still learning to fly my Trex 450 and am just at the hover stage.........so a long way to go.

However, in anticipation of getting proficient and moving to the "next level", I picked up a Trex 500 airframe, motor and speedy today off another heli flyer.

I've removed some fluro colours here and there and rewired a new set of battery leads to the ESC.

It looks fantastic.

It may take me a while to get airborne by the time I cover remaining electrics but at least I have one now.

Here's a few happy snaps.

Cheers,
Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
;);)

One is never enough!!

The 500 is a magic heli, flys superbly.....

#3 ·
Thanks Peter,

Hopefully I'll pick up the hang of flying soon.........I just don't feel comfortable on the sim so am concentrating on the 450. I have a bucket load of spares so I should be able to get back in the air quickly when (not if!) I crash again.

Cheers,

Steve

#5 ·
You suck Stevo.... Trex 500 is where I am looking too.

#7 ·
The motor is a Tonic-X Z15A 1620 KV being controlled by an Align RCE-BL60G ESC.

I have a pristine fibreglass canopy as pictured, plus another fibreglass genuine canopy which I need to repaint.

It has TOAL carbon blades and a set of fibreglass blades (both barely used)

K and B tail blades, metal tail box, carbon paddles and an RC Screwz kit has already been put through it.

I just couldn't resist for $300 and it was pickup so no additional postage.

Yep - pretty happy with my purchase.:thumb:

Cheers,

Steve

#8 ·
Looking good there stevo.I was given a esky hunter for christmas from my nephew(sister&brother inlaw)and I'm having a ball with it.I also a few years ago bought a venom night ranger so that has been reborn ready to go and as a christmas present for myself I gor a esky beltcv2 that is my goal I am aiming for the end of the year.So the baja and the redcat have been put away for a long sleep.

#9 ·
Congrats Steve, Looks sweet,

my last Heli attemp, comes with the music from Black Hawk Down:eek:

Dont let me test fly it for you:eek:

#10 ·
The 500 is an awesome heli. They fly so nice. Make sure you are confident flying the 450 before flying the 500 cause you will have a lot more fun with it if you do.

#11 ·
Towie - a generous offer to fly it for me mate, but I think I'll pass!:thumb:

Yeah Tim, everyone is saying if you can fly a 450, the transition to the 500 will be easy, it will be some months before I get the 500 airborne, given the deal with the Mionister of Finances was that I cover the extras as I go, rather than take from the account. Thats ok though, as I am only just learning to fly and will get heaps of time in on the 450 to get proficient.

Billybob - Yeah mate - helis are fun, but be prepared to crash them as part of the learning experience. I've got a bucketload of spares already in anticipation!

Cheers,

Steve

#13 ·
Have to agree with the above ; it's just that the inevitable crash will cost more !!!

Helis, as with cars, boats and planes , are lots easier to operate as they get larger ...

Most I know soon get rid of the 450 size as soon as they fly a 500 or bigger ....

;);)

#14 ·
I have a bit invested in the 450, with heli, good electrics, tote bag and spare parts.........and for the time being, it's a keeper.

I guess we'll see if that is still the case when I finally can fly and get the 500 in the air.

Cheers,

Steve

#17 ·
Hi Steve,

Your new 500 looks great mate. I love my 500 it’s the perfect sized heli.
I personally would leave the fluro items on it; once you progress to forward flight the fluro bits make it a heap easier to view the orientation of the heli.

Its would depending on how tame your 450 is; but some heli flyers use their 450 to practise 3D moves as its less nerve-racking to learn on due to it being a smaller, cheaper heli.

Good luck with the transition from hover to forward flight.
Steve

#19 ·
Thanks Pete - If it goes as well as it looks, it will be great.

Yeah......looks nice now, but the guy I bought it off had this fluro theme going on........brights skids and tail fin.........said something about the vibrant colours are best for visibility.

.........but you must admit, I've cleaned it up real well to a look that is more befitting for a gentleman of my age!:D ;)

Yes guys - Pete05 was the previous owner........so I know the background to this bird and am very happy that I acquired it.

Cheers,

Steve

#22 ·
Hi guys,

It had to happen!

I met up with a guy I met through the helis this morning and hovered a pack or two with my Trex 500.

I dialled in a bit of expo for the second pack (without it, it was quite twitchy) and was doing quite nice with a low hover (that's all I can do ATM) and it got away from me a bit.

Don't know how it happened and why my home made training gear didn't save me, but I went head first into the dirt. I was only up a meter or so.

I haven't had a chance to pull it down yet, but I know of:

Fibreglass main blades
Main gear
2 Align 510 cyclics (hopefully only gearsets!)
Sheared the screw for the head button, but luckily could get the broken bit out.

I've done heaps of hovers with the 450 and the first pack on the 500 felt good. It was stable and no vibrations, except from the training gear now and then when it bogged in the grass.

I'll pull it down in the next day or so and see how the mainsaft, feathering shaft and flybar look.

C'est la vie...........Hopefully I've had my bad luck for a while.

Cheers,

Steve

#24 ·
STEVE!!! I guess with the hobby comes the stacks!

Too bad you had to bury the 500 in the dirt so soon. You seem to be having a good run these days so next time you go out how about giving me a heads up so I can make it out with my video camera!

Too bad mate, but I'm sure you'll get it back in the air quickly (does the missus know about the crash?)

#25 ·
Stevo - part and parcel mate. The only thing that is really dissapointing is the fact there are no pics yet!!

I cannot say any more than that, as you have personally been witness to all of my decent stacks with the e325 & the Rappy - actually, i think you were filming the rappy stack!!

There is a saying 'if it aint broken, don't fix it...' however, in this instance i believe it is more 'if it aint broken, you aren't progessing'!!

Let's see some shots of the carnage!

Your friend in heli carnage,

Mick!

#26 ·
Stevo, we need pic's big fella.....or :ban:

The laws of physics suggest what goes up must come down and I think your 500 is proof of that.

That's a bummer but hey, at least you get to buy some more goodies:D
</IMG>

#27 ·
Thanks guys - but I forgot about the pics and already have it pulled down.

Main shaft and feathering shaft look surprisingly straight........but I just have to work out how to remove the screw from one end of the feathering shaft, as with the loctite, the shaft spins when I try and undo it.
I think I'll replace them anyway.

2 cyclic servos need new gear sets - apart from that, they sound ok.

New blades and them I'm done.

Could have been a lot worse!

Cheers guys,

Steve

#28 ·
So how come I can't crash as cheaply as you can , Steve ?????

Seems hardly fair .... ;) ....

:bang::bang:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.