Australian RC Forums banner

servo and servo saver?

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  bandit64 
#1 ·
i have a slash.
i want a new servo as my stock stripped.
i want something with possibly metal gears so its tough. i have about $50 to spend. i want something atleast as strong (power wise) as stock and thatlll fit in the waterproof case.
also my servo saver has broke. wats a better one to get? or will one come with a new servo?
i eventually want to use this in the slash 4x4.

#2 ·
If you want to keep it waterproof you will have to get a set of replacment gears from Traxxas. I don't know of any manufacturer that makes waterproof servos.
Your budget is a bit on a low side as far as good metal geared servos go. The only thing I can think of would be the MG 995. They have metal gears and are high torque. They aren't very fast but in that price rang there isn't much else. Also they have a Futaba type spline which is same as traxxas one. The traxxas servo horn will drop straight on. Have a look on Ebay for the servo.
Not too sure about the servo saver. One doesn't come with a servo. Have a look in the "blowup" diagram for part numbers and see if there are options.

#3 · (Edited)
i have a few MG 995 from another project involving a robotic arm.
last time i put one in and got very glitchy after a while.
i put one in earlier though and its going fine.
is it normal for them to go glitchy or was it a bad one.
u mean the tower pro mg 995 right?

#4 ·
Yep thats the one I meant. There are all sorts of knock offs of it going around. Yes I also had one that would glitch like crazy but all of my others seem fine. I also had $120 servos act up on me so it can happen to a cheaper one more offten.
I only use these cheap servos on my bashers and only for steering. Never for throttle duties (doesn't apply to your Slash). I am worried if they jam up at full throttle i might loose my car. Although to be honest I haven't had a MG 995 servo strip a set of gears on me yet. They get a little slopy and noisy so I would just bin them and whack a new one in. For $25 who cares.

#6 ·
If you are looking at waterproof to fit your traxxas car, try getting a new gear set and rebuilding, and look at the Kimborough servo saver, they are very good, with the budget you have set this would be close to your only option, MG995 is not water proof, fytabe s3305 is metal geared and 8.9 kg of torque also not water proof and will cost $70 -$100

#7 ·
I have/had a couple of the MG995 servos (13kg and 11kg versions) that jaycar has ($40 each), never had a problem with them, although one is a bit noisy but both operated pretty much the same, if anything I think the 11kg one was a bit nicer, I thought so anyway.

I just sold them today though, gotta post them on Monday and wait for my new servo to arrive, a Hyperion DS20FMD ($63).
Metal Gear set, Dynamic Torque Kg/Cm
4.8V / 6.0V
7.0KG / 8.2KG (13kg holding torque)
Speed Sec/60 deg
0.17 / 0.13
Futaba spline (as much as I know anyway).
I will try and get around to doing a little review of it and take a video of how it performs in my Desert Truck.

Not water proof, but I suppose it could be made water-resistant.

Another idea might be to re-use the Traxxas servo case and put the guts of another servo in it, of all the servo's I have had, I haven't noticed that much difference between the cases.

I second what BB said about not much else being in that price range.

#8 ·
Another idea might be to re-use the Traxxas servo case and put the guts of another servo in it, of all the servo's I have had, I haven't noticed that much difference between the cases.
You'd only be able to use the insides of another/the same traxxas servo. You will find that all different servos run all sorts of different gear ratios and stuff so you cant just transplant one set of gears from one servo into another.

#10 ·
I have looked at doing that Sh1mmy. Very hard. actually more than likely impossible. I have tried just about everything. Some of the Futabas (can't remember which, it was a while ago) were close but not close enough. The gears just wouldn't mesh properly. Like Stoogey said nearly all servos have different size gears and they are mounted differently although if someone out there succeeds in doing it please share.

#13 ·
Ah, fair enough... my bad.
Didn't think there was that much difference between them.

So I guess the other easy options would be to use plasti-dip (think that is it) or silicone up the case and hope nothing gets through the output shaft area.

#12 ·
With Servo's, you really do get what you pay for, the cheap ones are generally nasty, and dont seem to last, it is false economy to buy a few cheap servos when a descent one will do the job for a longer period and in general can be swapped out to a different model if you decide to change classes, the cheapies last a short period and die, it only takes a few and you have spent the same on them as you would on one good servo.

I had a bad run with the MG995's and blew out 3 of them back when they were around $35-$40 each, after blowing 3, I got the Sh!ts with them and dropped an Ace 1015 in, I have not looked back since, and still getting great response from the Ace.

#15 ·
are there any other options for servos in the $50 range?
Something that is metal geared and have similar torque and speed, not that I know of.

http://www.hyperion-world.com/products/product/HP-DS16-FCD
Hyperion Australia has these for $53.10 (the carbon poly gear version) and $10 shipping.

Only other thing I can think of is bluebird servos.
This one on hobbycity I just saw... BMS-616DMG+HS
Torque At 6.0V: 10.2kg/cm , 136 oz/in
Speed At 6.0V: 0.12 sec / 60° at no load
Operating voltage: 4.8 - 6.0V
US$21.14

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.