Tamiya Nitrage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tamiya Nitrage

Tamiya Nitrage

Just bought a second hand Tamiya Nitrage 1/8 Truck for $270.

Ready-to-run with 5.2cc motor and tyres in pretty good nick
    7.2V powered roto-starter with battery
    C-cell powered glow plug warmer
    All radio gear (receiver, transmitter, servos etc with built in fail safe)
    Close to full 4-litre container of AT Racing 20% fuel
    Only one litre of fuel through it

Anyone have one that can share some advice on setup etc?

Cheers, Brett.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come to Lake Centenary in Temora to run your RC boat. Free BBQ's, power points, great amenities with hot showers, a childs sandpit/play area and lots of shade sails around the lake edge. It's 2km out of town, fresh water and gas boats are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Good score mate. Is it a truggy ar a monster truck, either way you did well to get all that for $280. Have you run it yet?
    My advice is get it running and have a ball
    5.2cc that should get it moving along pretty nicely

The Nitrage is classified as a truggy, although it is not on par with other racing truggies out there (RC8T, MBX6T, XT8 etc) its still a decent truggy nonetheless due to tamiya's top notch quality.

The drivetrain is my biggest gripe though, the clutchbell to dogbone design is absolutely horrible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

It's called a Truck on the manual!

I should say that i have'nt payed for it yet! Richard (rcroadtrain) bought it for me! BLESS HIM!!!!

I just have to pay him for it over time and he has allowed me to keep it at my place until i do.

Richard and i race around a paddock behind my house once a fortnight, he brings his TMax, EMax and another 1/8 beetle and lets me drive one of them with him.

After he picked up the Nitrage from Tempe he brought it over and we had a run. AWESOME FAST!!!! and it's in really good nic too.

I was going to run it today but the rain and hail stopped that.

I have read that the spur gear is very weak on some early models but that does'nt seem to be a problem with this one, only time will tell.

The shocks felt a little soft and it sat really low to the ground so i moved the shocks in toward the diff more to lift it up a bit and screwed the spring tensioners down to make the shocks a little harder. Now it sits about 5cm of the ground instead of 2cm. I'm guessing that's why it has so many scratches on the chassis plate.

Here is another pic with the top off before i lifted it up more.

Cheers for the replies, Brett.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PC WIZ; 07-09-2009 at 10:57 PM.
    Come to Lake Centenary in Temora to run your RC boat. Free BBQ's, power points, great amenities with hot showers, a childs sandpit/play area and lots of shade sails around the lake edge. It's 2km out of town, fresh water and gas boats are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by PC WIZ View Post
    Here is another pic with the top off before i lifted it up more.

Cheers for the replies, Brett.
    O ye!!!!! I love it when they get there top off.

Quote Originally Posted by PC WIZ View Post
    and screwed the spring tensioners down to make the shocks a little harder. Now it sits about 5cm of the ground instead of 2cm.
    Adding preload spacers or tightening the shock collars DOES NOT make shocks stiffer/harder, it is only used to adjust your rideheight. To adjust shock stiffness, use different spring, oil and piston combos.

Thanks Stoogey! I will try a thicker shock oil after i have a look and see if there is any in there to start with, they could be empty!

Cheers, Brett.

R/C Novice
    Another problem with the Nitrage is the two shoe clutch set-up...woeful!!!

When you get a chance replace the flywheel, clutch shoes/springs and clutch nut with a conventional 3 shoe set-up.....MUCH more reliable!! Savage clutch parts are a direct fit

Overall though they are a great truck!!

Thanks Luke22, I'll look into that when the old clutch fails, no point changing what's not broken.

I had a run yesterday and it goes like the clappers! The grass in the paddock was about 10cm high and really thick but it still went real hard.

Can't wait to run it on dirt!

Now i just have to find a large scale track somewhere, it doesn't have a very tight turning circle, Iv'e been using the brakes (rear only) to throw the back end out around sharp turns.

One thing i have noticed is that the steering servo has more throw in one direction and sometimes the throttle servo won't respond till i pick the car up and drop it back on the ground. I think i will put my 2.4 radio setup in it soon as there is no adjustment for the steering servo travel either.

Cheers, Brett.

R/C Novice
    No problem dude. Also, be careful about the glow plug you use. An O.S. style wont be suitable as they are too short (the engine needs a plug with a longer thread).

I have found the GS plug (#5) to be great!! They are available from Hobbyco in the city and have been perfect in my .32 engine.

It has an N4 in it at the moment and a spare O.S. A3.

I will get a G.S. #5 next time i go into town, which will be next time hell freezes over if the past is any indication.

I hav'nt been to town for 10 years, i don't like going in to the city there is to much sh** there. Oh and it's dirty too!

Cheers for the tip!

Run any long shaft rossi style plug from brands such as Novarossi, Sirio or RB as the european plugs tend to run the longer shafts.

R/C Novice
    PC WIZ- Havent been to the city for a while huh??.....insular peninsula??
    I have a stack of GS plugs so if you ever need any give me a shout and i'll post them...save you from crossing the spit

I agree with what Stoogey said- Any of those plugs mentioned will also fit

I don't need to go anywhere else, i can get ripped of by the hobby shops over here!

I would think N.B.H.C or Hobby Heros would have them. After paying bus fares i would probably pay more for things over there, i can ride my pushie to my local, though sooner or later i will break something and my local does'nt support Tamiya very well so i had better take it easy on the Nitrage. NOT!

Thanks for the tips about the longer plugs! I'll get one and try it.

Cheers, Brett.

NBHC will look after you mate, great shop and they wont stuff you over like many other stores will.

Yeah dude NBHC is run by some of the best and most experienced people in the hobby
    - RETIRED -

I hear you! N.B.H.C. is run by car racers, i know. I have spent a few days at the St Ives off-road track where they run their cars.
    They can be a bit pricey but they are close and know what they are talking about!

Cheers, Brett.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoogey View Post
    The drivetrain is my biggest gripe though, the clutchbell to dogbone design is absolutely horrible.
    I don't see a problem with the use of a dogbone between the clutchbell and gearbox, infact i think it's an inovation.
    No more spur to pinion mesh problems with this design.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Brett.

Mate you know it's a bad idea when nobody has followed it It's Tamiya's way to make sure you can only buy the part from them. Look at their new competition Truggy, they run a normal clutchbell

Cheers
    - RETIRED -

Hmmm.

Ok, so no one else is using it. I don't hear any down side apart from the fact that i will have to buy one from Tamiya if it breaks. Most cars are like that, if you break a part you have to buy the part that fits the car you have. Not all "A" arms are interchangeable or clutchbells etc, the list goes on.

I need more feedback.

Cheers, Brett.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast