Australian RC Forums banner

which one savage nitro of the savage flux brushless

savage nitro or the brushless savage flux ?

14K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  hotmetal1000 
#1 ·
hi not sure which way to go the savage nitro or the brushless savage flux which i here good things about

any ideas ?

#3 ·
Well, from what I have read and by watching a few videos, only one question I can think of that could possibly go a long way in helping you decide...

How do you feel about wheelies?

Sure they are great fun at first, but I found I started getting bored of them and was trying to stop them after the first "oh sh!t" moment when driving towards yourself accelerating to 88mph on the rear wheels trying to show off to a young kid standing beside you video taping the whole thing and all you see is all that nice and shiny gear coming towards yourself and thinking "oh sh!t", trying to swerve it away from yourself only to remember the front wheels are high and dry.... ouch.
Let me tell ya... I sure wish I had a flux capacitor.
It's a pity they are so damn expensive.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=28
I wonder if they have one to fit 1/10 scale, would have made my remake go much much smoother.
Good thing Einie wasn't in it too, I would imagine he would be a bit grumpy.

(It's a pity they don't have the right image).

On a more serious note, I am sure both would be awesome but the Flux I have seen people trying to sell because the wheelies and backflips get to be annoying.
I know it's all in the trigger finger but still...

#7 ·
Like snap off said you might want to look at the E-Revo BE. The drive train has prooved it self to be much tougher than the Flux.

Some people say that the plastis chassis of the E-Revo is weak. Complete BS. First of all it is made from a composite material which is way tougher than plastic. Secondly it does have some flex in it to avoid bending it like the TVP chassis does. Only a week after hanging crap on the revos plastic chassis a certian person posted photos of his bent TVP chassis in his Flux. HMMMMM?????

Also when you compare the two and you have a good look at the way things sit within you will see that the E-Revo has much better centre of gravity. Even the batteries are laid flat and to the sides unlike on the Flux where they are up high and upright.

Other thing is if you do have a large side on stack (like clip a post with your wheel at speed) you wont damage your shocks as they are on the venicle and not directly on the suspension arm.

E-Revo also comes with a 2.4 gig radio system. Not the best system out there but it does its job and you dont have to worry about frequecies.

If you are worried about the brushless system having too much power for ya just get the Castle Link and reprogram your MMM ESC (same goes for the BLUR system in the flux which is pretty much identical to the MMM on the revo) using your computer. You can set the throttle curve and braking force + other stuff to suit your driving style.

Anyway best of luck making a choice. Don't stress over it too much and just get one and start having fun.:thumb:

#8 ·
i will recommend the e revo brushless also. i have had mine for a while now and have had alot of crashes but it just keeps comming back for more, ive never had any problems at all with the drive train and i do standing flips all the time

#9 ·
So much rubbish being peddled here.

I run a Savage Flux on 2 * 2s2p 4600mah A123 packs (6.6v each 30/60C rated)

I have done over 200 runs.

I have NEVER had a drivetrain problem besides the top gear which wears out every 50 or so runs. I've never had a diff let go, a dogbone bend, a diff pinion shred, a spur gear die, or any of that.

My set up has a top speed around the 45-50kph mark and is slightly lower than 2*2s Lipo without the problems of puffing, lipo cut offs etc, it wheelies on pavement but rarely on gravel and has survived repeated beatings.

I'd go the Flux again in a second.

#10 · (Edited)
So much rubbish being peddled here.

I run a Savage Flux on 2 * 2s2p 4600mah A123 packs (6.6v each 30/60C rated)

I have done over 200 runs.

I have NEVER had a drivetrain problem besides the top gear which wears out every 50 or so runs. I've never had a diff let go, a dogbone bend, a diff pinion shred, a spur gear die, or any of that.

My set up has a top speed around the 45-50kph mark and is slightly lower than 2*2s Lipo without the problems of puffing, lipo cut offs etc, it wheelies on pavement but rarely on gravel and has survived repeated beatings.

I'd go the Flux again in a second.
WOW. You must have a special FLUX then. I constantly see the Flux with stropped gears and chewed diffs after only a few runs on 6S. Have a look at how many people on here got rid of theirs because of it.
Also you say you run yours on 2S2p A123 packs. For most thats not enough. Yeah for you it might be but belive it or not some want more as you can get used to that very quickly.
I have friends with brushless revo's that continuously run them on 6s lipos with no real drive train issues (other than a drive shaft every now and then). Also the shops revo only runs on 6s and does hundreds of backflips and speed runs for potential customers. They owner wouldn't dare bring out a Flux on 6S. It might live a while but it almost always ends up on the repair table.
You say that you run on 13.2 volts and it runs fine and its very tough. You are not testing it instead you are doing nothing more than gently putting along with it. You are using just a little bit over half the voltage that it is suppose to handle and you say its got a tough drive train. Now there is a load of rubbish.
Now I am not saying that the brushless Revo isn't with out its own problems. Trust me they are there and if you read the traxxas forum you will hear about them. Which is a good thing as the designers do read these forums. When they hear the load of rubbish that you come out with they will give them selfs a pat on a back instead of going back to the drawing board and improve faults with their creations. If they improved the drivetrain it would be a super tough truck.
It can handle the bashing. Thats not a problem with any of the Savages but the drivetrains could use a steroid injection for sure.
I am sorry if it sounds like I am getting personal about this but I hate to see people receiving incorrect advice. I also received some wrong advice when I got into the hobby and payed dearly for it. I almost gave up on it altogether. For me its not about the HPI vs TRAXXAS or REVO vs SAVAGE. Not at all. Instead its about the facts.

#16 ·
I do have a nitro revo with a big block LRP in it hotmetal. I do like it but its in no way bullet proof and I'll be the first to admit that. The chassis area around the engine is not strong enough and is prone to bending. I am working on a fix at the moment (custom chassis brace) but other than that its quite good.
However I am looking at the LST2 and the XXL from Losi at the moment. I work part time at a hobby shop fixing customer cars and these are by far the least of we get to repair. To me it says something so I think it will be one of those next. We mainly see Revos and Savages come in for repairs. With Revos it is almost always suspension arms and carriers (RPM arms and RD Logics carriers:thumb:). With Savages its almost always diffs,OWB and in case of the Flux the tranny might strip the top gear. Yes I know its meant to be a sacrificial gear but it seems to strip way too often. Well thats at least according to our customers.
I do find it a lot easier to work on the Revos because everything is either on top or the bottom of the chassis so its pretty easy to get to. With the Savages everything is pretty much boxed up within the TVP chassis. As far as the LST and the XXL goes.......well I don't get to see many come back. Last one that came back, XXL, had a blown pug. lol....
Anyway I try to honest as I can and have no real loyalty to any brand. I am not even Holden or Ford man. I drive a Toyota Yaris for christs sake. lol:D Thats how much I care about brands.
</IMG></IMG>

#12 ·
run your flux properly and you will be highly dissapointed.
anyone can drive their car at 50kph and be happy with the drivetrain, even an ebay car can do that. when you start bashing properly and start using the brushless power to its potential then im sure you will be dissapointed with the drivetrain of the flux.

i have seen so many flux's for sale on this forum, but almost no e revo's. i think the flux was rushed into production way too quickly as a way to counter the e revo, whereas traxxas kept pushing back their release date so that they werent shipping out trucks that were crap

#13 ·
If your going to bash and do big jumps then it's Savage Flux Hands down...nothing else even comes CLOSE.

as pointed out the TVPs can bend ( it took me an 80 KPH mid air crash with a tree to bend mine) but there are a few really awesome upgrade TVPs around for little cost.
here is a samlpe of some of the punishment I gave mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btIuZx7faWQ

#24 ·
If your going to bash and do big jumps then it's Savage Flux Hands down...nothing else even comes CLOSE.

as pointed out the TVPs can bend ( it took me an 80 KPH mid air crash with a tree to bend mine) but there are a few really awesome upgrade TVPs around for little cost.
here is a samlpe of some of the punishment I gave mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btIuZx7faWQ
What's the name of that song and who sings it.... My new ring tone:D

#14 ·
Might I just add, for all those people talking trash about the drivetrain on the flux.

the only time people have had problems with it is when they insist on doing non stop standing flips and not backing off the throttle before the wheels come back around and make contact with the ground and also landing jumps with the throttle wide open.
oh and HPI have solved this problem by making the "Bulletproof" range of gears and diff pinions just for these kind of people.

#18 ·
Might I just add, for all those people talking trash about the drivetrain on the flux.

the only time people have had problems with it is when they insist on doing non stop standing flips and not backing off the throttle before the wheels come back around and make contact with the ground and also landing jumps with the throttle wide open.
oh and HPI have solved this problem by making the "Bulletproof" range of gears and diff pinions just for these kind of people.
Three Words, "Are You Serious" , the 18/23t drive gear P/N #86097, has been unchanged from the very first Savage, it is a cast aluminium gear and strips like a $2 hooker:bang:

#19 ·
It seems like you want a MT, but have you thought about a stadium truck as well? They are pretty tuff and just as fast (or faster).
I have a Traxxas Rustler VXL and sure I've broken a couple of bits lately but I'd say once I've got all these RPM and upgrade parts, it won't break much anymore ;)

Anyway, good luck and please don't bash me for this guys. I'm only a newbie to all this :eek:

#21 ·
drop a 3s lipo in the rusty and "hang on tight" I was running a 3cell in my Stampede yesterday just for giggles, it is so funny to watch this little 2wd truck scream up the street and then punch it from around half throttle to full throttle, and see it just stand up on the wheelie bar and start breaking traction all over the place, "mental note"..."leave heaps of room for stopping, rolling, flipping, bouncing" I dont know who laughed more, me driving it or snap off trying to avoid getting hit by it:eek:

#22 ·
I can't vouch for the nitro Savage but I did own a Flux and would never again. :mad:

The flux is a tough truck but piss poor drive train.

#26 ·
Yep like I said a very tough truck but make sure you have a spare gearbox gear ( the gear that runs on the clutch shaft) and a diff handy. Also best to have a spare pinion and clutch shaft handy too. I found if you use the motor less to brake then the centre gear lasts a lot longer.

#30 ·
did you read this thread? i've said twice now all these parts now have upgrades available from HPI, not that they need to be upgraded.
but if your gonna beat the snot outta your truck then get the upgrades before you even drive it.

#36 ·
In my experience, most of the people who use these forums, are here to share their knowlege and experiences, be they good or bad, if you read a few of my posts you will probably see that I am Pro-Savage not against them, posting negative comments as well as positive comments allows others to see first hand, where different models have failures and where they excel,

#38 ·
Considering the street price of an EBRE locally, I found it a bit of an insult to be greated with a Plastic Chassis, I expect that kinda rubbish from a TT-01.

Whether or not it's less durable, it's that initial impression I got of a cheap plastic tub that turned me off it.

My Savage Flux has been to hell and back, I'm on my 3rd top transmission gear, but am running 5S A123 packs now and I'm happy with my purchase after 300-400 runs. I have however had to "hammer" these chassis' back into shape a few times. Jumping cars does that.

#39 ·
Considering the street price of an EBRE locally, I found it a bit of an insult to be greated with a Plastic Chassis, I expect that kinda rubbish from a TT-01.

Whether or not it's less durable, it's that initial impression I got of a cheap plastic tub that turned me off it.

My Savage Flux has been to hell and back, I'm on my 3rd top transmission gear, but am running 5S A123 packs now and I'm happy with my purchase after 300-400 runs. I have however had to "hammer" these chassis' back into shape a few times. Jumping cars does that.
2 weeks ago you had done 200 runs, now you have done 300 -400. So your saying youve done more than 10 runs a day for the last 2 weeks. Mate I think your full of crap.

I think its funny when people bag the plastic erevo chassis and call it rubbish, then say they have had to straighten there flux chassis in the same post.

#41 ·
after driving Snap Off's E Revo the other day, I have discovered a new respect for it, god they take a hammering, and suck it up well, OMG dont tell anyone I like a Traxxas Car, I will never hear the end of it from BB and Snap off:cool:

#42 · (Edited)
Did I read that right or are my eyes playing tricks on me. Wasn't anywhere near as fun or impressive as your flux on 6S man that was insane.Ive never experienced power like that before, running the flux at a speed as high as my erevo top speed on 4S, and punch the throttle trigger and the thing stood up on its wheely bar and flipped on its lid. It wasn't the stampede I had to dodge mate it was the flux, cartwheeling at me at 60+k/hr, just clipped my knee too.

#44 ·
Sorry Snappy, I thought you heard me say " Duck, Run , Take Cover, Unbelievably Fast Flying Object heading Straight for ya!":p

#47 ·
This thread is getting way off topic, Go the Savage Flux over the Nitro Savage

#49 ·
Hey! I own a Traxxas and a Holden! If I had the choice, I would've got the E-Firestorm instead of my Rustler VXL but I wanted a new RC car ASAP so I got what was there. I still love the Rustler (so fast and so much fun) but I've just found a local RC club and I hear the Firestorm is better setup for that type of thing.

Still both brands are good. And electric or nitro, I'm sure old mate will be happy either way.
Good luck mate :thumb:

#51 ·
Im sorry ladies, I will never mention revo or erevo in this thread again, I wouldnt want to hurt your feelings. I was just answering the question in post number 4.

Reguardless of what truck you have got, we need to keep the monster truck spirit alive. Its been a bit quiet in the monster truck forums lately.
Ive been tring to ressurect monster truck racing at BDR lately. Wa had a class of 7 on the weekend whick consisted of 2 savage fluxes, a savage x, 2 nitro revos and 2 erevos.
Every body had a ball and the results were GumbyJ revo 1st, Mr Flibble Flux 2nd, Scruffy Erevo 3rd and my pig big block revo 4th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.