Australian RC Forums banner

Global_Warmer's 5B SS.

46K views 248 replies 35 participants last post by  miyage007 
#1 · (Edited)
The Story So Far...

I bought the SS kit back in November last year. After spending alot of time on AUSRC.COM as a spectator reading about all of your builds and the journeys of you adding all your upgrades, the Stockton trip and lookin at vids on youtube, I decided I MUST buy me a HPI Baja 5B SS!

I aint one to brag about my car too much and this is why I do not have a build up thread of my own. So here we go! Its about bloody time...

I built the car over 3days on the kitchen table as this seems to be the place that everyone else used in their build ups. The build up was a little daunting as I have never ever built anything this size and had next to no RC experience prior to the Baja!

There aint too much that is stock standard on it anymore. Here is a bit of a list of the goodies she runs:

29cc engine.
Lightened flywheel.
V2rear dominator.
Turtle Racing clutch system.
Robinson racing spur gear.
6000rpm clutch.
Triple carbon fibre brake pads.
Iridium Spark plug.
Walbro 813HP carby.
Protecta Alloy skid plate (not in pics).
Outerwears for the Shocks (not in pics).
Outerwears for pullstart.
Outerwears for airfilter.
Phatdad engine brace.
TGN Billet Spark Plug Cover.
DPS Wheel Extenders.
DarkSoul plastic Roof Scoop.
Turtle racing billet rear plate.
Turtle racing billet front plate.
Turtle racing shock towers front and back.
Integy bead lock all round.
RPM suspension arms all round.
Prewired Monster pico switch.
Hostile mini MX's on the rear.
Etc Etc as ya can see from the photos...!
And there is still more stuff to come!

She owes me a hell of alot of CA$H, but I dont care!!! I love this car so much and get so much enjoyment out of it. Even if its broken and I am in the garage fixing it. I want to personally thank AUSRC.COM and all its large scale members for gettin me interested, for all the top blokes that I have met, and takin me on the journey that is modifiying an SS 5B!

What an awesome thread to celebrate 300posts! WOO HOO!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Great work GW glad you finally started your own thread.

BTW: hows the 2 stroke oil going in the rear shocks:D

Awesome pics... here are some more.

#12 ·
Well my motor decided to self destruct the other day. The circlip that hold the gudgien pin in can adrift and rooted the bore and piston!:eek:.

So time for a total rebuild. Goin for a top secret motor :spy: especially for "the State of origin". Also bought a pipe that I dont know of anyone else that runs it on their Bajas in Aus yet!

Its also about to go on a diet of Carbon Fibre as it scared me after weighin it the other day and it came in at 15kgs with fuel! :scared:.
Got a heap of other goodies comin my way this week which i will post up some photos of when they arrive. And bought me some new tools to work on the big girl. Cause I have put up with my $5 Chinese ones from ebey for too long.

Homer... When ya find some medication for this addiction, let me know eh?

#14 ·
OK. So I been shoppin. Here is a list and some pics of all the goodies that my sponsor Westpac paid for and sentme...

This is for Homer so he does not feel alone with tryin to worry about his addiction...:D

CPI Tuned pipe
Gun Metal Grey Super Star wheels
Hostile - Front Foam Insert Medium - Firm Sidewall
Mini MX Front Tires Soft
PhatDad-RC HPI Baja HD Dog Bones
Skunkworks Heavy Duty Beadlock Rings
Outerwears 1/5 Scale Crankcase & Flywheel Cover
A heap of TGN Carbon fibre
A table & chair (been standin infront of an old chest of drawers since buyin the 5B)
A Tool box

Pics to follow later on today. Gotta go.

#18 ·
I have seen this pipe before and am curious to see how it runs mate.

That's the standard pipe too, they also make a big bore pipe for modified motors
I am busting to see and hear it run too! My motor is rooted at the moment. You say its the standard pipe eh? Never saw a "big bore pipe" whilst I was shoppin on line for it. Its two piece like the V2 rear dom, but on the exhaust pipe side of the pipe it has an O-ring built in to stop all the black crap goin everywhere.

I did a dummy fit up on my engine and it will bolt on straight away with out any hassels unlike the V2 Dom.

Had to order this one in from USA.

#20 ·
On order are:

ADA Billet Intake Manifold (silver)
MSD Spark Plug Wire and Boot
Baja High Flow Fuel Kit
Outlaw High Flow Air Filter
Integy Alloy Rear Hub Set with 1,2,3 Degree Toe Spacers (silver)
Integy Type II Alloy Steering Knuckle Set (silver)
Velocity Stack
Outerwears Shockwears Blue with Chrome Flame
Baja Wheel Bearing Kit - By Team Fast Eddy
Enclosed Wheel Nuts - HPI Baja Silver
Fast Eddy Dogbone Boot Installation Tool for Baja 5B / 5T
CY Clutch Shoe and Spring Kit

#25 ·
The bitch is done at last!!!

Well she is finally back together and been for its first run with new parts and engine. Not much more that i can do this car, as the only thing that is standard is the fuel tank and radio box (only jokin...)

The new engine runs well after blowing a haed gasket after 10mins run time:bang:. Had a spare gasket in the drawer so put her back together and left it to sit overnight before giving it another go. Its an absolute BEAST, although it lacks a little bottom end with the new CPI pipe but as its only had one tank of fuel through it, it should get better over time as it loosens up a bit:thumb:.

Here is a couple a new pics of her after i gave her a sponge bath...

#32 ·
Also i only just noticed that i never installed the engine outterwears for the crank case:bang:. Its gunna have to wait till next time i completly pull it down and rebuild it.

Just ordered Two new servo's 1x Hitec 7955 Digital Throttle Servo & 1x Multiplex Servo Rhino Digi 4 and a Yamadude linkage. This thing is gunna be bullet proof.

And if anyone is gunna run an MSD ignition lead (like the one i am running), only the iridium spark plugs will fit as the rubber boot that goes over the spark plug is too long for ya normal run of the mill plugs.

#35 ·
Homer was right, he said you were upgrade crazy!:eek:

Just give me plenty of notice when ya bring her on the track mate so to make sure i have my sunnies on.:D
Its hard to believe that it was not that long ago I met a fella with a 5T which was mildly modified and upgraded. And all he was goin on about was modifying it more to get more power and more speed etc. And i thought he was stoopid for even thinkin it. I thought i would leave this car nearly bog stock standard, as it was such an awesome car as the factory intended it.

Things got a little bit out of hand and once the first mod part was installed i started upgrading this thing at the speed of a run-away train!

Not much more that i can do to this bitch now.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.