1/5 4x4 HURRAX OR6 CRYPTON
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    R/C God

1/5 4x4 HURRAX OR6 CRYPTON

Yesterday I received a large package from DPS and I wasn't the only one with a grin on my face.... check out the boy!

Inside this carton is the very first Hurrax Crypton OR6 in NSW "not to be confused with the std Crypton".

Like a little kid I tear into the box and place everything on the table..... see below:

I was amazed how many parts this sucker came with as the online instructions made it look very simple but then again "the more stuff the better"......

I started at the centre diff area, I had three options:
    locked diff
    geared diff with grease
    Viscous diff with oil.

I selected the geared diff as I would like to compare the viscous diff after a run or two, I needed to file the plastic housing approx. 2mm for the screw to go through at the top as the alloy gear plate is a new option but that took all of 30 seconds and she went together really nice.

I have another brake assembly for the rear on it's way as the center diff won't allow proper braking on the rear "something I over looked".

Above the gear plate / engine plate is fitted and bolted up spot on...... wow, I am just starting to get an understanding of the size as these parts are really heavy duty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Glow plugs are for Diesel's.
    Batteries are for marital aids.
    No substitute for Gas! Thanks for the avatar Frog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Guru

I need more dave more.
    Enemys were the friends you thought you had, untill they stabbed you in the back!!!

R/C God
    Check out the back of the center diff case.... yes this photo and the one above is out of order but I have not had much sleep please use your imagination.

This next photo shows you the two main sections all in position and the stone cover over the bevel gears.

Next up is the diff and diff case assembly..... lucky for me the diffs had already been assembled, also another good thing is the wife (baja Widow) had some time and built one diff case and I built the other.

What do you think of those helical gears?

I noticed the diff case is cast alloy and had been machined in vital areas and they also required some gentle flexing for the two end bearings to sit into the grooves.... no problem for the wife or myself.

Here is what it looks on the chassis (5mm thick BTW)

It's coming along really nice and I had 3 holes in total that needed a clean up as the threads seemed a little tight and I didn't want to force anything, I just put the tap in the cordless and quickly cleaned the threads and "perfecto".

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

ha ha i started a thread in the large scale section was hoping to get yours trev ,waynee and kris feeback on cars and post photo's in 1 thread...lol
    ..........crap where is my car going .........

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/kongman27/313_edited-1.gif

R/C God
    It's a coming Waynee.

OK here is the front arms, like the fact that they use nuts on the end of the hinge pins.

And another....
    Note: the chassis and arms have been beed blasted / treated which will provide a very durable finsh on these exposed items and it also looks cool.

Here we are with rear arms all mounted up and looking trick.
    I noticed both front pair and rear pair of bulkheads are exactly the same and the lower arms are all the same as the upper arms are all the same........

The shock tower front and rear is exactly the same as each other so you won't need to carry a million and one spare parts either...... not bad I thought.

Shocks all fitted up and looking nice (love the end caps and alloy spring retainers).

This thing is going to end up to be a large car I think as it looks wide..... "sweet".

R/C Guru

no offence kongman but dave will do a much better job with a review but keep them both going it wont hurt i didnt do one because i knew dave was going to do one and well hes better at it

love the beam cans adding up dave!
    Enemys were the friends you thought you had, untill they stabbed you in the back!!!

lol so the boys are going 4wd hey, the jimmy cans are mutiplying dave. Looks the goods mate, cant wait to see how they go.
    Sponsored By: ProRC Indoor/Outdoor RC Charmhaven

R/C God
    With all the excitment I dropped in a brand new 4 bolt Zenoah G270 plus the radio tray and put the wheels on.

Also put the fuel tank in and roll cage...... might have missed a couple of photo's "again please use imagination".

The engine is easy to get in and out with the roll cage removed as it has 4 bolts in the gear plate and 4 in the chassis (simple idea).

Side on shot below:

Body and wing just sitting there for visual entertainment

So far so got as I need to upload a few more pic's and trim the body because I am using a tuned pipe but it's getting late and I am in need of some beauty sleep.

Stay tuned for more pic's and info.

Enjoy

we should merg the two threads........trev wanted me to do a writeup ....
    ..........crap where is my car going .........

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/kongman27/313_edited-1.gif

SWEET
    ONLY 4 CANS , YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT
    Last edited by TONYG; 28-06-2009 at 01:13 AM.

R/C God
    Yes boys, the cans build up........ when you sit there wrenching for so long one does get thirsty

Notice how you can see the top of the bench now, most parts are gone but I do have a few spares.

Once it's all finished I will get a pic of the left over parts and compare to the other guys build's.

Some cleaver ideas in this car and some very minor tweaks will make it killer, Note the engine I installed is totally stock as I am curious how a stock out of the box car runs.

R/C God
    Quote Originally Posted by kongman View Post
    we should merg the two threads........trev wanted me to do a writeup ....

No.

This review is based on my experience and expectations.

Happy to answer any questions though.

R/C Guru

Where do babies come from?lol
    what kinda glue did ya use on the wheels?
    could you post up a close up of the way you set your linkages and servos please? i am having a little trouble with the throttle and brake but the twin rhinos for the steering are sweet i had no troubles what so ever.
    Thanks mate

R/C Guru

hey dave did ya run the hurrax today how did she go?

R/C God
    Quote Originally Posted by waynee View Post
    Where do babies come from?lol
    what kinda glue did ya use on the wheels?
    could you post up a close up of the way you set your linkages and servos please? i am having a little trouble with the throttle and brake but the twin rhinos for the steering are sweet i had no troubles what so ever.
    Thanks mate
    Answer #1. I can email you some pictures
    #2. I have some CA glue (Zap).

The stock linkage they give you is total rubbish as the bends are all over the place and I would rather a straight length of rod..... so I made my own.

Quote Originally Posted by waynee View Post
    hey dave did ya run the hurrax today how did she go?
    I have not run it yet as I don't have a steering servo, the only servo I have is the HPI unit but it does not fit and I'm not cutting up a new car to make it fit.

Hopefully Kris from Danielspitstop has a Rino in stock with a beefy double sided horn???

Anyway, below is where it is at the moment:

Things to do:
    Receiver battery needs fitting.
    Receiver needs fitting
    Steering servo and linkage as mentioned above.
    Monster Pico switch for remote engine kill switch.
    Tighten exhaust.
    Tighten wheel nuts
    Loctite screws under chassis.
    Paint body

And that's about it!

Hope you like it.

R/C God

Guys,

I was lucky enough to see Allanach's third child after the open day at SSME yesterday.

I will say one thing about it...........SWEET!!!!!!

The photos don't do it justice.

It's all class............looks a million dollars and build quality looks both precise and robust.

Daniels Pit Stop should be on a winner here with the Australian rights to sell these babies.

Keep the thread going Dave......a great write up and pics so far.

Cheers,

Steve
    Thunder Tiger Sport 40L, HobbyKing (VQ Models) Kenmore Beaver, HobbyKing (Lanyu) Corsair, HobbyKing Bixler, HobbyKing Sonic 64 EDF Flying Wing, Parkzone Visionaire, Hangar 9 Funtana 125 with DLE 20 gas engine...all powered by Spektrum DX8

R/C God

First things first - I don't want to be asked about missing the FIRST open day as I am more devastated then you are... I have been refraining from looking at the other threads coz I'm so pis sed I missed it.

This Hurrax is great Dave - as the build progressed the buggy came along really nicely and the finished product is a sight for sore eyes!

I wanna get video of the first run Dave, if you haven't run it yet - so make sure you let me know okay
    AARCMCC Australian Champion 2012 - 2WD Outlaw

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by allanach View Post
    Check out the back of the center diff case.... yes this photo and the one above is out of order but I have not had much sleep please use your imagination.

This next photo shows you the two main sections all in position and the stone cover over the bevel gears.

Next up is the diff and diff case assembly..... lucky for me the diffs had already been assembled, also another good thing is the wife (baja Widow) had some time and built one diff case and I built the other.

What do you think of those helical gears?

I noticed the diff case is cast alloy and had been machined in vital areas and they also required some gentle flexing for the two end bearings to sit into the grooves.... no problem for the wife or myself.

Here is what it looks on the chassis (5mm thick BTW)

It's coming along really nice and I had 3 holes in total that needed a clean up as the threads seemed a little tight and I didn't want to force anything, I just put the tap in the cordless and quickly cleaned the threads and "perfecto".
    You have lovely hands Dave, pretty darn clean too, trim your nails and get back to work, he he he, guide is looking very cool, this is going to be very nice ride

Baja...Because Size Matters!

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

This is a really nice looking ride.........I bet she will handle like she's on rails.

I wonder how many people will add one of these to there collection of beasts.

Senior Moderator
    I would love to add one to my collection, but first I have to get Dave to Clone BW, I want a missus that gets her hands dirty and assembles parts like BW does Good on ya BW, love your work, and how did you get to build that on that sweet looking table, I would be headless if I tried that one.

Baja...Because Size Matters!

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast