Australian RC Forums banner

ARTR AX10 in my hands

7K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  Carnivean 
#1 ·
Well I grabbed one on the weekend . . . no running gear in it yet and will update as it comes through, but here are a few pics out of the box:

See less See more
#2 ·
Well it has started moving a bit quicker than I expected . . . new radio today:

With a bit of luck the overdue Tekin gear will arrive tomorrow

#3 ·
Very nice, i do like the look of the orange.

I haven't had a chance to take my AX10 out for awhile since getting the Summit and getting the DF-02 back up and running.

#4 ·
Stuff looks sooooo good when its all brand new out of the box. A bit of profesional style photography dosen't go astray either:thumb:

Aside from that, are those the wheels that it comes with? They look alloy.

#5 ·
haha yeah, love the photography. Got about 5 lenses now for the SLR. Gonna get some nice pics on the weekend if the ESC/motor arrives this week. Got a 10-22mm, 24-105mm, 100mm macro, 50mm portrait and a couple of others. That is my other hobby. Hopefully can marry the Crawler and photography together!

Actually this will be my first brand new car all the way through. More pumped about this than anything else I have done so far. Also think that the "getting out and about" rather than just out and bashing at similar locations has me thinking about locations more with the crawler.

I think the rims are just REALLY shiney when new. The locks are alloy but the wheels themselves are plastic.

#6 ·
Yeah I've got a snap happy mate too. He's got this lens thats like 500mm long and worth $6000. He too is into crawlers and owns a Tamia F250 high lift and a berge axel tuber:)

#7 ·
Yeah I cop out at $2-2.5k for a lens. Next for me will be the 100-400 L series that will effectively be a 160-640mm with the cropping from a 1.6 body. Then I will have nothing left to buy for it.

Still waiting for the dam FX-R though for mine . . . is near impossible to find in Australia and pretty much forget the crawler combos.

#8 · (Edited)
Gah! Just got a call from our disaster recovery site that went something like this . . .

Hello, yeah we have a package here for you. Problem is that is we send it in the internal mail it wont get there till after Monday next week.

At that point I was pretty pee'd off, our friggen mail room has sent the ESC/Motor/Locker package 60-70 kms away.

Crisis averted though as the nice girl on the other end says she is coming into head office to work tomorrow and she can bring it with her. Grroooovey . . .

Should have some more pics and some crawler action shots this weekend!

UPDATE . . . It's here!

#9 ·
Well weekend weather again spoilt some fun with this so the following ended up happening:

Original diff lockers replaced with Maximizer ones, weigh about twice as much as the stock ones.
Transmission reversed. The motor usually sits towards the left rear of the trasmission plate, now sits front right to counteract the torque twist.
Wheel weights purchased. Have about 400g of weight to distribute, looking at 80-90g in the front wheels and about half that in the rear.

The ESC is TINY! It is smaller than the Rx and the footprint of it is just miniscule, absolutely amazing.
Smooth as butter compared to the EVX-2 in the E-Maxx :)

We used it around the house with the kids setting up things that "there is no way you can get over that!"
Most things were easily negotiated until the clued on and picked a foot-stool about 50-60cm verticle! While we didn't get over that, the AX10 managed to get the front wheels up the surface until it was nearly verticle.

While the weather was disappointing, still a bit of fun had!

#11 ·
Hey I had all the gear loaded up in one bag ready to go 4 x 5000mah batts, DX3r, AX10, 100mm f2.8 Macro, EF-S 10-22mm, EF 28-105mm f4/L and a 4 gig chip ready to rock and got nothing but rain! Taking some photos now

#12 ·
This is about as action packed as it gets at the moment.

First pic is the FX-R along side the Rx. Not often you see the ESC smaller than the Rx!

Second is the Maximizer locker going in. Third is the diff assembled, the bearing on top is new. For some reason, the rear diff assebly only had one bearing installed and one completely missing.

3, 4 and 5 are the weights. Getting ready, the weights about to be covered up again and the additional just outside the wheel in behind the wheel centres. Around the rim there is 90g and then another 30g on the last photo. Cutting and shaping the weights so the pre-installed tape has lots of contact has taken most of the night.

Hopefully some time to get the action shots this weekend.

Attachments

#14 ·
hehe yeah bit of a pain. If I grab anything for a wheel upgrade it's only going to be more pain!

Yeah I was pretty impressed with the ESC, touch smaller than the Rx. Pretty impressive having it able to deal with the 3s of a lipo, 6c/3A BEC and 7 different on board adjustments

#16 ·
Yeah I have it done even before I got it home, I bought the HotWire and programmed it on the PC at work for a muck around. Also gave it a firmware update from 28 to 30 to get the throttle profiles at the low end dialed in properly, apparently a problem with them prior version 30.

Also the HotWire gives you access to 5 preset throttle profiles and custom, plus some brake profiles. Can't manage those on the ESC itself.

Have it started with 50% drag brake, reverse strength 50%, immediate reverse, push control/punch off, current limiter off, voltage cut-off custom at 6.15v from memory.

#17 ·
Sounds good. With the extra weight in the front now the drag brake might not be as effective as it could, but thats something you can adjust after a day on the rocks:thumb:

#18 ·
apparently the strongest thing about the ESC is the strength of the drag brake. Going from people who have both the FX-R and either of Goat/Mamba Max it is atleast twice as strong.

I would have no idea though personally, as I dont have a Mamba Max or been outside crawling for that matter ;) lol

#19 ·
That's the best thing about crawling. It doesn't matter what the weather is doing you can always find somewhere to crawl, like in your garage, under a bridge,under the house. Don't let the weather put you off from going for a crawl.

Great looking rig. They crawl realy well straight out of the box.:D

#20 ·
I love the building part so the weather has been good for me mucking around with the car and changing stuff. Last night worked on the rear wheels and added in the 60g there, for 120g per wheel front and 60g in the rear.

Tonight I think I will get out the dremel and take to the transmission/skid plate and move the lower links inside.

Was thinking about opening the tyres back up to get to the foam and get some star cuts happening but I figure I should wait to see hoa she goes with the extra weight in the wheels.

#21 ·
Damn I hate this rain . . . nothing but garage crawling :( Gets a little old after so many laps of the garage.

All I end up doing is buying more kit . . . incoming is:
Front Axle battery/servo mount
CC 10A BEC
Carbon Fibre tape for some bling
AX10 Stainless steel screw set
Losi 4" Threaded crawler shock set

Also ended up grabbing a MMM ESC and a E-Revo 2200kv motor to go with it.

Rainy weekends are so expensive

#22 ·
Damn I hate this rain . . . nothing but garage crawling :( Gets a little old after so many laps of the garage.

All I end up doing is buying more kit . . . incoming is:
Front Axle battery/servo mount
CC 10A BEC
Carbon Fibre tape for some bling
AX10 Stainless steel screw set
Losi 4" Threaded crawler shock set

Also ended up grabbing a MMM ESC and a E-Revo 2200kv motor to go with it.

Rainy weekends are so expensive
mate you could rock crawl all day in my garage its a mess lol rc stuff from one end to the other!

#23 ·
WOW, what a tale from go to woe.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Attachments

#24 ·
Maaate... you got a molten mess... oh... thats your esc? Ouch! lol.

Nasty... bad day indeed. What happened?

Hope they have a good warranty and get it replaced.

I quite like that 2nd photo there, looks quite nice.

#25 ·
Nothing really. Cruising around for about 15-20 mins. We found a spot where there were some good areas to crawl through and the little fella had a go. He was driving for about 5 mins and smoke started pouring out.

I just ripped off the lid and disconnected the battery. battery looks fine, including all wires etc. Likewise with the motor. Motor still has the solder posts attach to the wire.

If it doesn't get covered by warranty, I'll either go brushless or sell most of my gear

#26 ·
Bugger, that sucks the big one... big time.

Sounds like the internals somehow shorted out.

Hope they cover it... for a company like that, I would sure like to think they would.

Just out of curiosity... what camera you got?

#27 ·
Yeah, bites the big one definitely.

Should be covered, definitely inside the 3-month they offer and like you said, decent size company.

Took the "working" pics with a Canon 450D with the EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L series.
"Magma" shots taken with the EF 100mm f/2.8 macro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.