Australian RC Forums banner

Online rc shopping

8K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  GTOJOE 
#1 ·
I see on this forum many many complaints about RChobbies not replying to e-mails, not having things listed in stock etc.

Well i'll share a recent experience.

This week my father decided its time for a new race car. After some research he narrowed down to 3 cars. Team magic, Xray NT1 or serpent 720.

So the emails and ring arounds started.
He contacted no less than 10 different stores in australia.
Dispite a few of the shops saying that they had at least one of those cars in stock (according to their website) none of them actually did.
Only 3 stores were helpful.
RChobbies and Perth RC and Stryke Hobbies.
Only PerthRC answered the email,
RC hobbies said they will ring up an importer and see what they could get in (dispite not being something they sell) and they did
And Stryke hobbies (the last person rang) actually had all 3 choices in stock.
He did a good deal, and Dad bought a motor aswell (Serpent 720 and a RB motor)

This is not a thread to advertise the good help that was recieved (although thankyou to them, we will continue to buy from them and reccomend to anyone that asks)
This thread is to make aware that people should not rely on internet shops, make a phone call, its not hard. Build a relationship with the shop and the good service will follow.

Even having an inventry list is not always accurate, previously i rang 3 stores that said on their site that they had the part in stock. None of them actually did. 1 of those stores was very hhelpful though.

So many unhelpful shops lost $1000 in a sale because they couldn't be bothered to answer an email. Not to mention the sale for when i order my new car, and any further orders.

RChobbies is not a bad store, they are one of the best i've delt with.
At least they try, yes they make mistakes, but nobody is perfect.

See less See more
#2 ·
But don't have the racer knowledge to help you out in track setups and no skills of where they do not ask for a part number unlike RC hobbies. I really like RC hobbies but because of the fact that they can't work without a part number really pushes me away and also I can't receive any help from a racers perspective for example which diff fluid to use at this certain track etc. That is why I stick to the shops that are run by racers.

Personal opinion.

#3 ·
I see on this forum many many complaints about RChobbies not replying to e-mails, not having things listed in stock etc.

Well i'll share a recent experience.

This week my father decided its time for a new race car. After some research he narrowed down to 3 cars. Team magic, Xray NT1 or serpent 720.

So the emails and ring arounds started.
He contacted no less than 10 different stores in australia.
Dispite a few of the shops saying that they had at least one of those cars in stock (according to their website) none of them actually did.
Only 3 stores were helpful.
RChobbies and Perth RC and Stryke Hobbies.
Only PerthRC answered the email,
RC hobbies said they will ring up an importer and see what they could get in (dispite not being something they sell) and they did
And Stryke hobbies (the last person rang) actually had all 3 choices in stock.
He did a good deal, and Dad bought a motor aswell (Serpent 720 and a RB motor)

This is not a thread to advertise the good help that was recieved (although thankyou to them, we will continue to buy from them and reccomend to anyone that asks)
This thread is to make aware that people should not rely on internet shops, make a phone call, its not hard. Build a relationship with the shop and the good service will follow.

Even having an inventry list is not always accurate, previously i rang 3 stores that said on their site that they had the part in stock. None of them actually did. 1 of those stores was very hhelpful though.

So many unhelpful shops lost $1000 in a sale because they couldn't be bothered to answer an email. Not to mention the sale for when i order my new car, and any further orders.

RChobbies is not a bad store, they are one of the best i've delt with.
At least they try, yes they make mistakes, but nobody is perfect.
But don't have the racer knowledge to help you out in track setups and no skills of where they do not ask for a part number unlike RC hobbies. I really like RC hobbies but because of the fact that they can't work without a part number really pushes me away and also I can't receive any help from a racers perspective for example which diff fluid to use at this certain track etc. That is why I stick to the shops that are run by racers.

Personal opinion.
rchobbies is a great store and very helpful guys...most people who go there know when they talk to the guys they will get help and great price...

I really like RC hobbies but because of the fact that they can't work without a part number really pushes me away and also I can't receive any help from a racers perspective for example which diff fluid to use at this certain track
I believe you may have walked into rchobbies, if you can memorize over the hundreds of thousands of stock they have without a part number you must be a genius, let alone every part in the manual...certain shops have certain criteria...i.e rchobbies, for the fun, enthusiasts, beginners, all round....and then you would have CMC, more the type of serious racers and setups, but then even if you told them you want a specific part for an xray product, you'd probably get the same question, whats the part number, or they'd look it up themselves.

:):):):)

#4 ·
you are correct mate,I went to custom model cars heaps of time (xray distributor) and if you go there and say I want a front shock tower for my 808 they will look at you as if your stupid.the only way they can serve you is with a part number.

#6 ·
Ever walked into a Holden or Ford dealership to get parts for your 1/1 car
and been asked for the part number? No didn't think so,Dealers should have part's listing and their staff should know how to read them,I rang a place a couple of weeks ago for some Rusty parts the half wit on the phone told me if i didn't have part number he couldn't help me,now i downloaded the exploded views and parts listing myself from the Traxxas site so why didn't this tosser have a copy of this (he claims to be a TRX dealer) or was he to lazy to look it up.i have a low tolerance for fools so i didn't give him the part # just a piece of my mind :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: There's no excuse for pisspoor customer service.but i'm afraid quite a few hobbie shops suffer from it.
Rant over

#7 ·
Coming from an Automotive trade background, and now in retail, the reason why they ask for part numbers is simple, half the time the customer does not know the correct name, and also quite often the same part has a couple of different names. Simply, it all comes down to time. Its much quicker to just put a part number into a computer.

Quite often in a real car spare parts place, they have more time as they generally aren't as busy as a hobby shop. Also, for example, say you want a shock for a VE Commodore, it costs $250, $50 of that might be profit for the dealer, An RC shock might cost $25, $5 profit, and it takes the same amount of time to find the part. So a car dealer can afford to spend the time looking for the part

#11 ·
well said !!

lifes much easier if you just throw a part number at them....makes them and your life easier....whether you want them to know your description, who cares, a part number verifies everything.

Scenario 1:
"Hi, you know the thing at the rear of the car, the black plastic thing? the thing that sits on the chassis? i can't really describe it to be honest....."

GOT A PART NUMBER???????????

"Sure do! Part no: 123 - description is this"

GOT ONE IN STOCK!
DONE!
Time communicating: under 30secs-1min

Scenario 2:

"Hi, you guys got the rear bulkhead for this rc car?"

GOT A PART NUMBER???????????

"thats its im so peeeeeved off now, why do i have to give you a part number....I don't need to explain you guys should know what im talking about!" *struts off*

CRY BABY subjective to the idea the customer service representative did not provide support in looking at his own exploded view manuals....

Scenario 3:

"Hi im looking for this thing for my rc car which is an xray nt1, it looks like a circle and has these teeth thingies that spin another teeth thingy"

GOT A PART NUMBER?

No i don't sorry....

CAN'T HELP YA

Now thats just not on with any hobby shop or any customer service at all........thats just either lazyness, or completely useless worker

#8 ·
Also how many models is the Holden dealer supporting?

I dare say there are a few.

I bet most quality RC stores are stocking parts for hundreds of different models of cars. Knowing for all models would be godly.

Also:
"What do you want sir?"
"You know the bit at the top of the shock that pops off? Some alloy ones for them"
"Shock caps?"
"Yeah that's them, I need 8 alloy ones of them"
"I have them here in front of me in the diagram, part number xxxx"
"Thanks I need 8, send out please, etc etc"

You get those in the mail and they are wrong. Or you turn up and they are not the exact ones. Part numbers, even if you both have the exploded diagrams in front of you, are the best way to verify that you are talking about the same thing.

I dare say places like the big hobby stores would be carrying so many different pieces what you are expecting is just not feasible over the phone.

Now I would agree if you walk into a hobby store and then the staff members says they can't help you.
They should be able to search their catalog from their computers and go best efforts.
When I have walked in to same and said that I need a replacement 68T 0.8mod spur gear from Traxxas and their response is whats the part number, that's not on.

#9 ·
I find it's easier to work with a description of the part sometimes, but yes it's good when people supply part numbers and it can be just punched into the computer. I've never really asked for a part number unless it has been over the phone and I have no idea what the person is on about in terms of description...

Cheers

#10 ·
Personally ive always had great service from rc hobbies for the others i cant comment on , rc hobbies bent over backwards to keep me happy , there service and speedy delivery are second to none , if i cant get what i want from them , my second choice is tower hobbies , but at the end of the day i like to support aus bisineses , to keep our money/jobs here.

regards
Trev

#12 ·
Ok,here's what i asked for "Rustler VXL front shock bottom rod end,ultra shocks,it wasn't the fact he asked for a part # that pissed me off,it was that he said he couldn't help me if i didn't have one and was a rude *****,i fully understand having a part # makes life easier and i never said i expect staff to know every part off the top of their heads (who could?) I gave a precise description to the part i wanted but this bloke for whatever reason didn't want to help,probably a $2
profit in what i wanted, stuff all really,but the brushless E-Revo i'm buying in 2 months will have a large profit margin but this bloke wont see a cent of it.
Not all shops are like this,the guys at RC Garage spent 15 mins looking for 2 screws for me,cost me $2,good customer service,these guys will get my money again and again,is it to much to expect decent customer service?sorry but i work hard for my money and i'm not gonna give it to rude arrogont *****.

#13 ·
t wasn't the fact he asked for a part # that pissed me off,it was that he said he couldn't help me if i didn't have one and was a rude *****,
Well that's different then and likely fair enough :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.