Gasser Heli selection advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hi Peter,
    A burning wire harness sounds very problematic, was it coming in contact with the engine casing, I hope it didn't result in too much damage?

The TRex600e had a work out today so all is good again, and know stuffed gyro to replace so leaves more cash in the kitty to go towards the Spectra-G.

I pulled the autorotation hub out, tested it to make sure it was functioning as it should, cleaned it , lubricated it and reassembled it. It was certainly a lot looser afterwards. I also noticed that the tail pitch slider wasn't centred properly at mid stick, so a few turns on the ball link had that sorted as well. I tested the TRex600 out with some full speed piros in the hover in both directions and the gyro stopped on a dime, so I considered that as a resonable test to make sure the gyro wouldn't become erratic again. I had (3) flights today and it flew as good as before the mishap, so I'm Happy Again!.

I'm still waiting on the arrival of the tail servo gears for the Rappy, other than that it's all back together again, hopefully they should arrive this week, I think they're on the slow boat from China, oops I mean Hong Hong.

See you again in a couple of weeks
    P.S Thanks again for all your help and support and of course responding on the forums.

Cheers,
    Kelvin

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

the burning wire effect was caused by some mindless heli mechanic crushing the wires between the carbon frames....

I hate it when I cant blame someone/something else...... but its all good again now.....

Great that your heli is going again, you're welcome at the Jungle any time.....
    QLD's Gold Coast.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MA Spectra G's ;Stratus's ; Extreme, E Razor , N Razor, Fury 55 ;Furion 6; Electric , Nitro & Gasser Whiplash's; ,Aeolus 50 3D ; TSA 600N ; TSA 700N; BeastX FBL electronics... XPS 2.4 GhZ radio........ lots of ignored planks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Peter,
    Those mindless heli mechanics are always a problem, I think I have been one myself on a few occasions.

The Rappy is operational again but.. I test flew it in the backyard, hovered and noticed an intermittent vibration which was showing up in the landing skids. I did some power climbouts and it would come and go. I thought the main shaft must have also been damaged, so I ordered a new one, the old one when rolled on a sheet of glass was questionable as to if it was bent. I replaced it anyway but this hasn't entirely fixed the problem, I'm thinking it's a headspeed issue as it isn't constant and seems to be affected by thottle/pitch interaction.

I had two good flights on Sunday and the motor still seems very rich based on the smoke trail, it was a very windy day but the rappy handled it very well. That extra weight is sooo good in the hover doing slow manoevers, it's like chalk and cheese compared to the light weight Trex600e.

I hope to get back to the jungle either this Sunday or next , maybe you can detect what's going on with the rappy.

Cheers,
    Kelvin

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Servo Savers for the Spectra G

Hi Peter,
    I've been doing some google searches to try and determine the use of the servo savers or whatever they're called for use on the Spectra-G. Do you have any information or links in regards to these optional extras? Also what about the restrictor for the Century Torpedo V3 Muffler, is it a worthwhile option and what advantage will it provide?

I also noticed that MA no longer supply the Spectra-G with the open tail transmission and offer a deal for replacement to those that have them.
    Have you read anything about this to understand what the issues have been as I see that you have this on at least one of your gassers?

Regards,
    Kelvin

I hate it when a heli shakes! got a Stratus doing that atm too ..

Re the G, the currently supplied tail box is THE BOX !! MA's closed metal tail box is almost indestructable; far superior to the open box. I'm slowly getting rid of the open boxes and fitting the closed ones to my helis..I'll explain the early open box hassles when I see you , too much to type! But it is sorted now...

The Century restrictor helps with tuning the 231, not needed with a 26...

The MA " servo savers" help to stabilise the servos, definitely save the mounting lugs and grommets etc , and probably make it more precise, not that I can pick that!!

See you soon......
    QLD's Gold Coast.

MA Spectra G's ;Stratus's ; Extreme, E Razor , N Razor, Fury 55 ;Furion 6; Electric , Nitro & Gasser Whiplash's; ,Aeolus 50 3D ; TSA 600N ; TSA 700N; BeastX FBL electronics... XPS 2.4 GhZ radio........ lots of ignored planks

Another great day at the Jungle , sorted the Rappy shake too

I hope Klaus? liked the changes we made to his heli, origionally I was just going to change stuff in the radio , and save his old setup ; but it needed a bit more than that !! His Mode 1234 made it a bit hard for anyone else to fly his heli

Had the headlights on again to leave the field , but I was a tad late getting there ..
    QLD's Gold Coast.

R/C Apprentice
    You are right on with the tail gearboxes Pete.

The closed gearboxes, provided you pop a bit of grease in there occasionally never wear out and never break!!!!

thats all I have as well!

cheers
    Glenn
    Tempest FAI/YS91/Funtech/Futaba
    Tempest 3d/YS91/Hatori/Futaba
    E-Razor/Futaba/Hacker/Kontronics
    www.rcheliworld.com.au

Thanks Peter for your help with the Rappy!

I'll be powering it up tomorrow morning to see how it is after your final adjustments. I think those last adjustments were to enable the engine to be shut down from the radio as this was not possible after the work on the engine and radio tuning were complete.

I haven't caught up with Claus this week as I have been away in Mackay for work, but will probably see him in the weekend. I think he'll be fine, he will just need to get used to the changes as I did. Claus is quite conservative and cautious so it was a good thing and will allow him to move forward.

On our way home Claus and I were too busy talking and missed a 60 speed limit sign near Canungra and unfortunately paid the price, some $200.00 later, I was not a happy vegemite . Not a good end to a great day flying.

Thanks again and I'll see you in a few weeks time at the jungle.

Cheers
    Kelvin

Spectra G Throttle Servos

Hi Peter,
    I'm currently researching servos for the Spectra-G and of course I have changed my mind various times for many different reasons and so far haven't purchased anything.
    The one I'm indecisive most about at present is the throttle servo, considering all I have read on the forums. I'm not really sure about the use of metal or even Titanium gears in the throttle servos as a number have recommended against this. What are your thoughts and/or recommendations?

This is what I have in mind so far;
    Cyclic: INO-LAB HG-D751MG
    Rudder: JR 8900G (Only because it is one of the pre-programmed servos in the CY Solid G Gyro I have purchased)
    Throttle: ?????

I know servo selection and opionions are many and varied, but your opinion is valued by me.

Cheers,
    Kelvin

Most of us have had high quality digital servos suffer a very short life as throttle servos on gassers!!
    Cheap analogue servos seem to last lots better ; I have Hitec 422's on mine......I know of a few with pootaba 3001's too , all working well.....

Bet that's upset your thinking!!!!
    QLD's Gold Coast.

R/C Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Most of us have had high quality digital servos suffer a very short life as throttle servos on gassers!!
    Cheap analogue servos seem to last lots better ; I have Hitec 422's on mine......I know of a few with pootaba 3001's too , all working well.....

Bet that's upset your thinking!!!!
    Hi Peter, just out of interest why do you think an analog servo is better and why would a digital servo be more vulnerable as a throttle servo, over the other cyclic servo's. I would think it would be subject to the same amount of vibration as the others, whilst operating the lowest load

I'm asking this for the exact reason wingnut-1960 is, because I too will be looking for servo's when my trex700 finaly arrives. BTW, seems like its boomeranged back to Hong Kong, due to some unknown postal glitch

Anyway, back to the question of servo's and for other similarly experience gassers out there like yourself, are servo failures more prominent with gasser's than nitro powered machines?

In 20 years of flying nitro, I have had less than a handfull of servo failures [no digital back in those years!] and obviously if there is a valid reason, I'm all ears as I want to make the correct selection for my gasser, hence the questions

Cheers,

It's only the throttle servo that gives trouble on the gassers, I've had futaba, JR and hitec digitals die , rather quickly , whereas Hitec 422's , etc etc seem to last forever .. and its the electronics in the servos that goes , pots and motors are usually still OK ....

I have no idea of the reasons , it's just what happens Pretty common everywhere too , though there's always some that claim to have no problems with any servo as well

I've also had very few servos die in planks or helis, been into flying since 1971 ,helis since 1976, but experience indicates that gassers eat the "quality " servos when they're used on throttle!!!
    Last edited by Peter; 01-06-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    QLD's Gold Coast.

R/C Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It's only the throttle servo that gives trouble on the gassers, I've had futaba, JR and hitec digitals die , rather quickly , whereas Hitec 422's , etc etc seem to last forever .. and its the electronics in the servos that goes , pots and motors are usually still OK ....

I have no idea of the reasons , it's just what happens Pretty common everywhere too , though there's always some that claim to have no problems with any servo as well

I've also had very few servos die in planks or helis, been into flying since 1971 ,helis since 1976, but experience indicates that gassers eat the "quality " servos when they're used on throttle!!!
    Hmm....... I would still like to fully understand as to why a throttle servo on a gasser is working any harder than it would on a nitro engine though? And as you stated, some say they haven't experienced any problems with throttle servo's, so as an electrical engineer this makes me very uncomfortable

Anyway, I suppose an analog servo is cheaper than a digital one so I have no problem with that. Hitec 422 it is then

I run a JR radio so any suggestions for the cyclic servo's?

I don't think it's "working harder " on a gasser throttle , but it is connected to the vibration source ; my thoughts anyway....

The Spectra G I have in front of me atm has Futaba 9252's on swash controls ,my other G's run Hitec digitals, 6975's I think ...
    QLD's Gold Coast.

Throttle Servos

Hi Peter,
    Thanks for your thoughts on throttle servos, I know servos are always a passionate topic and generally stir up a lot of discussion.

I'll go with the HS-422, the price certainly is good compared to others.

Cheers,
    Kelvin

Kelvin , are you aware of the heli day at PRAM's on the 14th ? looks like being a good time!
    QLD's Gold Coast.

Thanks Peter for letting me know,
    I just checked it out on-line while I was talking to Claus. I haven't been to the PRAM's club before so it might be a good chance to go and have a look.
    Do you have to contact anyone to fly or can you just turn up on the day and show your membership card?

I put the fuel pump back on the Rappy motor, as even though I checked out all the fuel tanks and lines and replaced the clunk lines, the motor still ran a bit rough on the last 5% of the fuel tank. I can now fly right into the header tank without issues. I've had to tinker a bit with the tuning after putting the pump back on so it will probably still need some further fine tuning.

See you at PRAM's if I manage to get there.

Cheers Kelvin

PRAM's day is just turn up , with your MAAA card , and have fun! costs $10 too , but theres some goodies in the pilots draw ....

Seems most clubs like to profit from visitors these days .....

Pleased the R90 is getting better . Hows Claus going with the changes we made to his heli ?
    QLD's Gold Coast.

Cheers Peter for the info,
    Claus is going OK, he was initially a bit concerned but now has had a bit of time on the sticks so is getting used to the new settings. He loves the higher head speed and has been practicing autos and is doing really well, I'll now need to pull my finger out.
    He had a slight incident last Sunday at the end of the auto and the heli neally tipped over, he was lucky and sustained minimal damage, main shaft, feathering spindle, blades and tail boom. The boom was only slight as were the blades and easily repaired. I think he's probably up and running again already.

See you next Sunday at PRAM's

everyone's happy, love it!!

Sure will catch up at PRAMS
    QLD's Gold Coast.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast