Australian RC Forums banner

2nd gear issues and idle issues

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  beers4evo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

edit: car = hpi rs4 evo3+
Im having issues with my 2nd gear, ever since I bought the car I haven't been able to hit 2nd gear AND I have issues with my idle.

Firstly,

2nd gear: I have taken apart the tranny and inspected it, according to the manual, to adjust 2nd gear early shift point is to fully tighten the grub screw in the hole that has the ball bearing and spring. Then, in 1/4 increments anti-clockwise turn 3 times. I did that probably around 10 times and no luck. I have had made sure the car was sufficient enough to reach high RPM to engage 2nd gear but no luck again. If I loosen the grub screw too much the tranny cover stops spinning due to the grub screw being too far out. Mind you, the grub screw once fully screwed in only has minimal space to adjust to engage 2nd gear. Any help or advice would be great...

Secondly,

Idle issues: I do not know what the hell is going on here, I have read so many topics and can't find a solution and tried so many things, like pinching the fuel line method, factory settings, I screwed the idle screw till it couldn't go any further and then did 1 and half turns back, I looked at my friends once. I also did changes by leaning on the HSN and LSN as well.
I am seriously lost....
Once the car turns on, its probably on 4,000 rpms, I have to press the brakes everytime. Please help.

And lastly, my last attempt on trying to engage 2nd gear from no good to worse, I tried accelerating and it would only rev only up to mid range, and then accerlation let go, and I did it again, it worked, and then cut out. Worse of it, I could smell something like if a fuse went out....not good....I tried to start it again, it turned on fine, and tried 3rd time and nothing atm...I will have to check again.

Sorry for the lengthy post, hope someone can help.

Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
not sure about 2nd gear. when you look down into the carby throat,the gap should be around 1mm,you have screwed in way to far,hence high idle,the HSN AND LSN process does not apply to idle screw

#3 ·
Reset all needles to factory.
From memory you have different pinion gears for more speed?
Its quite possible that the motor isn't revving out far enough to engage 2nd. So you will need to losen the screws in the 2nd gear just a bit.
Also the engine could be a bit rich still too.

#5 ·
i reset the needles to factory

HSN = flush binding
LSN = flush binding

so basically all i did was hold the WOT for about 5 - 7 secs and i couldn't hear it, or is the rpm still going? it sounds like its full maxed of rpm when i hold it for that long....
unlike the serpent 720 it has a defined 2nd gear engagement and thats what im trying to hear....but cannot. any other ideas?

I've put the HSN from 9pm to 12am. (to make more sense).
and LSN is the same...

#6 ·
how hard is it to start up?treat these needles very gently,you say you have done the pinch test,what happened when you done that?

#7 ·
is starts up fine, after 2 pulls or so.
yeah i am leaning it 1/8th of a turn
pinch test, first it was 4 secs, with a slight increase of rpm
next pinch test, high rpm

but now i did was take off the air filter, loosen the idle screw, moved the linkage to neutral to see and make sure it was 1mm and it is. When i start her up, she sits on idle, 10 secs or so she wants to move slowly, much better then before. now all i need is to get the 2nd gear issue working, now i must tighten the grub screw and loosen 1/8th of turns to get her working!

#9 ·
Mate I have the exact same problem as your second idle issue.

If I have the brakes gently on, ie pushing forward on the trigger not enough to apply any brakes but enough to have the slide in the carby pushing against the idle screw giving it a 1mm gap. When I turn on my controller it sits nicely at about 1mm open but then it gets all jittery and stays open to like 2~3mm and the car wants to go!

I was hoping that getting something like a DX2.0/3.0/3S/3R might fix my problems with more precise throttle control and less jitters but its an expensive test.

Also in regards to your problem with it cutting out, sounds like you need to richen up your HSN also.

#10 ·
Ohhh NO! not happy.
Basically I took my car out yesterday after this post and my car is not reaching peak HIGH RPM at all. Its like if you were driving in a real car, and stuck in first gear. I'm not quite sure if it has to do with 2nd gear engaging because I made sure and double checked that the ball bearing, spring and grub screw was tighted down in the transmission.

Observation: Upon accelerating down the straight, the car revs up quite nicely but then doesn't feel like its moving anywhere. First I thought it might be the too rich because I put the needles back to factory settings, so I started slowly leaning the car out after a few minutes or but nothing changed....still the same. Then I inspected the gears and they looked fine (not stripped or loose), and then I inspected the transmission and I figured, there would be no problem if i tightend the grub screw down all the way as it will engage 2nd gear later. I then thought lets try and engage 2nd gear ealier so I did 1 x 1/4 turn back, nothing worked, and another 1 x 1/4 turn back and nothing again, then after inspecting the tranny again, the grub screw, spring, ball bearing popped out and I lost it

My question basically is, whats causing the RPM to not increase?

What happens if you don't put in the ball bearing,spring and grubscrew, what will the symptoms be?

Do you have any other ideas what it may be?

Mind you when i was revving the car on a stand before taking my car out to test out 2nd gear, i remmeber reaching very high rpm, and heard a click, and some burning sensation....not sure if thats related...

Is it engine related problem you guys think?

I hope enough of this information helps.

Thanks.

#11 ·
What exactly are your factory settings?Where do you live?someone here may live close by and be willing to give you some hands on help,i would replace lost parts asap and not drive until you have, as it may cause even more trouble for you,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.