Australian RC Forums banner

Stockton 2008 - Free @ Stockton

54K views 335 replies 35 participants last post by  BigKev aka The Frog 
#1 ·
#33 ·
My pain of the day was the clutch now after stip down i see that sand kept getting in it was over heating it bad. Looks like it has worn down the Elcon shoes about 2mm to me.**Any one know the outer diameter of a new or newesh Elcon clutch around the shoes that would help me out heaps**.

#35 ·
Mazda: To be hounest i think the heat did more damage to the shoes than the sand. Teflon shoes dont normally wear down because of the sand (correct me if im wrong).
But from now on im not going to run a clutch cover, it just gets too hot.

#37 ·
Hmm... seems like we cant win here :D Ill have a look at my elcon tommorow to see what the wear is like on it. I was running a modified clutch cover, and the heat build up ended up destroying one of my bearings and stripping the paint completely off my turtle bell :eek: We need some sort of efficient venting system on an enclosed carrier... if thats possible :D

Cheers

#38 ·
Hmm... seems like we cant win here :D Ill have a look at my elcon tommorow to see what the wear is like on it. I was running a modified clutch cover, and the heat build up ended up destroying one of my bearings and stripping the paint completely off my turtle bell :eek: We need some sort of efficient venting system on an enclosed carrier... if thats possible :D

Cheers
Sure is...........

Check out my thread post #435 CLICK ME

#41 ·
That is some awesome vid and pic's..... what a day:preggers:

I am yet to see if my vented clutch housing trick worked as I am curious on shoe life.

My damage so far is an exhaust gasket...... small price to pay for so much fun.

I noticed the elcon clutches in nearly every case started to have problems, this is probably the heat and not the sand.
IMO from what I had seen over the weekend a standard clutch shoe set-up with high RPM spring ana a billet (no enclosed) bell carrier is the way to go.

Any one else with any thoughts?

#42 ·
Thats exactly what I ran last year, everyone was going the enclosed jobs before this event - I almost did the same but thought stuff it - stay with what you know works, and I had no clutch or bearing issues once again. My rtr was running an old Vertigo billet carrier (not enclosed), new bearings, steel beel, DDM 7500 spring and RR speed gears - no probs. The SS was running an integy bell carrier (not enclosed), new bearings, HPI 8000rpm spring and stock gearing - also no probs.

#44 ·
well i was running a vp bell and vp enclosed carrier, the clutch is worn back to shiny metal and the front of the clutch has blue/purple heat marks on it. The bearings/bell and carrier are all fine, so pretty happy with the vp setup:thumb:

#45 ·
Homer,

I'm running the stock bell with the VP enclosed carrier and I can't stop the outside bearing from pulling out. Some metal shavings actually came out with the bearing yesterday. Guess I'll have to lock down the bearing with some retaining compound and also use some red locktite on the pinion bolt.

I know the pinion was meshed properly to the bell last time I put it together and the pinion bolt was tight.

I'll probably run it by Clayton at VP and see if he has had any other reported problems along these lines.

I had no sand in the carrier but the clutch shoes were totally gone.

Cheers,

Steve

#46 ·
I noticed one of the newcastle boys wore the clutch (reversed shoes) completely out and it had turned blue, with that heat generated the crank case seal let go and the engine sucked all the clutch dust up through the bearings and fried them.
There was a good 2mm of up/ down & left/ right play in the crack shaft from the wear and I dare say a new head kit would be required.

Luckily it was just a stock Zen.

I am with you Monaroman, the stock set-up with high rpm spring and billet non enclosed carried could be the way to go.

#47 ·
I am with you Monaroman, the stock set-up with high rpm spring and billet non enclosed carried could be the way to go.
Thanks To Monaroman I Am Now Running That Setup . "Flying Now "

#53 · (Edited)
And then there was a Baja that thought it could go wandering.....not according to the owner......"get back here"....:p....should have fitted that pico switch i have kicking around in my tool box....:eek:..

#55 · (Edited)
Then we had a "Father n' daughter" race.....you could tell on the track there was not much love lost.....:eek:.....going hard till the bitter end...lol

#56 · (Edited)
After getting the rules explained again they took of for a "second" chance...now play fair guys......yeah right somebody thought....:D.....that's a race....no ***** footing around here mate....:eek:

#60 · (Edited)
We also had a guy who thought he would wear down his front wheels....so he just used his rear ones......:crazy:....that was one continues wheely guys....never seen anything like that....had to check afterwards if he had a wheely bar on the back....top score mate :thumb:

#63 ·
That's Main-event and "yes" that's all it does..... kinda funny.

Monaroman even made a vid featuring that car.

Different strokes for dirrerent folks I guess:thumb:

Love those photo's.... what cam are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.