Australian RC Forums banner

Australian Top Gear

5K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  damstachizz 
#1 ·
Does anyone else think its crap compared to the original uk version?

Its just not the same without Richard, James and Jeremy and their antics

#2 ·
Don't get me started, what a load of rubbish. It's obvious nobody can duplicate the original, they should have just tried to do something totally different instead of a lame imitation... blargh

#3 ·
Yep, I'm with you guys, it's embarrassing....hope no one from OS sees it.
But, I do hope it get's better....
Apparently they were in the Super Pit here in Kal doing a drag race with a couple of 793C dump trucks...I want to see that.

#7 ·
I watched UK topgear cause it was funny AND it was about cars.....now i just watch OZ topgear for the cars, the 3 oz hosts try to sort of copy the uk hosts style but they dont do it right and aren't really funny, i wouldnt laugh if they tickled me.....:D

G
#9 ·
Even the original Topgear is a load of crap! I have watched the aus Topgear, and I would rather watch 5th Gear anyday. Atleast they actually test cars instead of makin sharks try to eat Mini Mokes. Absolute rubbish.

#10 ·
i missed it too.
normally i would just download the torrent (and it is very embarrassing..lots of people from overseas download the Australian version :( ), but i must admit..it's kinda sad how they try to copy the original.

5th gear is crappy anyway.
The UK top gear is much better.

Although i do agree..i would rather watch 5th gear than the aussie top gear.

#12 ·
Top Gear UK is one of the MOST ENTERTAINING shows on TV.:thumb:

The Aussie version is crap, from what I have seen.

Cheers,

Steve

#13 ·
2nd EP was TONS better than the original..

Already see they are starting to blend and more natural in my opinion..

And anyone whos calling UK great and AUS bad, have you seen TopGear UK's first season? They couldnt get people to go, no more than like 20 people in the studio..

Alot better than UK's 1st eps and alot better than there own 1st ep, i'll stick with it and I reckon it'll get better :D

#14 · (Edited)
Charlie Cox.... please what a wanker!

Yep the original top gear was average but at least it was original and not a direct copy. To make it worse they wont even make a decision about which car is better than the other.

So, we have a copy program that sits on the fence so they dont offend anyone and arent funny

#17 ·
aussie top gear ....

i couldn't agree more guy's....this show will end up in 20to01 as one of the biggest flops in aussie TV....
The cars suck..the so called tests suck...and they even got the mining trucks wrong....they can load up 300 tonnes....just all wrong wrong wrong...:bang:
Take it off the air and put the real good old top gear back on....at least i don't have to download it from the net....

#21 ·
Show us some aussie originality at least! why would you have an 'aussie' top gear when the show is essentially the same as the uk one (with poor attempts at british humour), with guys that don't even have a racing background! I mean!! how can you have an aussie show reviewing 2 iconic aussie cars/brands and not make a call! at least race the cars properly - not hoon around a track any P plater can do that! At least the UK guys(individually) did so when they did the RS4 vs M3 vs AMG!

I think I kinda decided last night that the show is ok... as long as you accept, its about 3 guys (one blond fabio english sounding aussie, one scrawny arts student, and a cartoonist) doing irresponsibly stupid things in cars that they know nothing about, in an australian backdrop, with no difference to the original Top Gear, then the show is just Spot On! Money well spent SBS!

I agree about the 5th gear comment, Tiff Needle is the best! And that blonde girl, they are both race drivers too! Much better than up himself Clarkson - ever read any of his reviews.. they go on, and on.. with not much info!

#22 ·
I agree about the 5th gear comment, Tiff Needle is the best! And that blonde girl, they are both race drivers too! Much better than up himself Clarkson - ever read any of his reviews.. they go on, and on.. with not much info!
Yet clarksons favourite car is one of the fastest around the ring.

#29 ·
Dave, this show has sooo much potential - especially given where the show is at now! :roll:

Watch it for some light entertainment. For car reviews just use youtube - 5th Gear. Heck for guys using cars irresponsibly use youtube too, you'll get better quality than from this show!

#25 ·
It was very clear from the word go that it would not be anywhere near the standard of the UK version....
Just have a look how they test the cars...that blond dude looked like he needed new pants after his Ford spun out a lil bit.....
To the availability of test cars....who would give them any decent cars to test in the first place....??...any right minded car dealer would refuse and we just don't have the exposure here to warrant a stuffed up car as we only have 2 (3) companies here that make cars.
Over in Europe they have plenty of them...and if a Koenigsegg gets put in the green so what....very good advertising for them...but here....no way.
We are sadly limited to...Holden, Ford, Mitsubishi and ...ahhhh...thats it...and for how many shows would they be able to stretch it out ?

They should put their own show on their "What were they thinking" board...:bang:

#27 ·
Yeh, it was a battle between Ford vs Holden (please, no one start on that :D), they concluded that both cars were similiar and that neither one was better than the other cause they both had their pros and cons bla bla bla

The 'tyre warming' was pretty cool though (you had to have watched it to know what im talking about) :thumb:

Show is on every monday night 7.30pm (They took away the MythBusters time slot!)

#28 ·
Yeh, it was a battle between Ford vs Holden (please, no one start on that :D), they concluded that both cars were similiar and that neither one was better than the other cause they both had their pros and cons bla bla bla

The 'tyre warming' was pretty cool though (you had to have watched it to know what im talking about) :thumb:
everyone knows ford is better anyway..they have the XR6T/F6 which completely kills the V8s.

and yeah, the 'tyre warming' was half decent, but no where near as good as something like this.

#30 ·
Its got heaps of potential and iwll improve, look at the difference in 1st ep to 2nd ep..

Also they're gelling in and getting used to it, I laughed when the stig was standing there and the young guy goes, hes lost for words :p

#34 ·
is Bad.

is like watching an elvis impersonator do a cover.

is real Bad.

Its got heaps of potential and iwll improve, look at the difference in 1st ep to 2nd ep..
the only way it can possibly improve is if you sack all 3 hosts... i vote to replace 'em with

#1 = SKIDD :p

#2 = HUSKY :D

#3 = CHIZZ :eek:

Lock them all in the same studio for an hour... and go blow the $300k per ep budget on beer.

#31 ·
purposely missed ep 2 cause number 1 SUCKED... watched myth busters instead lol.
love the UK version though?

ill watch it from now on though. as it seems like ep 2 was slightly better...

good luck.

#36 ·
OK, I am putting it out there. I only just caught up on the show (both episodes were sitting on the IQ box) last night... and you know what.. I liked it.

OK... before you all flame me....

I think that the "Top Gear" formula works. Why change what works so well? You wouldn't. I think the running of the show, and things they do, etc... very cool. Literally the UK show, with a true Aussie flavour.

The hosts.... DIFFERENT STORY. These guys need to be themselves. I think, once these guys get a few under their belts, and realise they are not Clarkson, Hammond and May "Clones"... the show will hit it's straps. The utes in the open cut mine on Monday night was a great segment I thought.

The potential is definately there. I am certainly not turning it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.