Australian RC Forums banner

Which Stadium Truck / Desert Truck

8K views 57 replies 8 participants last post by  R00K13 
#1 ·
Ok, as life so often does, my goalposts have shifted :(

I was going to get a baja ss, but time, money and other comittments say otherwise.

On the up side, I already have enough for an electric ST. I've always had a soft spot for stadium trucks. I used to have a nitro MT2, but nitro wasn't for me ;)

So, I want to get a electric ST. At the moment the HPI E-Firestorm, Traxxas Slash and Losi Desert truck have all caught my eye and are roughly in the ballpark of price. I'm also looking at going brushless, wether that be a truck with brushless like the E-Firestorm flux I don't knwo, I'll have to weigh up the price etc.

At least this gives me something I can race, not much 1:5 racing down here ;)

So what are proples thoughts and suggestions, and where are the best prices. I suspect from the US will be the cheapest option (who wants to pay more if they can avoid it!!)

#2 · (Edited)
slash has an all metal gearbox from the factory, so it will handle brushless out of the box well.

Thats not to say losi dont make a tough truck though. its build on their XXX-T chassis so you know its good.

The losi is value for money - 2.4ghz radio, alloy shocks, head/tail lights, unique design that you wouldnt have a problem getting permitted to run with other 2wd classes at your local club.

the slash is a more basic design that costs a lot less, comes with everything and is technically a new class so you might have trouble running with 2wds at your club.

the firestorm is just a run of the mill 2wd truck, to be honest theres nothing interesting about it that other companies havent been doing for years.

I reckon the slash or the LDT and throw in a mamba max ESC and motor combo. the USB connectivity makes configuration a breeze and ive never in my life used a more reliable product than mamba stuff.

#4 ·
Yeah, the plan was for a MM to go in, maybe a 2nd hand onethat I know of cheap if it is the right unit, although it has a Feigao 6XL, and I don't know much about them.

As for the E-firestorm, i'm a HPI fan, and a classic ST fan, hence why it's one of the contenders. I've gotta say that i'm leaning towards the losi though despite lovin gthe e-firestorm.

#5 ·
Yeah, the plan was for a MM to go in, maybe a 2nd hand onethat I know of cheap if it is the right unit, although it has a Feigao 6XL, and I don't know much about them.

As for the E-firestorm, i'm a HPI fan, and a classic ST fan, hence why it's one of the contenders. I've gotta say that i'm leaning towards the losi though despite lovin gthe e-firestorm.

Lean harder,:thumb:

#6 ·
Yeah, I keep changing which way I am leaning all of the time at the moment. I've not seen ore read anything to really push me in one direction.

I'm leaning back to the HPI Flux at the moment. It's got a rebadged CC Sidewinder. Are the sidewinder motors the same as the Mamba max ones? If they are I could chuck in a MM for better proformance in theory? although the flux is about $120 more than the regular e-firestorm, but if I can get a cheap MM esc it might be worth it (and I think I can get a 2nd hand one if the bloke still has it).

#10 ·
why get the side winder at all? to me, theres no point unless youre a beginner or on a tight budget. even if you dont want the extra power of the Max ESC you can just dial it out via USB and then you have it later for when you want it... and you WILL want it.

#11 ·
Nightwolf, where did you see a e-firestorm fot $189 us? I've not seen it that low.

Twizm, to be honest, I don't like the rims on the flux, and getting the basic one and a MM 57oo is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I expect taht 5700 would be enough, and that the 7700 would be overkill for the most part.

#16 ·
dont forget the dollar has dropped a bit against the USD so prices wont be quite as good as they have been in the last 2 weeks.

we are at about 87c to the dollar again i think.

Nightwolf, where did you see a e-firestorm fot $189 us? I've not seen it that low.

Twizm, to be honest, I don't like the rims on the flux, and getting the basic one and a MM 57oo is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I expect taht 5700 would be enough, and that the 7700 would be overkill for the most part.
I have the ESC and a hacker motor, but yes, the 5700 ends up being the better option in the long run as you can run 3 cell lipo if the desire arises. the 7700 will be faster on regular cells but for all out power, the 5700 is the best option.

Hell, mines scary to drive on 6cells, but id say thats largely due to the brutal motor.

#13 ·
Nice, actually tower hobbies have them for $199, plus a $20 discount. Surface postage would be $60 us, so under $300 aud (just) all up, best here i've found is about $370 plus postage!

#17 ·
yeah, those numbers were on about 86 cents. Pity I didn't do it a few weeks ago, but it could be worse, from the UK hurts a lot more (about $2.1 to the AUD)

the irony is harris RC have the MM 5700 at a similar price in AUD as most of the US stores have them for USD !!

#25 ·
LOL, yeah, I thought about it, but figured this would more likely fit into a racing class if I can do some racing, whereas the slash is just outside the size regulations of most classes.

#26 ·
Im in the exact same boat here (ruled out rustler and decided I was going to go e-firestorm), but my chances of racing at this point are so slim I think Im going to go with slash. Defintiely a backyard/carpark basher only at this point.

Side note - I noticed that the park about 5 houses down from my house has just had a fresh load of soil piled up in a corner. I need to hurry up and decide on a car to take advantage!

#30 ·
I have an E Firestorm Flux Pheonix76. The only thing i have broken on it is a front suspension arm from cartwheeling it. I am running a 3S 11.1V 2200Mah LiPo in it which gives me 20 - 25mins of runtime. I have not had a drama with it whilst running the LiPo. It is hard to keep the front wheels on the ground, somthing a little extra lead won't fix. I will be taking it with me on the Stockton bash with my Baja.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.