What to clean my RC with?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    R/C Guru

What to clean my RC with?

How Do YOU CLEAN your RC??

Dont be shy.. tell us! Mayb u have an aircompressor u blast the dirt and dust off with..?

Mayb u strip it entirely and soak the whole thing in shellite...?

Mayb you Bathe with it!!??

Most ofUS probably DONT Clean it... .....grass tuffs,and sticks mostly..tis just going to get dirty again!!

Anyones tips on cleaning the Inside of a stripped down motor? Im thinking a soak in shellite or spray with nitro cleaner..... ideas??
    Hpi Savage SS-NS25
    Tamiya Cooper-LRP 11T
    Hpi Savage Blinged

Can You SAY BLING BLING??
    -----------------------------------
    Cut along perforated line
    -----------------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Guru

well i use team orion nitro cleaner for small jobs.... i usually wash it down with a hose, then dry and wd-40 it. OR if im having a complete tear down.... i use the dishwasher
    Modded SH .25 Extended Revo.

I have a detail paintbrush that i get most of the grime off with...
    Stubborn stains get fuel wiped over them,....

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

i use metho and an air compressor.. i never pull my vehicles apart completely just to clean them, because its the easiest way to strip/wear screw holes and parts, and then things dontgo back together as perfectly as they should giving a crap handling car or truck...

however if say, i remove my diff then ill clean around that area a bit more thorough while its apart. if the engine needs to be removed, then ill clean under it..

some things such as turps, kero etc will actually make your plastic melt or at the leastitll get hot,sticky and warp outta shape..

using wd40 actually leaves an oil residue which will attract more dirt on your next outing.

R/C Guru
    i just use wd-40 on parts like uv joints, bps parts, axles ect
    Modded SH .25 Extended Revo.

Air Compressor & Metho, then WD-40 & Heavy Duty Ceramic Grease. Same as Oblivion I never pull it apart unless replacing parts, but I do pull the motor out to clean it every 2nd or 3rd run. Oven cleaner works well when cleaning motors, just spray on & leave for about 5mins then rinse off with hot water then blow off with compressor, then some WD-40. Also works realwell for removing paint.

If car is exceptionally dirty I will take it to work then use the compressor there, big trailer mounted thing that runs jack hammers, I think it 260 or 280psi.
    Did you know if you watch the movie Jaws backwards, its a film about a Shark that keeps throwing up people until someone opens a beach.

i use a steam cleaner

i dont clean it.

ever.

[i][b]Born to Grind, Built to Blast[/b][/i]

R/C Guru
    Nitro clean and a toothbrush. Or metho and the compreeor. Finish with wd40 and a wipe over.
    Im not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

yer

um some strong cleaning liquid say degreser see with my compressor i have a gun to blow air but there is an attachment say a cup that screws on i also have a seperate gun but with this one i fill the screw on jar/bottle/cup with degreser and the pul the electrics out i spray the whole car down with degreser flick the adjustment on the gun and blow it of with air and i then go again i then wipe it down put the electrics back in and go over it and tighten

Havent had to clean the Savvy yet as shes brand spanking new

As for the last MT, when i did clean it, there was enough oil from
    the exhaust all over the car so all i had to do was wipe it down
    and the oil acted as the wd-40 and whatever

oh ok nice job

R/C Guru
    Meh, I usually just air compressor it, If its still dirty who cares...
    <center>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join the Revo-Lution
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

At the very least i blow all the loose dirt and debris off with an air compressor. Otherwise i usually use metho in a spray bottle, spray it over the vehicle then blow it dry with the air compressor. Any stubborn areas, i use a paintbrush (the cheapy ones - bout $2 for 3 nice fat round brushes) and metho.

Like several others, i don't pull it all apart and clean it unless i have broken something, or i want to check diffs, bearings etc. This is only if their action doesn't feel left, or doesn't feel right if you're right handed

Air cleaners i clean after every outing. I will wash it out in warm soapy water, and if i have time, soak it for an hour or so completely imersed in metho. wash it out in soapy water again, then let it dry for as long as possible. Then do the mandatory oiling of the foam.
    Nige69

Traxxas Nitro Rustler 2.5 | Mini Baja | Hyper7 | Mugen MBX5R OS 21 V-Spec | JR-R1 Spektrum | TRex600 Nitro | MiniTitan E325 | DX7

hmm i like the steam cleaner idea that would strip off teh greasy exasut residue off the chassis aswell but how does the nylon like it.. its not as high pressure as a aircompressor so its not gonna blast to hard.. hmm interesting might have to get a few nylon parts and see if they take the heat then buy a steam cleaner/ get mum to chip in/ convince mum that it would be handy for her to have one

WD-40, take out the electronics cover it in WD-40 wipe it off, let it dry, put the electronics back in and off I go

are all u guys doing this with the car in running order? when u spray with hose, is there parts u take off?

R/C Guru
    Take off the radio/servos/engine and spray it
    <center>

Join the Revo-Lution

yer i take out radio box wheels and servos oh and engine

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by foolSp33d

How Do YOU CLEAN your RC??

Dont be shy.. tell us! Mayb u have an aircompressor u blast the dirt and dust off with..?

The 2hp unit needs 240V and is too painful to bring to track.

I tried building a "portable" one out of a 12V tyre pump and a 2L PET bottle. Works ok but not very gutsy, also very noisy.

ARB makes some nice ones with go into your 4WD as a permanent installation, good for offroad air suspension etc. Nice option if you have $500+ to blow.

(hehe pun intended)

Mayb u strip it entirely and soak the whole thing in shellite...?

Shellite in a squirt trigger bottle works well for cleaning at the track.

Nearly as good as aerosol cans of "motor spray".

Mayb you Bathe with it!!??

Yep, still the best way to degrease everything prior to any major fix.

Use dish drops &amp; hot water, careful not to get the electronics wet. (I leave the radiobox cover closed &amp; just be careful; engine's holes are plugged with rags)

Blow the water drops off using airhose then sit in front of fan for few hrs to avoid rusting. (Or I've changed all the hardware to stainless.)

Most ofUS probably DONT Clean it... .....grass tuffs,and sticks mostly..tis just going to get dirty again!!

Only trouble is - can't see any loose screws for preventative medicine.

Anyones tips on cleaning the Inside of a stripped down motor? Im thinking a soak in shellite or spray with nitro cleaner..... ideas??

Don't clean inside the engine AT ALL unless you've got metal bits flying around.

Some of that baked on gunk actually helps compression. If you polish the piston until its bright shiny you'll destroy all your compression.

I use motor spray (aka brake cleaner) if necessary.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast