Australian RC Forums banner

BB guns??

25K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  Brainlessesc2 
#1 ·
Hey, all. My dad went to america last year for a tour around america for 3 weeks. and hes going next year, and i want him to bring me back a BB gun!!:D BUT i only know that as long as your 18 or over you can buy one over the counter (and that they're REALY cheap) but IDK if you can bring them back to AUS in your undercarridge:confused: Can anyone please shed some light on this? because i realy want a BB gun and my dads old enough to buy from america, if you could please post some sites or any info regarding, being allowed to bring BB guns and the like in to AUS.

Cheers.

#3 ·
i brought a BB gun back from france (bought in italy) and i just put it in my main luggage and it was fine, but from america, thats a different story. and you wont be able to send it back via mail either. mabye if you dismantle it? but i dont know if its worth the risk of losing money.

#4 ·
BB guns are actually classed as weapons in australia and are illegal. I think if u have a weapons licence u can have them, but if not, they are illegal and if u are cought in the possesion of 1 u will be punished

#5 ·
you really want to know, legally speaking?

To own/possess a BB gun, you need to hold a permit for a replica gun.

To bring one into the country, you should already have this permit
otherwise customs will probably confiscate it when they scan your luggage.

#7 ·
I've bought a BB pistol back with me in my luggage the last two times I've been to the US. I took the (possibly naive)opinion that they are only a plastic toy so if I got caught they would just confiscate it and that would be no big deal as they only cost $25.

Now that I have them they are great fun for shooting around the house now and again. I use the plastic pellets and they sting a bit and leave a small mark but not too bad.

Would I try to bring in another one? Possibly not :confused:

#8 ·
What zoomer says is correct. It is considered a weapon. You can only bring it in if you have a replica gun / guns license.

In fact, even if you have those license - and do not declare it - could get fined ($10,000+?; you're better off going to some dodgy place in Aus and getting a real gun LOL) / jail. This isn't like sneaking mary-jane onto a school camp. The implications are more stringent if the carrier is an adult - i.e your dad ain't a minor anymore.

Don't even think about posting it to yourself - LOL ;) You'll get a very firm letter from customs/AFP.

but as JBWake proves, you can sometimes sneak things through - too bad for the Bali 9...

#9 ·
Ok, I was going to bring back a BB Gun, as I purchased them with a mate over in Japan whilst on Holiday. We decided to leave them in Japan gave it to the Hotel Porter on our last night. We spent about $100 and had some fun with targets etc.

I wouldn't dare bring it back for fear of reprimand. A big no no

#10 ·
In Thailand you can get heavy machine gun replica BB guns!!!

Makee you feel like you're 10 again running around with a toy guy but this time you can shoot things! LOL

Had a friend which had a pro-BB gun (replica Magnum) from hong kong. Fired ceramic balls, using presurised gas, he had it modified further. Very deadly - would punch a hole through a piece of steak from 10 meters. You can see why the'yre illegal!

Alas, the gas caused the shaft to crack after a while. He also had a weapons license.

#18 ·
In Thailand you can get heavy machine gun replica BB guns!!! Makee you feel like you're 10 again running around with a toy guy but this time you can shoot things! LOL Had a friend which had a pro-BB gun (replica Magnum) from hong kong. Fired ceramic balls, using presurised gas, he had it modified further. Very deadly - would punch a hole through a piece of steak from 10 meters. You can see why the'yre illegal! Alas, the gas caused the shaft to crack after a while. He also had a weapons license.
there's heaps of different firing mechanisms... some use pressure fluon gas
together with a motorised valve & feeder for "machine gun" action.

A lot of these use 540 motors & 7.2V batts... hehehe... you can guess
the rest - what kiddies with RC experience will come up with.

(In asia where i grew up, LHSes sold Airsoft alongside RC stuff :cool: )

The most pointless imho was a BB Grenade... :eek: yeah you spend halfhour
poking BBs into all the little holes, then you chuck it and PRIONG!!!
there's like 1001 BBs flying in all directions. Good waste of BBs.

And if there's one thing I learnt about kiddy ballistics...
don't ever re-use plastic BBs that have been shot or dropped on floor.
They'll be dirt-embedded which will score your barrel & screw up
the rifleing (if there's any), pretty soon the toy is useless.

I think Asia still has the best Airsofts, Japan especially.
The ones from US usually aren't that powerful plus they have red tips.
Imho USians probably just go buy a real gun, why bother with toys?

These days if I want to fire off a few rounds, just go to a rifle range.
Quite a few around (you'd be surprised!) & hire's not very expensive.

BBs just don't have the tinkletinkle of shells hitting the floor. :thumb:

#13 ·
If they find the slightest trace of anything that has to do with weapons (ie bb guns), they will confiscate it, if they find part of it, they are not stupid and will search everywhere else for the rest of it. I do not recommend anyone here attempting to try and bring over bb guns unless they actually know what they are doing and have a license for it, otherwise, forget it, its not worth all the hassle and the chance of getting caught out by customs.

Currently, there is an organization based in queensland known as Airsoft Australia (www.airsoftaustralia.com), and they are aiming to try and bring bb guns and the related sport of airsoft, back into Australia and make it 'legal' again in a sense. I myself would love to see airsoft in australia and i think it would be a very nice sport to participate in (think real life counter strike), but without the support of people, the government would only turn it down again. If you would like too see airsoft in australia and bb guns legal again, show your support and try and help the building community, just don't try and sneak 'em through customs.

#20 ·
HAHAHA LOL a BB grenade, now that was funny!!
But i dont think now that there is any chance of me getting a BB gun home :(
Unless i move to Asia somwhere, and then live there just so i can have a BB gun, oh well a boy can only dream... ;)

#23 ·
hey
its not called bb guns anymore, its called airsoft guns, i own about 6 handguns GBB (GAS BLOW BACK) that means the gun will give you a blowback action, like real gun when u press the trigger, 1 gas sniper back in Asia..

theres no way you can smuggle one into australia without a license..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.