: new raptor 50, what radio and engine

paul2205
08-07-2007, 06:31 PM
hi all, just bought a raptor 50 titan. My local hobby shop sells futaba radio gear and he tells me that that is the way to go and all the top heli pilots use futaba. today i was at my local air feild and i noticed that a lot of people were running jr. I am interested in a 9 ch or higher as i do not want to have to upgrade as i get better at flying. Same with the engine any advice on it would be greatly appreciated. I am not budget orientated but at the same time i do not want to pay too much if it is not neccesary.

hailmick
08-07-2007, 06:48 PM
my mate runs jr gear works fine for him he has raptor 50
his radio cost 600 on special thats all know i just watch him fly

husky
09-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Initially you will prolly be asking for setup help etc around your club. You want to be running the same gear as the guys you will be asking for help. The same goes for which mode you should adopt.https://www.ausrc.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

husky
09-07-2007, 07:41 AM
btw, noticed you are in Melbourne. What club are you joining? If its MRCHC there are both Futaba and JR guys that are very helpful. Mode 2 seems to be most common there also.

nitro-drifter
09-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Also - from all reports, the OS50 HYPER is the go for the R50. ($265 from http://www.hobbynet.com.au/budgethobbies/new_spec.html- but am sure you can get these ordered in from most LHS)

I went with the TT50, as it came with the heli package i got, and am running a JRp2610 radio. Pretty cheap running gear, but it makes it easier for me to justify upgrades after my first decent crash - which i am sure isn't too far away.

Probably helps I haven't tried anything inverted yet.....

trent collins
09-07-2007, 12:33 PM
My preference's:

Basic setup
<UL>
<LI>JR2610 Tx</LI>
<LI>Futaba GY401 Gyro with S9254 tail servo</LI>
<LI>JR DS811 servos</LI>
<LI>OS Hyper Engine</LI>[/list]

If your going to stick with it, go for:
<UL>
<LI>JR 9X Tx</LI>
<LI>Futaba GY601 (or GY611) Gyro with whatever tail servo they come with.</LI>
<LI>Futaba S9252 servo's</LI>
<LI>OS Hyper Engine</LI>[/list]

As the other guys said, get the gear that your local guys run. No point getting the top Futaba radio if everyone at the club has JR, they wont be able to help you (well not as much anyway).

The JR 9X V3 comes out next month, it is 2.4Ghz synth so might be worth waiting for if you like synth. Lots of heli guys using 2.4Ghz now, no issues with interference.

A few new govenors on the market today, you cant go wrong with a Futaba 401/601/611. I believe the latest JR gyro (770T or something) is finally something descent from JR, dont bother with their other offerings. Also a new one from logitec which is getting good reviews, might be worth looking at as well.

Govenor wise there is a few to chose from (if you want one). I have the Futaba GV1 but have also had the TJPro before. They all do the same job, I like the GV1 for its setup ease (doesnt require a seperate tacho, just set the rpm's in the unit).

trent collins
09-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Oh, engine wise with the TT, just use it till its stuffed. They work perfectly well, use less fuel that the OS and also a little less power.

For learning, better fuel economy and less power is fine. You can 3D as hard as you like on the TT and I'd say you will wear the bearings out before you outgrow it. So keep it till its finished then get the OS coupled with either a Muscle Pipe or a Hatorri Pipe.

r2160
09-07-2007, 02:17 PM
The other alternative for a radio is a Futaba 9C. These are an excellent value radio with features that you wont grow out of.

Glenn

paul2205
10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
thanx for the help. I will be going back down to the club on sunday and have a talk to a few of the heli guys and see what radio gear they are using, as you say the more they know about my gear the easier it will be to get help. Been twice to the club now and still yet to have met any heli pilots due to the wind

AUSRC
11-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Been twice to the club now and still yet to have met any heli pilots due to the wind

Wow, Heli pilots in Melbourne must be soft... Wind doesn't stop the "Queenslanders". Actually wind is good, it sends all of the plankers home....

paul2205
11-07-2007, 09:08 PM
i live pretty much smack bang in the middle of weterport and southern clubs. So far have only been down to to the southern clubg but yet to run into a heli pilot. I chave a little venom that i bought and cant stop flying. Should be a warning at shop that rc helicopters are addictive. Cant wait to get the raptor going.