Australian RC Forums banner

ok, i want to buy a boat

11K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  Big boyz toyz 
#1 ·
hey, im new to the whole rc/boat scene..so..what is a good, cheap(not crap, but beginner budget freindly) boat to start off with?
any helps appreciated.
btw im thinking electric, but a low-power nitro would be OK..

chizz.

Edited by: da_msta_chizz

#2 ·
Chizz,

If you want something a bit bigger, there's one on off the Newcastle, NSW, coast that you may get cheap!!

Is 40,000 tonnes too big?

Cheers,

Steve

#4 ·
nahh, post is only $160,000AUD, ill just pick it up anywase, im only like 20mins drive away from it, dont know if it'd be fast enough for me though..maybe something with a bit more sting...

#5 ·
da_msta_chizz said:
hey, im new to the whole rc/boat scene..so..what is a good, cheap(not crap, but beginner budget freindly) boat to start off with?
any helps appreciated.
btw im thinking electric, but a low-power nitro would be OK..

chizz.

Depends if you want to race or not.

You should take a trip out to the Regatta Centre in Sydney or drive up the F3 to Maitland and have a look at what guys are running and if you're lucky there may be a second hand boat or two available.

Heres a couple of links to start with

www.ampba.asn.au/forum

www.hvmmc.com

clubs.intlwaters.com/mbcnsw

#10 ·
I am also looking at electric boats, what did you end up getting (if anything) chizz? My LHS has the traxxas ones like the blast etc so maybe once of those? I have also been checking out the proboat site. im guessing that as soon as I get used to it I will want some brushless power, so upgradability is a must.

I will be buying two or three to race around my oldies dam and fairly flat ocean when we go on holidays :)

#11 ·
#13 ·
do ya fry these things much i mean when they get wet

#18 · (Edited)

With Hatch cover tape over the join between the hatch and hull, very little if any water gets in even if you capsize your boat.
The only water that will get in comes through the prop shaft tube, which is minimal. Outboards are a different story.

Click on the sponsors site and have a look at whats available in boats.
The "SuperVee 27" looks to be a good boat, although the cost has gone sky high.

Whatever boat you get, you get what you pay for. Expect to pay $400 and up for a fast electric boat ready to run. You will want to amp it up soon after and that's more cost.

Look for an RC boat club close to you and go visit them, you will be welcomed and you will quickly learn that boat users love to talk about their boats.:thumb:

Hope this helps,
Brett.

#19 ·
"Prince" rcbt1111 or "Aquacraft" Supervee27

Can't decide!

Any thoughts?

Regards, Brett.

#20 · (Edited)
The proboat stuff is pretty popular for getting started but I think sooner or later your reach the limits of the hull. Still probably a great beginners boat and you could always sell it eventually if you were after something better. There are some big threads on RC Universe talking about all the mods. You also see a lot of really unbalanced boats, yes the fronts lifting out of the water, no it's not because it's going fast.

Personally I'd get a smaller higher quality hull which would work out at a similar price and see how you go. A lot probably depends on where you plan to run it, the smaller boats obviously don't handle rough water as well as the bigger ones.

Like the others said, you get what you pay for, ~400+ RTR will get you something decent to see how you like things.

EDIT - I forgot to say, check out the videos on youtube, it'll give you a good idea of what different boats are capable of, whatever you do don't by no name crap on ebay...

The Aqua craft super vee is also a good started boat and I didn't realise it does have a fibreglass hull! Kyosho have one or two nicer models, although they won't be competitive at the top end they make up for it with nice semi-scale/scale looks.

Check out these two videos, one shows top speed, one shows rough water running:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-qHUCQPdv3c
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=DhbT7n0rMMo&feature=related

#27 ·
Hey all,

I'm a noob all over again! I just picked up a near new Aquacraft Supervee 27 brushless (my first boat), stock except for upgraded prop (and maybe battery holders?). I am wondering if I could run a nice even layer of silicone sealant around the lip of the main hatch seal then let it set to form a better seal? I have already ripped out the stock radio gear and will install a Spektrum or Nomadio Rx (so shouldn't need a protruding aerial), I also have spare quality servos if that would be advisable? I have heaps of good 1/10 NiMh and LiPo packs that are paired to fit as well as my 5s 4000mAh packs from my truggy (if I can figure out how to squeeze them in) for nutzo run time + a bit of extra speed in parallel..

Any other tips on this hull/setup??

#29 ·
I wouldn't use silicone sealant just use hatch tape.

A better quality servo will make it turn quicker.

If you are using Lipo the standard ESC doesn't have a cutoff so you should run one.

I am waiting for one and some other goodies to come from USA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.