Australian RC Forums banner

Lipos - rejuvenating

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  urin8 
#1 ·
Gidday all,

I purchased a 2 cell 7.4v lipo less than 3 months ago - from a reputable supplier in the States.

It has always been charged properly in conjunction with an Astro Blinky balancer.

Although nearly 3 months old, I would be lucky to have charged it 20 times. Just yesterday, with a full charge and normal heli flight training, I notice that the pack emptied itself in a matter of 5 minutes compared to the 12 minutes or so that I have been getting.

I have written to the supplier to ask what he thinks as I would have thought it would last longer than it has, but pending a response, was wondering if there is any special way to rejuvinate the cells.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
No suggestions mate - but my Venom 7.2V (8.4v max) i was using on my NRII died within 3 months. Same deal - just lost flight time.

However - with the new balancer, I haven't had a problem. I did find it very strange you charged through the normal connection and had the balancer only on the deans plugs.

The set up i use puts charge via balancer, then deans plug to batt- could the reason for your LIPO death be the charge went to batt - then the balancer evened it all up??? I just found it strange the charge didn't go through the balancer....

Could be wrong - but from charging mine via the normal plug and having it die - then doing it via the balancer and not a prob - sounds v similar.

#3 ·
Valid points mate, but I researched the Astro Blinky comprehensively before purchase, and it rated very highly. It can actually balance when the charger is not connected and checks the cell quality before it starts to do its stuff.

Hopefully, the vendor may have some clues or offer me a replacement. For the time being, it's back to the standard packs so I can get the Titan in the air.

So mate, beautiful day outside - why aren't you home for lunch flying the rappy!

For our interstate members who don't follow, it's bucketing down rain here in Sydney with very strong winds.

Cheers,

Steve

#4 ·
Actually just heard - they are predicting one of the worst storms in Syd in the last 10 yrs over the next 48 hrs.

Might have to go fly a kite.....

Temperature: 14.3°C
Dew Point: 11.5°C
Relative Humidity: 83%
Wind Speed: 59.3km/h
Wind Gusts: 81.5km/h
Wind Direction: N
Pressure: 1009.8hPa
Rain Since 9AM: 4.8mm

That is without it even starting yet... predicting 100mm in our water catchment areas - which is, of course where we get the least rain... joy.Edited by: nitro-drifter

#6 ·
Thanks for that Paul,

No sign of damage to your electronics, given this is an 11.1v pack?

Cheers mate,

Steve

#7 ·
Paul - what tail motor are you running on yours?

I ran an 11.1v on the NRII - and it absolutely ripped, but the tail motor kept burning out (that was the original tail motor).

Did you run fuses? I think i remember that from the NRII thread. Those rchobby 3S packs are only $35 too!!!!Edited by: nitro-drifter

#8 ·
electronics are holding up just fine with the higher voltage.
i never got around to fitting the fuses either, so if it was gonna blow i think it would have by now.
yep their $35 + postage, seem to be a decent battery to me. mine has survived some humongous crashes too. while i try not to over discharge it, i've flown it till it drops several time with no apparent ill effect.
i'm running the 180 motor from the walker 5-4, i have had it in for ages and ages and still flies fine with heaps of power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.