Australian RC Forums banner

TAMIYA DARK IMPACT:New to RCs need advice

5K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  miker 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I want to get into RC cars and have decided i want a Dark Impact by Tamiya as they seem to be pretty good, I am 17 and my mum seems to think it is a waste of money etc. so sort of putting me off it so just looking here for some encouragment etc? Anyone else had annoying parents that thought a RC car is a waste of money? it sort of bursts your bubble coming from them.

Anyway.

I have found these two on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TAMIYA-DARK-...6548211QQihZ015QQcategoryZ44022QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44022&item=6065681822

-Which one is better or can i get it around the same price in retail stores?

-The first link comes with extra's are they good extra's or not good quality?

-What is an ESC and if so what is the best ESC to get for the Dark impact?

-Is it hard to build a RC car as this will be my first time? What tools do i need? is it easy to wreck my car? etc advice needed on building etc.

-Is this a good quality car and good car as this will be my first RC car?

-Are there any shops in Sydney that sell stuff for around the same price as i would prefer to buy locally?

-Are there any offroad tracks or clubs in Sydney? If so where are they?

-The car doesnt come with paint, does anyone know if the car comes in black? i want to make it look how it does in the picture so will i need paint? and does it come with decals?

-if i need paint how much does it cost? and which is the best?

Thanks alot
I am making this post to find out info and also to encourage me as my mum has really burst my bubble with her crazy rant about how RC car is a waste of money.

Thanks again guys.

Edited by: kuruptz

See less See more
#2 ·
Mate from this day onwards my parents always tell me what a waste of money, but you know what i do i always tell them how much i have spent on it and they just get shocked and dont say anything.

Dont worry about what your mum says go with what you think. I got savages, buggys planes and iam still going.

Ok now the car:

By me looking at that i can already see the shock towers snapping of(shock towers are where the shock attatchers to up the top).

ESC stands for an electronic speed control, it depends what motor your going to put in it, 14,13,12 turn. LRP is a good brand for an ESC.

This truck isnt really for race work, ill more say back yard stuff.

Ill give you a better write up when i can, dont have time now but this will do for tonight.

#3 ·
I would advise the noob to look at a different buggy/car as a starting pack.There are very simple & cheap units available that are very good to learn on and still capable of good speed and endurance when you are ready to handle it. I know this probably has sounded condesending already, that is really not my aim, but if you don't know anything about RC I think a more simple, direct shaft-drive type system might be more appropriate to learn on/with.

The Dark Impact looks like a great product, I wanted one myself, but I just think it would be wiser to start RC with something that has a more simple layout.

#4 ·
I am open to suggestions if this car isnt suitable guys.

I am wondering why it isnt suitable?

Do RC cars come with engines these days or do i need to buy one seperate?

I Look forward to a more detailed post agressive1 when you have time

Remember all the other questions about tracks in sydney and shops/price etc guys

#5 ·
kuruptz i know exactly what your talking about im so lucky i bought a car... cause all i heard was my parents saying its a waste... i never tell them if something happens to my car cause theyll get the sh*ts...doesnt stop mme spending money on it tho

#6 ·
My parents hated my first savage, but then they realised how much I was
learning from it and how i was meeting people and getting outdoors
more, and they can see i enjoy it so they dont care.

well, they care that i take up half the garage with all my crap, but thats no biggy.

#7 ·
most rcs come with engines thses days unless you buy a pro kit... e.g the version up from a basic car... e.g if there was a tamiya dark impact pro it wouldnt come with an engine..

it is also better to buy the car from a local hobby shop (LHS) so if it has troubles you can blow up at em..

tamiya paint is the best in my opinion which is around $10-11

- you will need an allen key set, glow wrench, screwdriver set, small nose pliers, scissors, super glue(all i can think of now) it isnt hard to build the car just follow the instructions carefully and its all too easy...

where in sydney do u live? Edited by: roudy

#8 ·
Roudy and where your parents right?

Did you seriously consider maybe it could be a waste like they say because i have, but i still want to get one because how else will i know if i like it.

I've always wanted a RC car but its hard with no support from your parents.

Keep the helpful replies coming guys still many unanswered questions

#9 ·
i had wanted an RC car for years ... in my opinion its worth it... i only got mine bout3 months but i have learnt so much from it (i want to become a mechanical engineeer - and this is good help to understand motors and stuff) ... i crashed it really bad about 2 months ago and i was thinking it was a waste and my parents were right but i realised that i love fixing it as much as driving.... as an example my mate bought a 1/8 buggy and sold it in 2 weeks and never looked back i suppose you have to give it a try cause u may really like it

i have an onroad so i like the speed and its more like a real car which is wat i prefer..unfortunately no dirt but it is still great fun making a course..

hey just realised you are thinking of buying an electric... i think you shud go for a nitro much more fun IMO..

wher in sydney u live?? i live in maroubra which has 2 hobby shops which are 10m apart and theres hobbyco in the city and RC hobbies in parramattaEdited by: roudy

#14 ·
get a nitro buggy!!!!!!!! u will get over the electric oneswhich go like 50km (if ur lucky)... u will get over it (BTW dark impact buggy is way better) NITRO!!!is the way to go, electrics are mainly good for drifting cars (onroads).......... this is just my opinion no offence to anyoneEdited by: roudy

#15 ·
There's nothing wrong with electric cars. I guess it depends on how mechanically inclined you are. If you don't mind tuning and the after run maintenance then you should maybe consider it. But you sound like a total noob, so IMO you should consider electric. BTW you don't need a glow plug wrench to build an electric car
. Looking at the first auction, the radio gear is extremely basic and the battery pack is as well. The charger looks ok to start with. The esc included is fine and it has reverse lockout and should handle down to 21turns i think which is more than appropriate with the kit included 540. The 2nd one required radio, esc, etc. Which would allow better beginner components. Hobbyshops don't sell around the same price as ebay as its not viable and there are more costs to consider. A hobby shop in Brisbane sells the basic Dark Impact for $299 sans radio gear, batt, esc. If you have an interest in racing out the local clubs to see what classes there are. The Traxxas Bandit is a top beginner car! Most likely more tougher and can be converted to a Rustler with a few parts. While it doesn't have an esc, the mechanical one will be fine to start with while you get a better understanding of rc cars.

I hope this helps.

#17 ·
Personally i'd look elsewhere. I went for a Tamiya as my first car, and it was great in that capacity, but it doesnt take long to outgrow what the cars have to offer.

Would look at a Traxxas Rustler or Bandit... or a Losi XXX buggy/truck or an associated B4 buggy/ T4truck.

High end 4wd buggy prob not recommended for a novice imo.

Cost a bit more, but once you learn the ropes - you will see why (not going to explain here, it takes months and months of reading, experimenting and playing).

2nd hand is a great way to get started, as you may be able to find someone selling the buggy with batteries and charger etc.

#18 ·
mshagg said:
2nd hand is a great way to get started, as you may be able to find someone selling the buggy with batteries and charger etc.

It cant be a great way to get into the hobby for cheaper than normal, however you can also be buying a whole lot of stress and frustration. Id be very cautious buying 2nd hand gear, and if youre going to, check it out in person (running) andtake someone along who knows RC so they can make sure its running ok and inspect it for damage or wear on important parts.

You may grab a bargain, you may also grab a big POS that will turn you off the hobby forever.

#19 ·
This is what i would do, i would completely forget about this car and go for the Duratrax Evader or the Team Losi XXX-T.

They both come RTR and are an absolute beauty of a price its well woth the money.

Here is 2 links of each of the truck, you can also buy spares for this hobby shop.

Duratrax Evader:

http://www.rchobbies.com.au/store/p...=5460&osCsid=dad6552dec64d7a0fa3fbd36f590ead2

Team Losi:

http://www.rchobbies.com.au/store/p...10532&osCsid=dad6552dec64d7a0fa3fbd36f590ead2

If i was going to buy these cars i would go for the Team Losi, more durable, better motor and better radio gear, also Team Losi is a great brand.

#21 ·
twizm said:
It cant be a great way to get into the hobby for cheaper than normal, however you can also be buying a whole lot of stress and frustration. Id be very cautious buying 2nd hand gear, and if youre going to, check it out in person (running) andtake someone along who knows RC so they can make sure its running ok and inspect it for damage or wear on important parts.

You may grab a bargain, you may also grab a big POS that will turn you off the hobby forever.

Lol, good save. And great advice!!!!

#22 ·
I really like the look of that Team Losi car and seems to be really good and fast according to sites i have read.

Now to find it somewhere under 400.

found it on ebay for $350+ $15 postage with remote.

Will it perform well offroad and still go fast etc? Is it a strong build etc?

#25 ·
I would buy it from Rc Hobbies, that wa sthe link that i sent you, you also need a battery and a charger so your looking at about $500 all up.

Owww and they do free postage when you buy a car/truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.