Australian RC Forums banner

Work In Progress (gas 48" deep v)

9K views 60 replies 22 participants last post by  stevo1957 
#1 ·
Hey all, just though id post some pics of my project at the moment I'm actually making this for school. Its a 48" long marine ply hull with a mc culloch 2818 28CC engine aka PRO MAC. At this stage I'm up to mounting all the hardware and radio gear before i can finish the deck and paint it, then ill be making all the water cooling fittings for her. It will be white with a decal i made up. It will also have a wrap around perspex windscreen to keep everything away from the carburetter. I am Still waiting on my hardware from new Zealand.
If your thinking about building your own boat trust me its a sh*t load of hard work and there are many setbacks, the glue in the front end gave way on me and split so off with the deck and re glued and braced the front nose and filled it up with glue, now its tough as. BTW the pink stuff is automotive putty to fill gaps and keep everything flowing, i haven't sanded it back yet this will all be done before paint. The front hatch about the fuel tank will be perspex with MAC 2818 sprayed on it. In the end it will not be see-through. Its pretty ugly just looking at a fuel tank
i chose perspex cause its what i had plus i broke the original hatch
. Ive had allot of setbacks and issues to deal with in the making of this boat. But in the end it will pay off !!! Enjoy, there is allot of work yet to be done.

PICS:

See less See more
#3 ·
well as much as i wish to think that Ive seen allot better home built boats, but for a school project and an unexperienced RC'er i think its a pretty good effort. After i get sick of this one I'm thinking of buying a mold for fiberglassing and running a pocket-bike or chainsaw engine. But that will be in a long long time. And yeah most people buy there boats they don't actually make them, its cheaper and much funner and you learn more when you build stuff. (i cheated, i used plans for the hull - if anyone is interested in some plans send my your email in a PM and ill send you all the plans Ive got "cats, riggers, deep v, speeders and yes some are electrics) cheers

#5 ·
I gotta agree with Skidd. It's nice to see some real handcraft in R/C again.

I used to build and fly sailplanes, but any small error while flying can quickly turn into heartache. Bashing offroad R/C is much less stressful.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Cache Ya,
Craig.

#9 ·
yeah NZ sent me the wrong bearings but have the new ones on there way !! woohoo free bearings that are usless to me, ill put em on ebay later on. Update from today i got my spare engine parts from a mate and have started to modify the exhaust - take out the baffle weld up original hole drill two biggens at the top and weld two pipes on the top. Will open it up allot more and will sound v loud !!! Took flyweel of engine to put on the lathe ready to banance and take down the fins. Then started cutting the cyclinder head fins to get ready for the water jacket. YAY watercooling !!! Ill keep you posted

#11 ·
Is that a year 12 project? Great to see some DIY rc taking place.<!--
var SymRealonLoad;
var SymRealonUnload;

function SymonUnload

{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymRealOnUnload != null)
SymRealOnUnload
;
}

function SymOnLoad

{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad
;
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

#14 ·
hey, ive got some updated progress pictures. I made the front hatch and have cut the rest of the deck to size and have started designing a windscreen for the boat. It will be a wrap around perspex painted black with transperent OCTURA words down the side. I might make the edge flames or somthing (asin cutting the edge) and atm im mounting all the hardware and have no pictures of yet. And over the weekend i made up the carburetta asembly and a carby guard so stop that water getting in. The front will just miss the windscreen so it will work like a charm. no worries now onto pics:

Edited by: milne

#16 ·
in the top pic is that the bottom<!--
var SymRealonLoad;
var SymRealonUnload;

function SymonUnload

{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymRealOnUnload != null)
SymRealOnUnload
;
}

function SymOnLoad

{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad
;
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

#21 ·
progress has been alittle slow lately due to school asignments, but i manages to get this done over the weekend. My radio box prety much all setup !!! And i managed to drill the rudder push rod in the wrong spot but thats ok, its now patched up and u would never know it was there
I got proper push rod boots now but they seem to be cheap and sh*tty so im gona make up some kind of adapter than actualy holds them on the boat. And ive got the sruffing tube in now (glued) I just want a solid day off school
to get it all sweet as, ill hookup the steering tomoorow. But mabey somone can help me with somthing im having a hard time with my radio gear. Turn tx and rx on and then after around 15 seconds the failsafe cuts in and over rides the system like WTF i dont think its the batterys cause they were freshly charged. I was wondering if there might be somthing wrong, becasue i dont no allot about radio gear. If u can help me that would be soo awsome

#25 ·
Ive fixed the RADIO problem, and ive got some more pics of the radio gear fully setup and in the pool for testing !!!
she floats sick as
so sinking sorry guys ! Ive plummed in all the watercooling lines. Fixed a few problems and repainted the engine bay and engine mount. And now for a lame joke, its fuel proof
(gun to head lol) Im taking it back to school for a while to get it finished because my teacher was getting sh*tty at me. So ill be delayed in getting pictures, the next time i post pics will be most likely before paint. There are a few guys out there who have emailed me about building one so its time for you to post your pics, love to see how ur gassers are comming !!!

In the pool !

Video of Rudder in the Pool ! (3.10mb)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/milne/?action=view&current=boat_5_august.flv

Its realy hard to video cam and use a Control at the same time

Thanks till next time,
milneEdited by: milne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.