Australian RC Forums banner

mod ->locking up spider gears in diff

9K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  little_drifter 
#1 ·
has anyone here modified the diffs to be locked by locking up the spider gears? This will make all the wheels turn at the same rate regardless of operation.

#2 ·
Hey there,

apparently it's just a matter of putting some really thick silicone oil in the diffs. I say apparantley because I haven't done it yet, but I've got to source some oil & do it.

there's different weight of oils and the recommendation seems to be something like 7k/10k/3k or 5k/7k/grease for front/centre/rear diffs.

If you lock up all 3 diffs then it would be a real b****** on any surface, you'll need some play to let you get around corners etc.

If anyone knows of a good source for the oils required, let me know. I'm really tight on the wallet strings, so the cheaper the beter!

Cheers, oggy.

p.s. I've got a Rex-x too! Have you got any pics of yours to share ? Mine are on my website in my signiature.

#3 ·
The savage only has front and rear diffs. You can lock them by putting in a spool, or a crude cheap option fill the diff case with rocks or epoxy
, not recommended. You can get a spool for around $10US but dont use it on road.

#13 ·
Ogier said:
Next question,

where can I get it from that is cheaper than any Hobby Store?

Oggy

LOL... I guess that depends on how many litres you want to buy!

Any engineering supplies store should stock what you're looking for but probably not in unit sizes that suit what you want to do with it.

#14 ·
check out monstertruck parts australia

they sell stuff called lock snot and , well it speaks for itself. You
can use blue tack or do what I did and filled the diff cup up with
selleys kneed it

It is crude but in my situation the diff cup and gears were well and
truly stuffed so making a locker got me back on the road b4 the weekend
and it was a very cheap soloution .

Edited by: Dan

#16 ·
advantage is that all wheels turn equal so regardless of situation all 4 wheels will have power applied to them.

with open diffs, when one wheel cocks off the ground, all the power is transfered to this wheel and a loss of drive is the result.

When there locked you can have 2 wheels come off the ground in rugged terrain and you can still often drive through/out of it. If there not locked then you got no hope because when the wheels come off the ground, drive at the tyres on the ground is lost.

#17 ·
where can you buy 300,000wt diff oil from and how much.

my local hobby shops only have a maximum weight of 85wt (shock oil)

if you want a good diff oil but not a locker. i know of ppl using car engine oil like magnitec.

this guy runs a 1/10th cen on road. powered by a hyper 7 .21 8 port motor.

he has not blown one diff yet using magnitec.

l8tr

#18 ·
MRC have the 300k associated oil. Don't ya Mark

It's great stuff. Not quite a locker but almost there. My MTA4 is a
bastard on dirt now with the 300k in the rear and 100k in the front.
Handles like a champ. When you want to turn just power on!

#19 ·
Star Guitar said:
I have 7,000 and 10, 000 Wt diff oil in my savage, it will NOT lock up the diffs. Associated makes a 300, 000 Wt diff oil, that will lock them up. Otherwise get the maximiser diff locker thing.

I run Associated 300k and it is no where near locked. I have been running Dans locker in rear. It's hella fun but a bitch to get to do a U-turn.

#22 ·
Well I haven't got both diffs locked and wouldn't want to as you would have trouble turning around in a street. I have used it on the street in a straight runs but haven't given it any throttle while turning on the road as it will either not make the U-turn or will roll.

They are mighty fun on the dirt (just rear locked). I have had about 10 tanks with rear locked and no doggie probs.

#26 ·
Not trying to seem rude, but how does the last post being 8 years ago have anything to do with my question?
I am new to the group and the rc world, and just thought id simply ask a question that hopefully others have experience in...its intopic of this thread so it seemed the go...

My diff has a screw that i can engage into the gears thus locking the diff, but there doesnt seem to be much length of the screw left once engaged all the way...
is there a universal diff lock or spool insert i can purchase??

#27 ·
Let me just say Hi and welcome to the forums man first, HEHE dont sweat it man, being a rookie, you made a rookie mistake :) general forum convention goes kind of like if it is more than 12 months old, post a new thread, if you have a question about something simular to an old thread, post a new thread. When in doubt, post a new thread. When you post a new thread post a picture in the thread because Little Drifter has OCD for pictures.

What is the brand and model of the car you are attempting to lock the diff in? and we will see if we can get you pointed in the right direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.