: need help TMaxx stuck in neutral??

Mercury Madness
15-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi just wondering if anyone can help me out, was using my T Maxx at a bmx track was having fun got stuck, so put it into reverse braked to go inot forward but nothing happend now wont go into forward or reverse any ideas as what to do. Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers

Oblivion
15-01-2006, 04:34 PM
take the tranny apart and check your shift fork + surrounding gears, it could even be that you've sheared a primary gear drive pin, which allows the shaft to spin within the gear, causing a loss of all drive.

Mercury Madness
15-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh - I am a newbie to this and the truckis only new andhas only been driven a few times and I havnt been speeding when changing gears always braked b4 changing fwd to rev, so this maybe sumthing I may have to take back to the shop??? No quiick easy way for me to repair or get goin lol oh well, thanks for your help appreciate it.

Oblivion
15-01-2006, 07:41 PM
check the servo linkage that controls forward/reverse. sometimes it gets stuck in the middle if not quite set properly and it gives a false neutral.

you could try pushing or pulling on the shaft where it exists the tranny to try get a gear back.

how long have you had the truck?Edited by: Oblivion

Mercury Madness
16-01-2006, 06:08 AM
Hi Oblivion thanks for your help, the truck is about a month old or just less, the servo linkage seems to operate as far as I can tell, have tried pushing and pulling the shaft as I read that in the book but it didn't seem to go back into gear as i would start the truck and it would still not move..

nitrowarrior
16-01-2006, 08:11 AM
honestly theb st thing is to take out the revers and get a forwarnd only conversion then it will never get stuck

Oblivion
16-01-2006, 09:10 AM
honestly theb st thing is to take out the revers and get a forwarnd only conversion then it will never get stuck

that is true, an FOC will do several things: improve transmission reliability (less moving parts) - increased forward acceleration (not free spinning the reverse gears while going forward) and it makes working on your tranny a whole stack easier (because its more basic to understand without reverse)

Mercury Madness
16-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your help guys this may be the way I have to go.

Cheers

Oblivion
16-01-2006, 10:09 AM
it could even be that you've sheared a primary gear drive pin, which allows the shaft to spin within the gear, causing a loss of all drive.

to elaborate further on what i mean:

sometimes # 4995 forward/reverse primary gears (pic below) snaps the pin which locks it to the shaft.

the two gears lock together with the star shape (as seen in the link provided), but then the reverse primary is the only one that gets locked to the shaft with thesteel drive pin. if its pin breaks, the main shaft spins within BOTH gears, causing total loss of drive.

i pretty much glue'd my pin in for added strength by over-use of threadlock https://www.ausrc.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

usually it only happens if your slipper clutch is too tight as shocks from landing get tranferred directly into your tranny and thats the weakest link in there.

Your gears will usually be fine, its only the pin that breaks. However since you need to buy new gears just to get the pin, your best bet is fit the new gears with the new pin anyway.

#4995 F/R primary gears (http://mrcmodelcarparts.com/front.asp?pid=27&ProductID=TRA4995)@ MRC in CanberraEdited by: Oblivion

Mercury Madness
16-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Oblivion you the man - thanks for all this info yeah by the sounds of this and what you have wrote i did do a bit og a big jump and it wasn't too long after that when all drive was lost, now my next question sorry to be a pain, as i am only a newbie to this, would this be something I could attempt or take it to a shop.

CheersEdited by: Mercury Madness

Oblivion
16-01-2006, 01:03 PM
by all means i recomend you attempt it yourself. then you can learn whats wrong and fix any future tranny probs yourself. removing it the first time is always the most daunting https://www.ausrc.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

its a big job, but if you want help just let me know and ill talk ya thru it.

Mercury Madness
16-01-2006, 01:31 PM
by all means i recomend you attempt it yourself. then you can learn whats wrong and fix any future tranny probs yourself. removing it the first time is always the most daunting https://www.ausrc.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

its a big job, but if you want help just let me know and ill talk ya thru it.

Yeah thanks for that, I will attempt it like you said got to start learning so I can fix it in the future, I most prob will require your expertise throughout the course of doing this task so you will most likely be hearing from me.

Cheers

Oblivion
16-01-2006, 02:08 PM
remove the 8 screws under the chassis hold it to the chassis braces. be gentle when re-fitting those later, if you over tighten them it strips the plastic in the tranny and makes the trans loose, which kills spur gears real quick.

next to your brake disc/pads is a blue brake pole. loosen the grubscrew ontop (only 1/2 turn) and the eyelet should slide out.

i dont think you will need to remove the engine or fueltank.

If you cant disconnect the trans shafts (sliders) you can undo the grubscrews on the rear trans output yoke and slide the two shafts further into each other.. this will disconnect the output yoke from the trans shaft