: Back into Large Scale, no clue where to from here?

fastbaja5b
10-07-2013, 12:16 PM
(Have also posted this on another forum but keen for input)

As I have just moved to a country property I am keen to get a larger rc to bash about with, I traded for a Baja last week (bye bye F350 highlift) which from what I have been told has the following:

senad engine is a zen g290 which has been +2mm stroked and ported head and cases by Senad , with lightened flywheel and 813 carb , this thing screams!

upgrades list...
FLM driveshafts
rpm arms
darksoul roofscoop
outlaw rc engine brace
outlaw rc front under chassis brace
hostile hubs
vertigo rear axle extenders
turtle racing front and rear chassis braces
turtle racing front and rear shocktower braces
golden horizon transmission case
SS diff 60k oil
phatdad rear shock shafts v2 6mm
worx front and rear bumpers
golden horizon front alloy brace ( bolts to the Y plate )
hostile grey axle boots
craftwerks racing side chassis braces
team chase rear shocktowers
powerslide racing 5000 mah rx pack
alloy sparkplug protector ( so you can remove the plug without removing it)
2 stage air filter setup , way better then stock
813 carby
senad ported g290 , with +2mm crank making it a 30.5 , lightened flywheel , screams..
bad horsie shock covers
phatdad fancover brace
hostile racing rims
hostile racing v2 min mx front tires
rovan mx rear tires
silverback HD beadlocks
vertigo clutch carrier
vertigi bolt and nut pinion setup
hostile spur , 18/56 ratio
forget which brand , disc brake , its thick heavy and doesnt rattle like stock and is way better.. they dont make them anymore

The person I got it off said he'd replaced all bearings and done 2 tanks since. I fired it up, seems fine. Can't seem to find any id no's on the Engine to verify it is what is said, but have only removed pull starter so far. Pipe looks like a rear dom but may be a cheapy knock off (not sure how to tell pics attached) The motor has no top cover, an rcmk ignition lead and is a 2 bolt engine. No idea how to verify Carby type / brand etc either? I have confirmed from the radio box and gear cover that it is a HPI Baja and not a clone.

Buuut I want to go the Five-T path (had 3 Baja's before, time for something new)

So am I best off going the RTR and playing it safe or should I get the roller, take out this motor, HS5745MG Servo and transplant, knowing I will also need to foot some $ for a muffler, another servo and battery? I have an Airtronics M12 radio with Telem RX to use.

I intend to part out the Baja, not sure what is worth what, a bit wary about forum sales since someone on ozlargescale bagged me out royal over a cracked Fan cover a few yrs back, and it still comes up near the top when a google search is done on my name, and it has cost me a job opportunity before so sort of not keen to revisit that.

Buying has to be done using Paypal (joint account, if I paid cash, the mrs would see and KABOOM!)

Budget $1400-$1500ish plus whatever this Baja gets me and what I can get for a 1/10 RTR Summit.

Input appreciated :)

Any input / assistance ?

RatsacK
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Someone on these forums ratted you out? Or was that copy and paste and meant for another forum?

fastbaja5b
10-07-2013, 12:30 PM
whoops, fixed!

fastbaja5b
10-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Would really appreciate if someone could take the time to offer an insight.

Seano
10-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Mate you will not find any markings on the engine indicating that it's a Senad engine. There have been a few sold lately same sort of specs. The car would be worth $1000 if it's in good nick that is.

fastbaja5b
11-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Ok thanks for that I took the fan cover off and that had Chung Yang stamped inside it, Coil looked pretty rats###t rusted bolts and a lot of Clay build up flywheel looks stock to me (can't see if or where it's been lightened)

Still unsure on this motor, for all I know it could be a Rovan 23cc, can't find anything anywhere

And how do you tell what carb is what?

bennyd
11-07-2013, 12:49 AM
If its a 2 bolt it can't be a zen g290 as they're a 4 bolt motor.

towie964
11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
If the flywheel has been lightened, there are a couple of ways to do it, the first is the most common and not as noticeable, the fins are shaved front and rear to remove excess weight and maintain the integrity of the flywheel body, jut measure the overall thickness of the flywheel (including the fins) and compare to a stock flywheel, this will tell you if the fins have been shaved

The second way they lighten flywheels is to drill them, removing material from the main body of the unit, this is not my preferred method, as it can reduce the strength of the flywheel and increases the chance of the flywheel detonating at high RPM

Most barrels have a small number cast into it on the flywheel side, the numbers range from 32 to 36, this is the piston size (diameter), and on the opposite side there is usually the manufacturer name (Chung Yang, Rovan, KM, etc)

Hopefully this might help you ID the engine a little easier

fastbaja5b
12-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks for that, got the motor out, no id name on the crank case at all, I have an old 23cc in bits and the flywheels looked identical, checked the measurements stamped on the head and it's definately a 30.5 so that's a plus. What brand? Who knows!

But I got another Baja off gumtree for parts, nice 4 bolt G290 in there to keep, as well as the Killswitch and a 5765 servo so thats steering (5765) and throttle (5745) sorted.

Ordered the Roller from PSR, so budget is shot now! Whatever the part outs of 2 Bajas get as well as trying to move a RTR Summit.

Wife gives me that "What are you up to" look? My boss calls it Mad Scientist mode, my son, he just loves playing with a pile of Baja Wheels (and trying to put them on his Summit)

towie964
12-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for that, got the motor out, no id name on the crank case at all, I have an old 23cc in bits and the flywheels looked identical, checked the measurements stamped on the head and it's definately a 30.5 so that's a plus. What brand? Who knows!

But I got another Baja off gumtree for parts, nice 4 bolt G290 in there to keep, as well as the Killswitch and a 5765 servo so thats steering (5765) and throttle (5745) sorted.

Ordered the Roller from PSR, so budget is shot now! Whatever the part outs of 2 Bajas get as well as trying to move a RTR Summit.

Wife gives me that "What are you up to" look? My boss calls it Mad Scientist mode, my son, he just loves playing with a pile of Baja Wheels (and trying to put them on his Summit)

There is an adaptor on the market that will allow him to do just that....Hpi have them, they are used for dropping Baja wheels on a Savage

fastbaja5b
15-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Thats ok he has some Proline mashers to use

Now... got the 5ive, its bigger than the Baja! Now, 1st problem, I have a Hitec 5745 for throttle and 5765 for steering, they don't fit! They're too small!

Ideas?

Thexder
15-07-2013, 10:06 PM
You would need to make an adapter plate as the stock servo holder is designed to the mega servos Hitec 5805 or the 805 or the savox 235/236. There are other brands but just check out the dimensions.
Are you considering dual steering?

fastbaja5b
16-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Ok thanks for that I found that the two Baja rx boxes that I took these servos from had the l spare adapter so used those.

Dual Steering? Maybe at some point, depends on how we go funding wise etc, for now the two Hitecs should be ok

Thexder
16-07-2013, 02:02 PM
I only ask because the Area RC dual servo setup uses the Hitec 5765 servos for steering so you could use the 5765 that you have already with it. Just a thought.

fastbaja5b
16-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah maybe down the line, but the price of these dual set ups, for what they are is quite high, as are most of the senseless blingy things people tend to throw on 1/5 scalers.

Godles
16-07-2013, 04:26 PM
the 5ive has been notorious for burning out steering servos in the stock set up

Uber RC have released a pretty decent set up lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/8463_341894795941322_1043682636_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1002385_341894819274653_569808995_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1011929_341894902607978_1001796939_n.jpg

CreepShow
16-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Those servos will be available everywhere very soon, they are made by 2-3 of the common china servo factorys and no doubt cheaper fitting kits will follow

fastbaja5b
31-07-2013, 11:37 AM
...until then I have a 5765 on throttle and an old 5745 on steering (because if it burns out, no biggy) I did notice these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=23491

For the price I figure I'll pick a couple up see how they go, they may last a day, a month, a year, who knows?

Finally got everything in, G290 motor (just replaced flywheel etc), kill switch, Turtle bump stop thing, the rest is all stock, hope to finally try n fire her up on the weekend, I did notice the throttle linkage seemed to really over extend the throttle lever on the carb (big clicking noise) so have dialed the EPA's down on that, not too familiar with the WT990 carbs. Most of the spare $ from the Baja part outs is gone (fixed up my 1/10 racing gear and 2nd hand M11x radio for the Losi)

*fingers crossed*

towie964
31-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Gee that price is cheap...I hope they work well

xxxxkimsbored
31-07-2013, 07:48 PM
It looks like Uber-RC are possibly rebadging some Tonegawa Servos.

Iíve seen some pics of these shoehorned on a hpi baja somewhere.

Not unheard of on the FG stuff too.

Not sure which one though.

http://www.tonegawaseiko.co.jp/pro/e_pro01.html

http://www.tonegawaseiko.co.jp/pro/e_pro02.html

xxxxkimsbored
31-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Those servos will be available everywhere very soon, they are made by 2-3 of the common china servo factorys and no doubt cheaper fitting kits will follow

Do you have any links?

xxxxkimsbored
31-07-2013, 08:11 PM
...until then I have a 5765 on throttle and an old 5745 on steering (because if it burns out, no biggy) I did notice these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=23491

For the price I figure I'll pick a couple up see how they go, they may last a day, a month, a year, who knows?

Finally got everything in, G290 motor (just replaced flywheel etc), kill switch, Turtle bump stop thing, the rest is all stock, hope to finally try n fire her up on the weekend, I did notice the throttle linkage seemed to really over extend the throttle lever on the carb (big clicking noise) so have dialed the EPA's down on that, not too familiar with the WT990 carbs. Most of the spare $ from the Baja part outs is gone (fixed up my 1/10 racing gear and 2nd hand M11x radio for the Losi)

*fingers crossed*

Am definitely keen to hear how it goes with that HK servo nexx.

fastbaja5b
31-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Came home early today, figured I had the 5ive set up and was ready for it's maiden voyage.... WRONG!

Had the G290 in there, and every 2nd or 3rd pull would slip, when it was grabbing the flywheel it wasn't firing, Standard G990 carb, checked it had spark there, but wouldn't start for me.

Took it out, bolted in the old 30.5 I have (after changing air filter and clutch thing over) That had a 668 Carb, started ok, cool, (didn't have air filter sponge on at this time) but throttle link was out, turned it off...... tried to restart once I fixed the servo and put the foam sponge on the air filter, still brand new, wouldn't start, after 4 or 5 pulls the starter rope came out.... FFS!

Took that pull start off and it's different inside to the Zenoah one so couldn't use that on there (see pics, plastic housing outside starter pawl) Just been advised it's fine so tested, the pawl wasn't retracting, so 3 dead pull starts FML!

So 2 hrs later, I am not a happy camper, nasty blister on my knuckle from the pull start and wondering if getting back into 5th scale was worth it.....

Should I just buy a new motor so I know that it ''should' work rather than aa 2nd hand maybe? Seems these Zenoahs come with chokeless carbs now, isn't that a problem?