: Thexder's Losi Build

Thexder
03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
I've seen some awesome Losi 5ive T builds on other forums and thought I would show what I've been doing to mine.
I got my Losi second hand and with a few mods already done
RCMK Head
TC Steering Brace
Senad Short Air Filter
Alum Front / Rear Brace
Alum Servo Saver Arm
Quick Release Fuel Lines
Olimate Tuned Pipe Unsilenced

I do love the look of the truck and the low profile it has. I know everyone has seen them before but I had it on my workbench just sitting there looking at it.

Godles
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
aren't they just huge when you first see them!

even next to the baja the 5ive feels massive!!

Carnivean
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
They are beasts, love the look of them indeed. Nice Thexder

Thexder
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah Luke, even when I saw them up at Monarto I didn't get how much bigger they were till I had it on my workbench. Heavier too.

aren't they just huge when you first see them!

even next to the baja the 5ive feels massive!!

Thexder
03-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I wanted to go over it and see what it was like internally and if anything needed to be replaced/fixed and what I wanted to mod. The plan was to get this truck relative bash proof and ready for racing up at Monarto.
Working on this truck is so different to working on a Baja, so much room and it easy to remove the engine, center Diff and other parts off the main chassis.
After listening to the guys up at Monarto, I wanted to do a dual steering system to help it around the track. After stripping it down I noticed that one of the blue brakes had rounded on the cup, so new brakes were required and while I was going to do that, I thought I might upgrade a few other things as well.
Bartolone Brake Discs
Area RC Dual Servo Steering System
Alloy Center Diff Supports
I swapped the Senad Short Filter to a DT1 Filter
All new Servos - 2x Hitec 5765 for steering, 1x Savox 235 for brake/throttle
3000Ah Lipo Battery to replace the stock

The stock body was already cracked in the front section when I got it and I was just going to replace it with the same but after seeing the Hemistorm Penta body, I feel in love with the look of it and got the basic kit without the fenders, it's kind of a cross between a buggy and a truck. I also had a colour theme in mind so I got...
Hemistorm Penta Body
Jofer Captured Wheelnuts
Silverback Inner/Outer Beadlocks

More to come

Thexder
03-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Awesome day outside and the paint is dry on the Penta body.

Thexder
03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Cheers, they arent as elegant and the Elcons or the MCDs but they are chunky and I like that.

They are beasts, love the look of them indeed. Nice Thexder

Carnivean
03-07-2013, 12:07 PM
That looks great Thex. Is it number 66 or 99 :P

Thexder
03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Lol, my daughter asked the same question. It's 99. I might have to get a white sticker # to put at the front as I painted the numbers.
It's my first lg scale paint job so it is a bit basic but I think it didn't come out too bad. So much easier to paint small sections than one whole big body.

Vital-Blurs
03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Looking forward to seeing it on the car mate. I've always liked the black / yellow combination......The Hornet! :cool:

little_drifter
03-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Nice one mate, looks sweet. Cant wait to race you at Monarto! would we be in the same class?

Are you going to be there Sunday?

Thexder
03-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I doubt I'll be there on the 7th though I want to be. My wife is due on the 8th so sometime between now and them my son will be born. So no racing for now. Hope to get up there for the practice though or a bash sometime.

With regard to same class, it depends on what class you are racing. I plan to race in 2wd outlaw and 4wd outlaw so if you are in either of those, you will be.

little_drifter
03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Excellent, I look forward to it.

Now get a pic or 2 of that body on the losi!

What paint did you use? Tamiya? if so how many cans?

Thexder
03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Mounted up the body to see what it looked like and see if it started. Still need to fix a few things more before I bash it but at least it's off the bench.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/03/2epu2ujy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/03/ubeqanep.jpg

little_drifter
03-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Yep I like it, it looks tough. Much better then the stock body.

Thexder
03-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Matt, I used Tamiya rattle cans and Bob Dively Liquid Mask to do the body. About 2 1/2 cans of Yellow and about 2 cans of Black. Small amount of white for the numbers and silver for the vents on the front and the sides.

Excellent, I look forward to it.

Now get a pic or 2 of that body on the losi!

What paint did you use? Tamiya? if so how many cans?

little_drifter
04-07-2013, 06:13 AM
Thanks mate, I wanted an idea as I am going to paint a new body for the MCD but had no idea how many cans Id need as I have never painted a 1/5 scale body before.

Carnivean
04-07-2013, 09:40 AM
You may have to race Outlaw LD based on the motors there.
Your OBR would for sure I would have thought.
I can't find the link to the association stuff but even the other 2 as they are above 26cc may be outlaw with the pipes you have

Thexder
04-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Full information about the classes that are racing at Monarto

http://ozlargescale.com/index.php?topic=12334.msg220087#msg220087

Carnivean
04-07-2013, 12:15 PM
yeah they follow AARCMCC, so you are outlaw for everything there by the looks of it LD. Once you go over 26cc you are Outlaw

little_drifter
04-07-2013, 06:11 PM
yeah they follow AARCMCC, so you are outlaw for everything there by the looks of it LD. Once you go over 26cc you are Outlaw
Yeah outlaw for me, it sounds so bad ass.

Vital-Blurs
05-07-2013, 12:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tNOLwtH.gif

Thexder
05-07-2013, 07:15 AM
I'm still waiting on a Rx LiPo battery that I ordered from Hobby King but I got a small LiPo (2200mA, 7.4v) from PSR the other day and thought I would try that with the dual set.
I made up a lead to convert the Deans plug to a standard Rx plug and took a saw to the old battery box from the stock steering and throttle setup.
Unlike the electrics box on the Baja, there is heaps of room for a battery, kill switch and light controller if you wanted.
Cutting the battery box off the stock setup, I mounted it to the battery plate. Fits well and now the battery is protected.
It's amazing how different the steering is using the LiPo over the stock battery.

little_drifter
05-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Are you using HV servos? is the lipo going straight to the rx?

Thexder
05-07-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm running a Savox 235 for the throttle/brake and dual Hitec 5765's. Both are 7.4v so I should expect a difference. Have the battery going directly to the rx at this stage.

Thexder
06-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Cheers to Easy I got a few goodies, full screw and bearing kit plus Aluminum Hot Racing rear arms. Love the finish on them. Just wish I could find a front set. Also installed the Full Force shock socks. The yellow isn't exactly what I wanted but it's as close as I can get. It will be interesting to see how that fare compared to the Outware shock covers that I have on the Baja, they're dirty but have lasted 1 1/2 years of bashing/racing.

Thexder
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Well, I had some free time yesterday, got around removing the wheels, giving them a sand down and dyeing the wheels black. Came out well and look much better than the grey.

little_drifter
10-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Looks sweet as. Is the bun out the oven yet?

Thexder
10-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Yes, Felix was born yesterday morning 9:14am and we all came home that afternoon. Pretty happy and proud Dad at the moment.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/mu8yqe9u.jpg

Vital-Blurs
10-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Congratulations Mark.....and Felix, cool name :thumb:

The car looks wicked mate. That'll turn a few heads at the track ;)

millzee
11-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Congrats to you and your wife, a boy, you'll have plenty of future reasons to buy the next toy!

Thexder
11-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Cheers guys, I was in PSR the other day with my eldest daughter and she was really keen to get a RC buggy, so don't need Felix for that excuse :)

Thexder
17-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Well my number decals arrived today. Big thanks go to Trophy5th on OZLS for doing those for me. Now it looks ready for Monarto.

little_drifter
17-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Congrats on little Felix! Hope mum and bub are doing well.

Back to RC...... :)....... the Losi looks sweet!

Thexder
29-07-2013, 05:15 PM
So, racing hasn't happened yet which for the Losi is a good thing. I've sorted out some issues I was having with the carby, took both the Losi and the Baja to the local park to have a bit of a test drive and found out the the brakes on the Losi kept binding. I had replaced the stock centre diff mount with Alloy posts and the brake caliper bolts kept coming loose. Even after they were threadlocked. So it looks like I'll have to go back to the stock diff mount till I can invest in the Modified RC diff mount. To me that looks like the way to go for long term strength and reliability.

little_drifter
29-07-2013, 05:34 PM
RC is frustrating like that isn't it.

I took my MCD out for a bash with the guys on the weekend and didn't even have an awkward landing or a hit to teh front wheels yet my servo just died! SUCKS.

Lucky there will be another MCD on my doorstep tomorrow! :)

Thexder
30-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Matt, I don't know how you can do it :) two's enough for me at this stage.
Yeah it can be frustrating, though it's better to have things like this happen while I test it out rather than have it happen up at Monarto.

Thexder
06-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Well race day came and went. Was a great day even though I didn't get that much track time with the Losi that I would have hoped.
I decided to take both the Baja and the Losi as I wasn't too sure how the Losi would go and I knew that the Baja was running well. Really happy with my Baja, I was slow as a wet rag but was great seeing it go around the track and handled like I remembered. When it came to racing with the Losi, as soon as we started I was smiling all the time. Such a different car to drive. I know this isn't an Elcon, Horrman or even a MCD but having not driven a 4WD before it was just a fun drive. I'm sure I was smiling ear to ear during those 8 minutes for heat 1.
Unfortunately, I didn't get it in for heat 2 as one of my rear shocks came apart and I didn't see it till I was about to start the race. Plus, I lost a bolt in the center diff holding the front brake calipers. Got it fixed in time for the finals. I was doing well till my rear brake locked up and stopped me from continuing, plus I noticed the rear shock was leaking again. I didn't really care though. Was a blast to drive.
One thing I noticed though, my Penta body did a great job of keeping the mud out of the cage. There was hardly a scrap of dirt inside, plenty of mud around the outside though. My only complaint was that I expected the body to last a bit longer that it did before it got cracked. There are minor cracks around the front corners but a big crack though the right side panel. Considering I don't remember crashing it or having any collisions I wasn't sure how that happened. Still though, I can easily replace the side panel, just have to paint it up first.

little_drifter
06-08-2013, 05:57 PM
So is the losi living up to what you thought or wanted it to be? I hate it when you buy an RC and it doesn't perform how you thought it would. Thats when I sell it and buy somthing else.

I look forward to see you and the losi and the next TnT day, Ill be there for sure.

Thexder
06-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Actually I was pretty happy. Each time I was cornering I had a big smile on my face. Ah, the joys of 4WD. I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to complete the final but considering it was the first time on the track and the first time I had a good bash with it I wasn't expecting it to be perfect. Hopefully I can play with the setup a bit more on the 18th.