Australian RC Forums banner

RC Sailboat Build - FINISHED PICS!!!

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  danhfvcsd 
#1 ·
Ok - i'm being mega lazy here - cause i've started a thread in a sailboat forum on this and am gonna copy/paste it all - but thought maybe someone here might find it interesting - if not - oh well -lol- I'll post up other posts aswell so it kinda makes sense -lol-

Fell free to throw input in to any problems i am having tho!!! -lol-

Hey guys! Got the boat and started the build
I don't have all the proper tools and adhesives - but i think i'm doing ok without -lol-

To me - i wish parts were labelled a bit more obviously, and the instructions were clearer - i mean - it was ok - but i had to read it a couple of times to get the idea of what was what - it also doesn't label some of the parts later on, and i don't know the tech terms/names for some things, so have been confused on that situation - all that will come later in the thread tho

This is the progress i have made so far.... (not very far -lmao- been lazy/waiting for glue to dry overnight etc/in between other stuff/missing drill bits etc -lol-)

This is what i took out of the box
(except for the adhesives at the bottom right corner)

This is my custom boat stand -lol- The hole at the bottom was for the keel fin to pass through when it was drying

Here i have installed the 'Keel Trunk' and the 'Rudder Block'
I accidentally used too much glue first up on the trunk - and it kinda leaked through onto the keel fin (had to use the keel fin to keep the 'trunk' centered etc in first five minutes of drying - said instructions -lol-) All good now tho hehehe

Here on the deck - i've glued on the wood blocks and the deck hatch

OK - Got a problem here.....

This is the top of the keel fin - the screw thing there needs to sit tightly in that groove there - the threaded end goes up through the top of the deck and secures with a wingnut.

I need to know what would be the best way to attach this 'screw' to the keel fin now? It has a fair bit of play in there - just need an idea to fill it in with?

Should i just sit it in place, then smear it all up with some sort of filler and then sand it back all flush? If so - what type of filler is needed? This is where i need the modellers experience -lol-

I hope i make sense - and sorry for the crap picture - not sure how to use it properly, and the flower macro was on -lol-Edited by: danhfvcsd

See less See more
#2 ·
Start Other User's Post
<DIV>Neat looking boat there!

Humm, the keel bolt does look to be on the small side but this could be OK... I assume that the bolt holds the keel up in the keel box and isn't subjected to any side loading? one idea might be to tape up one side and top edge of the keel, be sure the bolt is positioned correctly and then fill the area up with 30 minute epoxy- (waterproof) If you are careful in the amount you pour, you may not have to do much, if any sanding to get it to fit in the keel box- a 'tight' fit here could be a good thing actually-
</DIV>
<DIV>End Other User's Post</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>ahhh - good idea!
Never would have thought about using tape -lol- I'll do that tonight, and let you know how i go
Thanks for the tip buddy!

I'm kinda stuck after that tho anyways - need a 1/32 or 3/64 drill bit - but don't have one -lol-

With the 'Keel Bulb" assembly - it says to pour the "lead shot" into it, and saturate the shot with glue - do i use all of the lead shot that was given to me in the bag? And is there a certain area in the keel bulb that it should be placed? or is it ok to just sit anywhere in there? (front/back/middle)
In the diagram - it's actually placed towards the front

OH!! I also seem to be missing the "Crane" - the top of the mast where all the lines etc pass through? can i just use any piece of stiff plastic? (not sure of exact name - sorry)

It DOES include a strip of white and black stiff plastic (pictured in first pic - left side) - although it appears the white part is meant for the "Sail Winch Arm" for the servo...but i have no idea what the black part is - and it seems a lil small for the "crane" - although i've no idea how big the crane should be anyways?

Spose i can cut up an off cut of something stiff from somewhere to replace for the crane anyways -lol-</DIV></DIV>

#4 ·
-lmao- i forgot i had that box hehehe - it was in the back of my closet - i ripped a hole in the bottom of the box for the keel fin to sit through -lol- I had to sit the fin in the centre slot while the glue was setting hehehe Edited by: danhfvcsd

#5 ·
no way dude

i got an old boat. probly isent ment to be a sailing boat but ill make it into one... eventualy

i got 3 sails for it and i have no idea what to do when it comes to
sailing boats. so we should catch up and maby you could give me a hand
hears some pics, im still sanding it though

Edited by: Skidd

#6 ·
holy crap man!!! me and you have too much in common! -lmao-

I fully have no idea really on these things - i just started too -lmao-But there's a crapload of (old -lol-) fellas that hook up atsome lake in Palm Beach every saturday and wednesday arvos

Do you know what companymakes the boat you have? I like it man - it looks cool - and it's a cat!
I think the guys down at HobbyHaven would or should know how they work - i have a feeling they were the guys that setup the whole sailing event kinda things that go on down at palm beach (oh yeah - on laguna drv
)

#7 ·
Start Other User's Post
<DIV>Well, I'm not sure how to specifically answer the keel bulb question but I know for sure, if you email the folks at Victor Models, they will get right back to you with a good answer- I was curious about another one of their kits and they were very responsive and friendly.

Is the mast on this one wood?

</DIV>
<DIV>End Other User's Post</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Start danhfvcsd</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Yep - mast is wood
It comes in two lengths, and is held together by glue and a coupler(?) i think
I have to 'seal' the wood and sand back a couple times, then paint it with black acrylic paint

Got lazy last night, and didn't touch it -lol- Will update some more later tonight/tomorrow hopefully

btw - thanks for the tips! i'll send em an email!
</DIV>
<DIV>END danhfvcsd</DIV>
<DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>

Start Other User's Post

G'day Danhfvcsd,

If it's any help, the masthead crane on my Voyager is not that big, only about 6mm long. You could easily overlook it if your not sure what your looking for or how large it is.

How's it all coming along? Looks a great boat!

Cheers,

Paul

Melbourne

End Other User's Post

Start Other User's Post
<DIV>Dan,
Take a look at the pictures of the boat on the box. Give you any ideas about what the crane looks like? Sort of think the black thingy might be it, maybe?
If the rest of the keel is 'right' (close anyway), where the lead ends up in the bulb doesn't make a lot of difference. Just DON'T use expanding glue as a filler! You have no idea how much 'fun' that is to clean up, if it ever seems to quit expanding - LOL! (Don't ask how I know that.)
Have fun...
- 'Doc</DIV>

End Other User's Post

Start danhfvcsd
<DIV>Thanks for the help guys!!

I have a feeling the crane must be the small black part, specially if your Voyager's crane is only 6mm long Paul -lol- - but there really is nothing else there that it could be. It just seemed a lil strange i guess for the fact that the "Sail Winch Arm" is quite large in comparison hehehe.

I've sussed out the gap in the keel's screw (up the top - the picture just above) - i just used the ca glue - one small layer, waited for it to dry - and then another on top hehehe - just kept on with that till it filled in nicely - i'll have to sand a lil bit of the bulge it left away - but looks like it's pretty strong

I won't ask about the expanding glue! -lol- It's kinda like a rubbery drying glue - holds fairly stiff, but allows a lil bit of flex before it lets go - should be ok in the areas i used it in i think

I've since glued the rudder together and another small thing i forget -lol- But i'll update later tonight/tomorrow with some more pics

Thanks again guys for taking the time to help!! I really appreciate it hey

regards,

-daniel</DIV>
<DIV>End danhfvcsd</DIV></DIV>

#8 ·
oh yeah those guys are so much better than helmet

the fat dude that works there is a champ. sadly i bought a realy crap
venom micro helli. it never flew. EVER!! i realy should sell it but im
too lazy and ill probs only get like $50 for it. yeah umm about the
sailboat .. its a modle of my dady 60 foot one , its made out of the
same wood n stuff we used to build the big one alll the offcuts n
stuff. its a pretty heavy modle but it glides through the water so
nicely. im sanding off the ipoxy based paint cause its realy sh!t and
is all cracked n stuff. oi do you have msn ?

#9 ·
holy crap - that sailboat is custom made by you guys??? along with a fullsize custom made boat?!?!??! OMG -lol-

oh - btw, this is too bizarre - i used to have a mini dragonfly!!!! -lmfao- Keep it man - there's so many things you can do with those lil helis, as heaps of em appeared to be fairly compatible
There's been a bit of a heli takeover round here too, so plenty of info round
The user AusRC here knows heaps bout helis - and he lives up north of brissy i think too
Send him a PM if you want some info, or better yet - start a new thread on it- everyone round here will lead ya in the right direction - they're all good blokes here

oh - msn
danhfvcsd@hotmail.com

#11 ·
Small update

You'll have to excuse the dodgey work i've done -lol- Any tips are appreciated - i need all the advice i can get -lol-

http://www.ausrc.com/galleries/danhfvcsd/Sailing/Build_012.jpg
- Side shot, shows the fogging effect i got from the CA glue - will be repainting pretty much the whole thing when i glue the mast

http://www.ausrc.com/galleries/danhfvcsd/Sailing/Build_013.jpg
- Does the....."threaded rod" that comes from the keel... does that look like i pushed it through too high? -lol- Will it make much of a difference do you think? I've floated the boat before - and seems fine.... not with sails in the wind tho! -lol-

http://www.ausrc.com/galleries/danhfvcsd/Sailing/Build_014.jpg
- This is the dodgy side of the rudder - it's fairly warped and wrinkled - but surprisingly the camera didn't quite pick it up - might need to play with light settings -lol-

http://www.ausrc.com/galleries/danhfvcsd/Sailing/Build_015.jpg
- Mast shot...

http://www.ausrc.com/galleries/danhfvcsd/Sailing/Build_016.jpg
- Shot of booms or jibs?? -lol- With the main sail arm for the servo, servo mounts and left over wood blocks??? dunno what i missed there -lmao- Maybe they're still to come

http://www.ausrc.com/galleries/danhfvcsd/Sailing/Build_017.jpg
- Mast just sitting there - overview of whole boat so far basically....

I also used CA glue when i screwed in the screw eye things for the rigging on the deck - hopefully they'll stay there? -lol- I used a small piece of fuel tube aswell on the rudder... section that's shown above the deck, to keep things tight and solid

#12 ·
I can honestly say, that i havent had this much initial enjoyment out of any of the rc's i own/have owned of all time (bar my LST, cause that was anticipation to the max hehehe) I'm gonna love this hobby! -lol-

Rigging was quite easy compared to what i was dreading in my mind! It went together all in about an hour and a half or so - is that good for a beginner's first rigging job? - i thought it was! -lol-

oh!!! I also found it quite easy to get the hang of too!!! I'll admit i found upwind quite hard tho -lol- Kinda had to have the sails alllmost all the way in and be side on diagonally into the wind to get anyhere - and even then, it was pretty hard -lol-

All the pics are off my jetty, just out the back of my house

#14 ·
Thats a sweet looking yacht. Where abouts did you get the kit from? what does it use for ballast in the keel? how many channels etc etc? Ive donea fair bit of sailing on full size boats and always wanted a small one I can keep in the cupboard lol. some more pics/vid if any would be cool. thx

Reactor

#16 ·
ReaCtoR said:
Thats a sweet looking yacht. Where abouts did you get the kit from? what does it use for ballast in the keel? how many channels etc etc? Ive donea fair bit of sailing on full size boats and always wanted a small one I can keep in the cupboard lol. some more pics/vid if any would be cool. thx

Reactor

I got the kit at Hobbystation in Archerfield
It came with everything ya need - minus tools and adhesives -lol- The keel is filled with sh*tloads of tiny lead balls, and CA glue - so they dont shake round in there i think - i ran out of CA when i was doing this, so some are still shakin in there like marraccas -lmao-

It's just a 2channel - two stock standard servos too and runs on 4 aa's
I was running my yacht yesterday for about2 maybe 3 hours or so with venom 2300mah aa's, and it's still good to go -lol-

As long as you know something about sailing - this will be pissa for ya
i knew absolutely nothing, so was tricky for me in some parts-lol- But the build was a pain aswell, just cause i didn't have tools and adhesives - it's made in USA, so all directions call for imperial measurments in drill bits and length measurements in inches etc - not too bad of a problem tho - i just used a similar size drill bit to what they said, and is all good

As you'll also note - this boat went together pretty damn dodgey (like - the build that i did was dodgey as -lol-) but it seems to be fine! It's so much more satisfying i think, because i actually built it all....kinda - well - more effort has gone into this than putting together any car or truck i've had -lol-

Pics and vids to come for sure!!! I'll start a new thread when i get some
Vid wont be very good tho unfortunately - only have more of a picture camera than a video camera -lol-

Skidd said:
Great to see it finally getting it's maiden voyage... I'll bet the sailing bug is just as addictive as the off road bug.

Now you just need a pet mouse (have you seen the movie Stuart Little).

-lmao-!! haven't seen the movie - but have the thought in my mind! -lol- We were actually gonna get some bread onto it, and see if the ducks that were passing by would eat off it - unfortunately the bread fell off before it got to them - they ran away from it too -lol-

GUESS what i just realised - i have the day off - so - guess what i'm doing today?? -lol-Edited by: danhfvcsd

#18 ·
-lol- that'd be SO funny - ur making me wanna get a mouse now! -lol-

I lied - i dont have the day off anymore...gay dad makin me stay here for nothin, i dont even have any work TO do - sh*tness
guess i'll be browsing the net til 5 pm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.