Australian RC Forums banner

ENGINE Help plz

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  brumpy 
#1 ·
HI THERE, AM PRETTY NEW TO NITRO RACING...HAVEHAD MY SACKER FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS AND RUN A NOVASOSSI P5T ENGINE...HAVE HAD SORT OF AN ON GOING PROBLEM WITH IT CONSTANTLY STOOLING.....HAVE MESSED ABOUT WITH ALL THE LOW SPEEED, ILDE SCREWS ETC AND HAD PLP SET IT UP FOR ME, BUT STILL THE PROBLEM PERSISTS....MY CURRENT SITUATION IS THAT ITS GOING THROUGH GLOW PLUGS LIKE ANYTHING, IE TO LEAN, BUT ITS SPITTING OUT FUEL...HIGHTEMP SEALANT HAS BEEN APPLIED TO ALL AIRLEAK POSSIBLE AREAS ON ENGINE...PLS HELP.....CHEERS MITCH

See less See more
#2 ·
I used to have an onroad that was blowing glowplugs because it was
running far too rich. Dont you have factory settings to go back to?

#4 ·
You should be able to find some sort of factory setting on the net. If
its spitting fuel out of the pipe, stalling and blowing glowplugs then
I'd say its running too rich and the idle is too low.

Take the airfilter off and set the idle so its open about 1-1.5mm...
that'll be a good starting point. Not sure on low speed but I reckon
you cant really go wrong with setting the high speed needle to 4-5
turns from fully screwed in. If it stalls when you go to take off from
idle and its spitting out fuel then the low speed is too rich...
gradually lean it off at 1/4 turns at a time.

Give it a try anyway.... personally I'd be going to the Novarossi site and sending them an email.

#6 ·
dont go down it fuel its not good generaly set the low end mixture to flush with the block then the top end to i would say three full turns out and work your way into two and three quarters out and try that and get some decent fuel get it up to 20 and make the motor work hard

#7 ·
CHEERS GUYS, WILL GET ME A BATCH OF PLUGS AND FUEL AND GO OUT ON WEEKEND AND TRY AGAIN...THOUGHT THAT IF IT WAS RUNNING TO RICH THEN MY MOTOR WOULD NOT BE GETTING HOT ENOUGH TO BURNT OUT THE PLUGS AFTER 5 MINS...ANYWAY,HAVE TRIED THE NOVAROSSI SITE AND CANT FIND ANYFACTORY RESETTING INFO..SO WILLPRINT OUT THESE SUGGESTIONS AND TAKE THEM WITH ME, PLUS ASK THE LOCAL HOBBY SHOP.....CHEERS ONCE AGAIN DUDES..MITCH

#9 ·
I'm more concerned with the fact that his LHS cant tune it.

If you werent in WA I'd swear you were taking it to Frontline Hobbies.

#12 ·
uk_in_oz_racer said:
got a meduim and cold turbo plug, will see
how it goes on sat with all these sujjestions i print out and take with
me, i should be able to sort something.ha..,

,Jastel...me no get ya frontline hobbies bit..?

Be careful, turbo plugs only work in turbo engines...you need a special
head button to use them. They will not work in regular engines.

#13 ·
twizm said:
Be careful, turbo plugs only work in turbo engines...you need a special head button to use them. They will not work in regular engines.

thats exactly right, and a turbo plug doesnt use a glowplug washer due to the tapered shape of the plug.

uk_in_oz_racer: what fuel are you using (exact fuel mix) and what glowplug?

put a new plug in it and run it for a while.

black buildup on glowplug wire = too rich. You may also see deposits on the wire.

grey = optimum performance and running at max power.

white = far too lean, plug is overheating and burning out.Edited by: Oblivion

#14 ·
Yo dude, yeah i got me 2 x turbo plugs as i have a novarossi p5t turbo engine...and run on already made 25% nitro..which i have bern told is correct..

my plugs a getting a bit black on the coil, and spitting fuel, so to rich is a good start, but i have had loads of plp look and fiddle with it,so i need to start from new settings again..so have printed out you first post Oblivion and will test tomorow...would of loved to have a had a temp meter whilst tunning on sat but my main problem at the mo is to stop it stalling a and blowing plugs in 5 mins flat...cheers guys once again..

#15 ·
O.K folkes, thinks me have sorted it today.........wound in and out 4 .5 turns on the high sigh side......leaned out the low side by 3 massive hole turns of what it was on and ran it for 10mins with same type of turbo plug....

hey presto, no stalling on idle or low speed....ie running far to rich on low speed before me thinks....gave it a FLOGGING and my engine temp max was 130 C........It seemed to have alot of smoke on low and not much on top end without missing..so to me seems perfect...all have to do now is probably adjust low speed slightly to get it a bit more pucnhy....anyway loads better that before see original post, cheers for your engine post oblivion..................

#17 ·
yeah mate....i know i`m too late but the rossi motor should run less oil content fuel than most other 21 motors........i thought the fuel sounded like it was the problem...had a mate give me an 8 port to tune and it was the fuel(he had the fuel in his shed for 3 months)....i used some of my fuel and it was good.....i tune my motor from new and just change the main needle only slightly in its life time....just more concerned in racin than trying to adjust everything.......CHOW AMIGO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.